My New Appreciation For Aldi

Discussion in Food & Drink started by kayhill • Aug 19, 2012.

1. kayhill

kayhillNew Member

Threads:
    There are several of these stores in my city. I never paid much attention to them as I drove by, that is until today. I was on my way to a baby shower and forgot an item I was supposed to bring. The closest store was Aldi so I stopped in and ended up buying my weekly groceries! I like the entire set up, even though I did not know about the quarter for the cart thing. Long story short, this is my new and only grocery store for the time being.

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I love Aldi's fresh produce - it's excellent quality and much cheaper than other stores. They also have a good frozen food range. People are put off because they don't stock a lot of popular brands, but I'm more interested in the quality inside the packaging than the name on the outside. I do my main shopping at either Aldi or LIDL, depending on where I happen to be and what I'm buying, and then I just top up from other supermarkets for things I can't get there.

Both stores also have a good range of non-food items at competitive prices, and the staff are very well trained. I never have to wait for long in the line, and there are never mistakes on the bill either. I find Aldi and LIDL offer a very positive shopping experience.

3. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    I am so happy you discovered Aldi's! I have been hooked on them since I first walked into their Rockford, IL store. I only shop there and Sav-a-lot because I like the prices, the produce is great, and I am not a big name brand person so it all works for me!

4. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to shop at Aldi; I can get everything I need and spend half the price. They are missing a few things but it usually isn't anything all that important that I can't live without. The produce is hit or miss but when if you get it when it is at its freshest then you are all set.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    A few interesting things I found out about Aldi, some of their products are made by the name brand manufacturers - they just use generic brand packaging. So you still are getting "name brand" product. Also, they own Trader Joe's, another cool grocery store chain that has an awesome frozen food section and cheap wine.

I like Aldi, but the atmosphere in the store is kinda bizzare, especially the cashiers - who always seem kind of blank and emotionless. I heard they pay them well though. Also I never understood why they don't offer bags, do they really cost the store *that* much. I mean, if I bought $100 worth of food, is it really cutting into their bottom line to provide a few plastic bags worth like 20 cents?

6. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I wish we had an Aldi close to us. When we went to visit some friends, we visited an Aldi and everything about it was so much better than what is available in our local area. I don't like big city traffic, but I sure do love the array of grocery stores. Our town is growing, so I still have hope for some better grocery stores!

7. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I love Aldi for everything. I keep a quarter in my car called "the Aldi quarter." It can't be used for anything but carts at Aldi. I love the prices, but my favorite part is I can do all my shopping in 40 minutes or less. We are trying to eat better, and I think their produce selection is great. They also have a good amount of low fat options.

8. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I remember going with my parents when I was growing up on occasion. I haven't been in a long time though. I've kind of forgotten what it's like there. I've seen people saying they really like it there. I may stop in just out of curiosity.