My Clever Shopping

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Ke Gordon • Dec 15, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So, I went shopping yesterday, and I would say it was a success. I got a free pastry from Panera bread, got some low cost presents at Five Below, and went to Target whereupon using a combination of manufacturer's and store coupons I was able to save 50 percent on my shopping. My only frustration was I couldn't get the cartwheel app to work on my phone or I might have saved more. I also got 50 percent off my pizza at Papa Johns by using the code 50Holiday. I think that was it..so...it was a good day.!

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It sounds like you had a day full of bargains, and I would also call it a great success! I wish I could get as many deals as you do over here. I went to a huge department store this afternoon, and was quite take aback by the absence of Christmas promotions. Imagine my shock when I asked the customer service assistant what the situation was and she said there'd be a sale day all day tomorrow. BUT that was it all festive season LOL I just couldn't believe it!

3. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    Well Lushlala, I guess you will have to confine your bargain hunting to online. There are lots of online sales, coupons, specials and promo codes you can take part in. Of course not everything works like clockwork. Today, I was trying to get a coupon ofor breathe right nasal strips..and had to download everything on the computer hooked to the printer...which.."of course" you know it...had to update itself for a half an hour. I just bagged it! maybe another time!

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon....you're absolutely right! It's like you were there when I told the customer service assistant I'd just have to shop online and get my stuff from the UK. I told her that her store was missing a trick because this is the time of year to really rake it in through promotions. It's just ridiculous.

5. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I love when that happens. You feel like you have just won the lottery. I always tick off all the savings that I get through coupons and the apps that I use and it is a good boost to my mood because it is more money in my pocket instead of theirs. I will get the same feeling when I find good deals on clearance items too.

6. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Looks like you had an awesome day. I usually try to plan my shopping trips out. When I do, I end up saving a lot, although I haven't checked how much I save in terms of percentage points. Its the unplanned ones that hurt me. Although, I do search for codes and coupons even then, but sometimes I just can't seem to find any.

7. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    Yes, it is cool...yesterday I kind of triple saved because I had a store coupon, a coupon from coupons dot com, and also the purchase should get me credit on savings star so it is almost like having triple coupons...woohoo! Some stores at one time, used to offer triple coupons, but it has been quite a while since I have seen that. Even double coupons are a rarity these days it seems.

#7Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2016
  8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy hearing (well, reading to be exact) about other people's clever shopping endeavors. Saving money on my shopping is a lifestyle thing for me, so I'm always looking for great tips and ideas. I guess I'm going to have to break down and get some apps (I hate how they are so intrusive). I'll have to see if they are worth the compromise.

All of your other methods seem to work great. I need to plan a shopping day... well a savings day... like that myself. I love doing that. I hit all the stores that I usually don't get too and take advantage of all they have to offer. Hey, half price lunch would be the cherry on top.

Off to scour coupons now!

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's very diligent of you. You must have carefully planned out the whole thing. Where I'm from, even though we receive discount coupons and freebies once in a while, when I try to weigh in everything, the costs still outweigh the perks. Sometimes I try to use my reward cards but the discounts I get aren't that much. Yes, you can be thankful. Still, it's too small to make a difference.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sometimes shop on impulse or when by chance we are near the mall of a Sunday market. But usually, I shop armed with information on what stores are having sales or what items are on discounts. My connections are mostly my colleagues in the office who never fail to inform me of such bargains particularly those sales slated for the weekend. Sometimes we also go to Sunday markets where watermelons and mangoes are on sale. In those cases, I would buy in bulk and give away to the neighbors.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a bit of a conspiracy theory when it comes to cell phone use in stores - that perhaps some stores are purposefully jamming people's cell phone signals so they can't price compare via their phones while shopping. This has happened to me several times at stores such as Giant Eagle or Wal-Mart, where I have a perfectly fine signal until I walk into the store, then my data completely dies and I cannot even make a phone call to anyone either. I did switch over to T-Mobile a couple years ago, which admittedly has spottier coverage than my previous carrier, Verizon. But even with Verizon, my data connection would be very slow to non existent in certain stores.

12. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    Hmmm, I really wouldn't put it past them..but I don't know.I think I just have trouble with my wifi. I really think stores want you to use special apps like Shopkick for instance, other wise why would they sign up with them? Certainly, their participation is optional. I think the Cartwheel app is general is successful for Target in getting customers in the store.