National Sewing Circle Free Videos and Projects ideas

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by H.C. Heartland • Aug 25, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Every couple years I attempt to try something new hobby wise. My new idea is to learn to sew. I found this link that has free videos and projects ideas, its free to sign up:

It is from the National Sewing Circle. I have a machine, even though its a bit archaic. So I'm ready to begin experimenting. But before I do, I wanted to ask some of you
    what sites you might use for beginners, or what piece of clothing would be easy to start out on?

2. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I will have to check this site out to see if they have any projects that I am interested in. I am always looking for free tutorials and patterns. The first piece of clothing that I made was a pair of pajama pants. They were fairly easy. Simple skirts and tank tops are also good ones to start with.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the idea! I have heard that skirts were easy but I remember when I was in school attempting one and it didn't turn out all that great. I think I had a problem with the zipper, the pockets and even the button hole ended up being on the wrong side! But the tank top idea sounds easier to me. I have also seen some tutorials recently for some easy 'African style' tops that are just sewn up the sides and so I was thinking if I can figure out the neckline, those might also be a good starter.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I can hardly remember being a beginner at sewing since I've been doing it since kindergarden. I guess I would suggest starting with a very simple skirt. Straight lines, elastic waste band. If you aren't very familiar with using a machine that would be a good way to just get used to it and still come out with something useful you can wear.

5. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    H. C. Heartland,

You're welcome. Try a simple skirt with a drawstring or some elastic. The tops that you mentioned would be easy to make as well. It is all about trial and error. That is the only way you really learn and get better. Do some trials with the neckline on some cheap fabric so that you can figure out what you will like best.

6. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    Hello,

I also just picked up this as a hobby recently. I always wanted to design my own clothing but I never could afford classes and just did not have the time to learn. Recently I bought a new sewing machine, and fabric, etc. I have been looking at some videos on youtube to learn techniques. I wish I could take a class on it but thanks for the website, I know it will help me alot.

7. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    H.C. Heartland,

Try

as well. They offer both paid and free tutorials and you can get patterns as well. I use this website quite frequently. I always go for the free stuff!

CrystalMarie,

The YouTube videos should help. There are also websites that will give you tutorials on sewing. Also, did your machine come with a manual? The manual is usually helpful with starting out. Just be patient and you will get the hang of things. Best wishes! I really love sewing and I hope you learn to love it as well.