Name the cheapest fruits/vegetables that you usually buy?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by akiii123 • Aug 27, 2014.

1. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    The cheapest food I usually enjoy buying is carrots and bananas. These two are quite cheap in our area and quite popular also. I love both of them and keep trying out different dishes which are possible from it. I love carrot juice the most as it helps in digestion and is also very tasty.
    I love the fact that in the shop near my house I get quite a lot of discounts every Wednesday on vegetables, which includes carrots and bananas also. I usually bring enough of both of these two to last for an entire week. I completely love the discounts they provide.

2. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Most green leafy vegetables are cheap in the Phlippines. Even the moringa a.k.a. malunggay which is known as the miracle vegetable is very cheap and you can even get these for free if your neighbor has a tree. The prices of other rootcrops vary depending on the season. I buy more potatoes, carrots, or chayote when they are sold cheaply.

Same goes with fruits. Bananas are often the cheapest ones because they grow all year round in our country. Pineapples are often cheap, too but are not available for the rest of the year. When berries are in season, that's the only time I buy them. On other months the prices are astronomic.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love vegetables. There are times that some vegetables are costly and there are times when they are cheap. Anyways, these are my favorite veggies which I think are pretty cheap:
    -Potatoes
    -Spinach
    -Eggplant
    -Bitter Gourd

Here are the fruits that I love to eat which are also pretty cheap. At least here in my place:
    -Mangoes
    -Guavas
    -Wild mangosteen
    -Bananas

4. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I usually buy a lot of potatoes and carrots. When we buy fresh fruits we usually get apples or grapes or sliced watermelon or pineapple. It seems like my favorites are a little more costly. Such as I would prefer red or golden potatoes but usually end up getting russet because they are cheaper.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Let's see: potatoes, onions, garlic, beans and cabbage are cheap vegetables that I can buy in my area. For fruit we have: apples, grapes and peaches. The rest of the fruit/vegetables are imported (even if some grow here) so they cost more. There's also some variation in price depending on the season. What's cheap now can become expensive in the winter and vice versa.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Vegetables are pretty cheap in my area. Carrots, onions and potatoes. Bananas are a pretty cheap fruit. I only buy organic apples so they aren't as cheap as they could be.

I have never heard of moringa so I did a search engine search because you said that it's know as the miracle vegetable. Very interesting. It can be used to treat a lot of diseases and conditions. I also found that it's available in pills and powder forms. I found an article that show how to grow a moringa tree.

7. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    The cheapest ones are the ones that grow locally like bananas and plantains, mangoes, oranges, limes and lemons,coconut, acerola, avocado, papaya, tamarind ñame (yam), yuca (cassava I think)... These are cheap when you find them on local markets and even cheaper if you buy them off street carts or directly from the growers home. Some like mangoes and avocados are so common you can usually find them free.

Any other fruit or vegetable that's not tropical is going to cost a lot since they have to come from outside. Even the ones that grow locally cost more when bought at the supermarket since here we don't cultivate enough to feed the entire population, supermarkets tend to get the produce from outside too because they need larger volumes than small markets.