My new Google Chromebook Computer

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Timetrvlr • Oct 18, 2014.

1. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    I ordered it last week online from Walmart and it arrived prepaid at my home this Wednesday. I wanted a Chromebook because my old desktop is dying and I’m tired of Microsoft operating systems overly complicated ways of doing everything and I don’t require business productivity programs. I just want a simple computer that I can surf the web with, Google my questions, write a few short stories, edit and organize my pictures, and occasionally print something. In short, I want a simple computer that I can do things with. I now have that in my HP Chromebook for $318. I don’t like track pads much so I bought a small cordless mouse to go with it and now I sit in my big recliner, my 2.2 pound Chromebook on one arm of the chair and my mouse on the other arm using a paper towel for a mouse pad as I type this. I love it! :D

So, why buy a Chromebook online? Not a lot of shopping choices in small towns, I won’t go to Staples because of their poor return policy and WalMart stores “don’t carry any Google products” which doesn’t make sense because they carry them online. So, off to the big city of Prince George. Future Shop carries them but the very nice salesman assured me I wouldn’t like it because nothing can be downloaded from the internet. I think he was well intentioned but dead wrong. I tried Costco because I trust them for fair-dealing but they don’t carry Chromebooks. So, it was back home and order it

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I own a Chromebook, too. The Asus C200, and the only issue I have is a little bit of slowness on the part of the processor, but the Intel Bay Trailer processor does get me 12 hours of battery life, so it's a trade-off I'm willing to deal with. They're great little machines, despite their limitations, and Google continues to improve them. I would have recommended going with the recently released Toshiba Chromebook 2, though. 4GB of RAM, 1080p IPS screen, and a Nvidia processor. It's actually pretty fairly price and would give you a little more power and battery life than the HP Chromebook. You can't go wrong either way, though. Congrats on joining the club!

3. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I'm glad you guys like your Chromebooks. But I looked into buying one and just wasn't persuaded that it would be a better investment than a tablet. I guess they are kind of similar things, but I just think the IPAD is a superior product. If I were to get a laptop, I'd get the real deal. A laptop with full capabilities. Can you guys give me your opinion and tell me what the main upside is to a Chromebook other than affordability?

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Congratulations on your new computer, glad you found something that is right for you. I ended up deciding against the Chromebook because I don't trust the cloud as a safe and reliable place to store my data, but if it is working well for you, that's great. You definitely can't beat the price on those computers, very good deals in that regard.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hey that's great. Now you can enjoy online life without any hitch. Although the Google Chromebook does look cool and I'm interested in buying, I do hope the manufacturers will start introducing a hybrid type of Chromebook in the near future, one that can transform from laptop to tablet. It'd be nice to have the best of both worlds in one gadget.

6. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    My local Walmart has Chromebooks in the store. I actually looked at them last week. How big is your screen? They look like they are really nice and I picked one up and it wasn't too heavy. I was thinking of buying one for my mother for Christmas. She doesn't do much on the computer, and she currently has an old laptop of mine. I was thinking that a Chromebook might be a good idea for her. She just needs a simple computer that can do the basics, and I like that the Chromebooks aren't super expensive.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I've always liked the Chromebook as long as the buyer truly understood what they were and weren't getting. You seem to be aware, so I think you're really going to love it. If nothing else, it's super light and you can tote it around without issue. There is so much wi-fi that is free now, as long as you don't open up the wrong programs in public, you'll be safe, secure and pleased.

8. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure If I have a Chromebook, but I do have a HP Laptop, lol, is there anyway that I can find out if I have a Chromebook? Well, on a thought, I don't think that I have a Chromebook, because when I got this Laptop, I had to install Google Chrome :-/ Anyway, I love my HP :) It is all I need right now; the speed is good, the sound is clear, the display is lovely, it's all that I need <3

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm glad your chromebook meets your needs, I really love mine as well. I'm able to do the vast majority of what I need to on it and you really can't beat the price. I think a lot of the people who end up being disappointed with it didn't really do their research enough to know what they were getting- it has it's limitations but I think they're pretty fair with their advertising in mentioning bluntly what it is and isn't.

10. troutski

Threads:
    So I have a Windows PC that I use for watching videos and episodes that's connected to a 32-inch television. I use it to download media and store files that I haven't moved into the cloud. I use it for a few games and programs that aren't available on Chromebook.

I'm self-employed, though, and I handle everything related to my business online. I don't need extra programs to get the work done that I can't access from a web browser. I need the trackpad and keyboard for productivity tasks for my business, so I can't settle for a Bluetooth keyboard and touch with an iPad or other tablet. My Chromebook gets 12 hours of battery life, so it's even got that advantage over 99% of tablets. It weighs 2.5 pounds and is ultra-portable.

For my specific circumstances, it's the perfect machine because it cost $200 and I've actually seen higher productivity than when I was using my full Windows laptop.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently bought a Chromebook. I purchased a Lenovo Chromebook off eBay. I absolutely love it. I guess I don't get the comparison between a tablet and a laptop. I see a tablet as an entertainment device. I don't see how much work can be done on it. The only exception is the MS Surface 3. I do love my Chromebook. My Chromebook has a 16GB hard drive. I can do anything that I need to do on it.

12. troutski

Threads:
    To be fair, there are productivity laptops that are pretty comparable (and sometimes superior) to Chromebooks in performance. This includes most of the iPads, the Microsoft Surface Pro Tablets (which are faux laptops themselves), and a handful of others. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 versions are close behind, and the upcoming Nexus 9 is aiming for the productivity side of things albeit with a lesser chipset. Stick a good Bluetooth keyboard on an iPad and you've got something that could be more useful than a Chromebook for plenty of people.

13. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    The screen is 11.9", almost 12". I was a little concerned that it might be too small for me because I'm old and I need things to be a bit larger to read easily. But the screen size is good for me, I'm closer to the screen than with the desktop, I've increased the font size a bit, and I can choose full-screen mode. It is light, 2.2 pounds and still has amazing battery life, perfect for using in the recliner.

Sounds like a great Christmas present for your mom!;)

14. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:

That sounds like perfect size for my mother. I have a 13 inch Macbook Pro and she really likes the size of it, so it would be around the same size. That's really good. The old laptop that I gave her is good but I want to get her a new one that will last much longer. She started to use the one that I gave her and she uses it more than she thought she would. I'll have to look into more review and seriously think about buying one for Christmas.

Thanks for the additional info. I appreciate your response.