My Most Hated Thing In Gigs/concerts

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by J. Arizin • Apr 7, 2015.

1. J. Arizin

J. ArizinNew Member

Threads:
    I frequently go to bars and watch small gigs. Lately, though, it started losing its appeal for me. I frequent small bars so the place can get crowded and I'm okay with that. I can avoids moshpits and other unruly behavior easily when I don't feel like joining. What is irking me nowadays is these kids with their phones/tablets blocking my view. I hate it when that happens. I mean, you're watching the artists performing in the flesh. How more HD do want it? Then, when you watch it later, the sound quality would suck because you'll hear people cheering instead of the artist. I think going to small venue gigs is losing its appeal because of this practice. That's why I only go to friends' gigs and big concerts. How about you guys? What things irritate you in concerts?

2. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    It amazes me how people turn up at these events and all they seem to do is film it or record it in some fashion. I know they want to be able to review it at a later date or to post it on Facebook just to show how much 'fun' they are having, but they are so disconnected with what's in front of them. They simply aren't be present in the moment - which is really one of the main reasons for going to a concert in the first place.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate how people film the whole thing too, I don't mind the odd photo, but if a 6 ft 3 man is in front of me with he arms up the whole time that would be annoying. I'm usually quite good at getting to the front and then only video the songs I like or take a photo. I went to see Blondie and it was amazing and I had about two people in front of me, that's all.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, some phones can squeeze out a really nice sound out of them, I saw some footage made with an iPhone and the sound was pretty damn clear, almost as clear as my custom-made-for-recording mics. Otherwise, I didn't really ever encountered the problem. I guess people here are more into the music, or something.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I dislike this as well and I never really understood it myself. Unless they have really solid equipment I don't know why they bother. I've been shown a lot of these videos as well and I never really get interested enough to watch it even for a few minutes. I just listen enough to get a sample and quickly zone out.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Same here. I get kind of annoyed when these kids start taking videos of the concert/gig, and they would eventually block your view, you could not even see the performance anymore, and you could barely hear the band play because these kids are giggling and laughing too much, making noises that somehow overpower the music. Really irritating.

7. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I have been to a lot of concerts and gigs in my time, and I have to admit that this is also one thing that's annoying me!

Here in the UK this is a trend if you want to call it that, that's relatively new as well. I'd remember even as recent as a couple of years ago, you could go to a festival or gig and you might get the odd one or two people videoing but that would be it.

Now though the atmosphere is completely dying because all people are worried about is if they can get a decent angle or to get a good picture. Then 20 seconds later theyre stood uploading it and tagging it to social media before they then wait to take the next one.

Its slowly sucking the life out of gigs for me I'm afraid.

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My most hated thing is obviously the inappropriate screaming. I guess that's what I get for not admiring the indie artists but still... It's one thing to scream if the artist says so but it's another thing entirely to be screaming while they're singing/talking. Really, I know you're supposed to get excited but how difficult is it to wait until in between songs?

9. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    That is so true. This generation has become so in love with their cell phones they have to record instead of being in the moment. I hate when people are just rude and push you around or kick you and shove into you. All common courtesy goes out the window when you're at a show. Also people getting drunk and wanting to fight, just stupid. I haven't been to a concert in a long time. It's just not for me.

10. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I won’t lie, I’ve videoed snippets of favorite songs and such during concerts. However, I try to keep it to a minimum, and I’ll only do it if I’m reasonably sure I won’t block anyone’s way. (I’m pretty short so it would be somewhat difficult for me to block most people too badly, haha). I’m definitely not one who would bother videoing an entire gig. I want to be there and experience the majority of the show with my own two eyes, not through a screen. If I wanted that I’d just go to Youtube.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nothing. If I were to let other people get to me like that, I may as well go home because I'm not going to enjoy the band anyway. Instead, I choose to do whatever it takes to enjoy.. I'll move elsewhere, or since I'm small, plow through the crowd and get up front lol. The times are changing and you can sit back and grumble about it and let the good times pass you by.. or you can grow and evolve with it and find new ways to enjoy it all.

12. karamara

karamaraMember

Threads:
    I also hate those idiots who just video tape the whole experience but what I hate the most are those drunk a***s that keeps on messing around with other people, hell sometimes even with the band. One time I saw a drunk kid throw a beer bottle at one of the performers, fortunately it didn't hit but it's annoying for both the audience and the performers especially when they had to stop a whole set just because some drunk teenager have some family issues and don't know how to deal with it.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only thing I get annoyed with are those stupid girls who insist on being sat on someone's shoulders. Selfish or what? They might not be blocking my view but they're certainly obstructing somebody.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    At open standing concerts, I loathe it when people bring back packs stuffed to capacity. Throughout the whole concert I end up getting beat senseless by their stupid back packs as they keep jumping around and turning left and right. I've gotten into physical altercations with people in front of me with those on, and rightly so, they were slamming their damn bag into me and my friends repeatedly. You're at a concert, you're not camping in the freaking wilderness.

People who use flashes when trying to take pictures of the concert. Your flash is completely, COMPLETELY USELESS in a large concert hall or arena. All you are doing is blinding and annoying those near you.

One funny thing that happened once while I was at a Prince concert several years ago - he stopped the whole performance temporarily because some lady in the front row was eating ice cream. Apparently she was so preoccupied with eating her ice cream out of her cup she wasn't even paying attention to the show. He literally looked at her and said "you in the front row eating ice cream... are you with us? may we continue now?". The audience all got a laugh.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not been to that many concerts in my lifetime, but for the few that I have gone to, there have been alcohol available. So that is one thing that annoys me - not that there is alcohol available. But that people abuse it and turn into idiots, or into violent idiots. Also, I have never liked brushing up against strangers, and sometimes the venues are so packed that it is uncomfortable, and it makes pick-pocket theft that much more easy for criminals.

16. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to many concerts but the last time I attended one, what you said was what exactly happened - too many phones and tablets blocking your view. I too am a bit guilty of doing the same thing but the difference is I tried to capture a few performances and wasn't recording the entire concert. I do wish I can go back to the time when people just enjoyed concerts for what they were. It's impossible to jump around when your hands are busy holding a tablet, digicam or smartphone.

17. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    My most hated thing in a concert are numerous banners here and there that can block your view. I once watched a CN Blue concert, and one woman in front kept on hoisting her "Goguma" fan banner. I definitely can read Hangul, so I know her fandom. For Pete's sake, this is no "We Got Married" stint, this is a CN Blue concert! It was extremely annoying. I paid a handsome fee just to see the band live, and that woman just kept on blocking my view with her banner.

Taking pictures in a concert is no big deal for me, and taking videos are just as fine, as long as they're not taking vid of the entire gig. It will annoy people at the back whose views are totally blocked with gadgets. If people are civilized enough to just enjoy the concert without being a bother to others, then that's definitely great.

18. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with this too. Tablets were not really a thing when I last attended a concert. I think that my last one was about five years ago now. But either way, there were many smartphones waving before my eyes, and I am not the tallest person either, and just wanted to see my favorite band perform. But I couldn't because taller people had their phones out waving them around.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The last few concerts I've been to were in arenas and I wasn't on floor level so I haven't had the issue with phones/tablets blocking my view at all. They're all beneath me, so they can capture it for memories and I can still enjoy the show. If I were on ground level, people's backs would be more an issue for me than technology anyway, so still not a problem lol.

20. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I would have to say the thing I dislike most about going to concerts are all the rude people. Particularly the drunk meatheads who seem to be looking to start fights or intimidate people. Also the people who are always looking to start a moshpit, which tends to end up with people getting hurt. So, a combination of things.