My Story & How It Can Help You

Discussion in Personal Finance started by couponhacker • Nov 19, 2015.

1. couponhacker

couponhackerNew Member

Threads:
    I been through rich-no-money trouble life and Down to dept-controlled-life
    Although I am living that is chocking me day at night but I know how it is where there is no income or the current job doesn't do enough.

It's time to save money, keep food on the table, and make money.
    This is what happened when I company closed down and I was in dept

First Off, Reduce Cost
    Find a Super Cheap Place to Live
    It's not easy to move from 5 roomed house to rooms.
    But it was necessary. It's harder than it sounds. Yes it's cheap but The House as on the top floor and it was 50 years old, the cost was cheapest it can be but I really really REALLY didn't wanted to live there. But it was necessary in order to start again from ground up.

If you are lucky to have someone who can help, like family; most grandmas will be more willing to help then parents you can move in with them it would save the rent fees. If you can't find one of these rooms too easily in the usual locations (likeCraigslist), try looking on temporary housing rental sites like Airbnb. Some owners will be willing to rent out their room at a lower rate if you'll stay long-term. All you have to do is ask.

My second home is renting a room that a grandma lives. She lived alone and if you help around the house she is willing to rent out the room in really cheap price. Other times you can net yourself a free room by doing a little work as well. This is a great way to save some money if you have a primary job, or just get by until you can find one if you don't. If helping the elderly isn't your first choice, there are also physically and mentally handicapped people who need assistance as well. Some people will offer a room if you clean their house once a week. Searching local classifieds (e.g. Craigslist) for these types of living situations should find you a few opportunities, especially in bigger cities. It may take some patience to locate the opportunity you want, but just stay persistent and you should find something. You can also place an ad yourself to request this type of arrangement. Just try to steer clear of living situations that expect a sexual component, as these ads aren't always obvious and can be misleading.

Before You Move, Sell Your Crap
    The hardest thing I had to do is selling off my furniture and expensive plates...
    Since I couldn't fit everything into a room, I took a box put in my computer, internet network machines, pen, notebook, 1/10 of my clothes and cosmetic. Rest I sold. It was so hard to give up the big rich leather chairs, my expensive brand clothes.... It just didn't fit inside the small room that I rented and I know.. it was time for me to move alone from my past. But this gave me enough money to rent, find a job, survive the calls from my bank for few months.

However if you are not a dramatic as I was, you need a good guideline on what needs to go and not, it's a whole new post so I'll upload it up later. But the key concept of this is that you need to have the mindset of getting rid of conveniences you don't need. Including, camera when your phone does a good enough job and clothings, microwaves, dish washers, and garbage disposals, and anything else you can potentially live without. You may feel you don't want to live without it, but that doesn't mean you can't. If it'll bring in some money and isn't that important, sell it. What seems important to you right this moment will not be that important in a few months. Time and circumstance are powerful tools when it comes to adjusting your behavior, so what sucks now won't matter soon enough.

Earn Dollars Online
    Whether you are student (You can apply for scholarships), Artist (sell your works on eBay), Writer (freelance a few job), etc. If you are like me, there are some good US government provides financial assistance type in ww.grants.gov. see around the site and look if you find something you can apply for.

Simple Meals
    I am happy when I eat good foods now but before I had to eat with canned food and frozen food.
    I had very high taste of food and it got really gross as days go by. But what could I do? I couldn't starve. What you can do, however, is buy frozen and canned ingredients for cooking your own meals. They cost less and preserve longer, so you can easily buy in bulk. Amazon offers good discounts on bulk orders and you can also find good deals at discount clubs like Cost Co. Or if you can join forms like this one and get coupons for cheaper price or free stuff!!!!

Don't think frozen food and canned goods are less healthy and less fresh. My husband didn't see any difference, he has average people taste so it should be fine. If you have sensitive taste buds like me, it might be bit harsh.

For veggies choose darker colors for more healthier meals.
    Mushrooms Beans are cheap, easy to make and tastes good.
    Lean Meat chicken tends to be cheap
    Or Tofu if meat is too pricy for you. I remember now how I ate tofu soup for a whole month.

It's healthy but might be dull for sensitive taste buds like me. So I like to mix in
    Olive oil, garlic, and pepper salt to make it a good tasting soup.
    Cheapest food you could eat!

For Your Fun Life
    I like movies, the only way I could see one is visiting a friend. Just be sure not to overstay your welcome.
    There are also to find movie screenings in your area. Although it's not those hot new billboard movies it a nice date to keep things positive before getting all depressed and start a fight.

Hope this personal experience helped you save bit more money than just hunting out for coupons.

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of helpful advice there, I was quite experienced with the simply meals part :p Having been a prepper for quite a while, I often managed to buy a lot in bulk, and then cycle through it, so my food bill was quite low.

I inherited a place so didn't have to worry about housing costs, but it was important to keep a close eye on utilities as they were quite financially problematic at times.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When times like this happen I have kept my food as cheap as possible to make sure I have the money needed for other things until my money is back on the right track.

4. couponhacker

couponhackerNew Member

Threads:
    Glad That you found it useful.
    Bulk tend to work but when you have a small room it's kinda hard to live like a storage room.
    But if you can bulk buying is great!

Lucky you! Utilities does take financial cost

5. couponhacker

couponhackerNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah.. for a big eater like me food is what makes most away from my pay check
    So it was the first option to save money.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well it sounds like you have been through the mill. I hope things get better for you. You do have some useful tips though. I guess we all do what we have to do. I want to sell my house as being here is not helping anything, and I truly feel I would be happier somewhere else, but I do not want to give it away, it is a nest egg for the future. I am going to try in the Spring, eventually I hope I can get something close to what I paid for it.

7. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    Reducing your overhead (housing expense) is definitely the big money saver. Unfortunately, housing is also the most comforting thing to have. When you say 'at least I have a roof over my head" it means a lot. I am glad your Gram was able to rent you a room. Some of the housing opportunities that you described are not safe and not comforting at all. Keep plugging away at your job search and savings and soon you will be able to get a new comfy couch.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the story, it is one good advice to those in dire straits with their finances. When my budget is getting short, the first recourse is to cut down on spending. However, we never scrimp on food. No matter if we cannot pay the house rental but the food budget remains the same. That is our policy with food, always make it the priority.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:It's tough when things get sized down whether it's the job then got to size down on spending. I found out that food stamps helps a lot and the requirements every 6 months once to review second is to reapply with any income changes to report within 10 days is very helpful too. Benefits.gov has other kinds of help like State given Rental Subsidies that you can apply for and here in Hawaii we have to have 2 apt. checks you to pass or no rental subsidy yearly with a smoke alarm in apt. and reapply every year. These are better than starving or homelessness. I hope things improve for you and your family and thanks for the tips that we had to do and still do now-when things get tough get foodstamps called EBT now.