Naming a pet

Discussion in Pets started by whnuien • Jun 2, 2014.

1. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever we have a new pet, my family members will look at the colour and its attitude before giving a name to the pet. As for me, I really can't be bothered and I just make up names for them. As long as the name suits the animal :D

We had a monkey in the past and everyone was having a hard time deciding the name for him, so when I heard about that I just quickly told them to call it Bob. I don't know why but I thought it suited him :D

How about you? What is the criteria do you look into before naming your pet?

2. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    You had a pet monkey? How cool was that! Well we just make up random names and if it sounds good then that's it. But for the most part when we choose a name we base it more on the physical features of the animal. We once had a German Shepherd with an usually short tail so we called him 'Shorty' I know it's not creative but it suits him.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My criteria for naming a pet is quite simple. It just has to sound good and it should also suit how my pet looks. Sometimes it can also be based on the special "qualities" of my pets, but basically no cheesy names or long names for my pet.

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    We never planned to have a monkey ever in our house but one day we found a baby monkey who lost its mother not far from our farm (we heard that its mother was shot by some hunters from other village), so we saved it and brought him back to our house.

He ate whatever we eat, from rice, fruits, milk, to coffee :D We gave him a chance to ran away many times but he never did, he made friend with our dogs, cats, and the chickens. Then one day he became old, sick, and died :(

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I also look at the pet's personality first and try to look at which name would suit it best. If the pet is playful or assertive, then I may choose a more aggressive sounding name, whereas if the pet were more relaxed, then I'd pick something that sounds a bit more cool. I also kind of have a fascination with naming my pets with people's names, for some reason, but I try and avoid it anyway and instead name my pets something more unique because it's probably the only time I would ever be able to use such names anyway.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You may find this odd but most of pets I've had don't have names. I call all my pets "billy" regardless of their sex. Why the same name? I never have more than one pet at a time and since I mostly keep my pets for a year [when they're still young] and get myself a new one once I give away the one that's heading into adulthood.

Giving the pet the same name for me works best because it's like there's no transition between getting a new pet after giving away the old one.

7. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    That's pretty interesting! We do keep using certain names for a different pet too.

But there was one time we had a dog called Pingu. She was pregnant when I went away for a travel and when I got back I found out that she was gone because of an accident. But before I found out I thought her daughter was her because the daughter looked 100% like the mother and I had been calling it Pingu :D No wonder why she never reacted to me.

8. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Having a pet monkey sounds like an amazing experience, I bet they get into all kinds of shenanigans!
    As for naming our pets, we usually just pick a name that we think suits him.
    For example we had a dog when I was a kid that was white but had a big brown spot on his back, his name was... you guessed... Spot!
    It also needs to be something that I can see myself calling out in the street so it can't be anything too crazy :)

9. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Isn't there an adage that says to name your pet after a place? I thought there was something like this for good luck and health. Myself? Just pure wackiness named my animals. Also, because I like having to call to them and their names are ridiculous.

10. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm with one of the other people, you had a pet monkey? Where'd you get him? But anyway...The last 2 pets we had, one we had gotten from the animal shelter and she was named already and we decided to just keep her name. Our other dog had a bit of an unconventional name but for some reason it just suited him lol.

11. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    I name all of my pets after a video game character I associate them with. For example, I rescued a cat whom I thought was originally a girl. It turns out that she was actually a he, so I ended up changing his name from Bast (the cat goddess of Egypt) to Sheik (a character from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time). I think it suits... XD

12. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Wow.... I never thought of having a monkey as a pet, I see they make great pets. My husband would probably have a fit if i asked him for a money pet ...kml but on another note when I name my pets I look at how they act and of course the size and go from there. I have a dog once he died of old age and I named him chopper and the reason for that is would chop and chew up every plant I put outside before the end of the day. I found this out in the means of 3 days of having him.