Natural Ant Repellents?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by SpringBreeze • Oct 17, 2012.

1. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    Hey! Ants are starting to invade my place. I've held off on spraying chemicals. But I'm getting desperate. I don't like ants. I have tiny ones and really big ones now. I've tried baby powder, but that made a mess and only worked for a bit. Do you know of any other natural ant repellents?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard of using cornmeal or instant grits to kill ants but have never tried it out myself. Apparently the ants will pick up the food and carry it back to their nest and queen. The grits are then eaten but cannot be digested. They then swell up and kill the ants and the queen resulting in the remaining ants abandoning the nest. I have also heard of bay leaves and black pepper being used to repel ants. Here's a link to some other ideas for you. The comments section has some other really good ideas as well. Good luck!

3. teamrose

teamroseMember

Threads:
    Cinnamon sticks are great for getting rid of ants. I don't know why they hate that delightful fragrance, but they do. Some say you can also use garlic cloves, but who wants a stinky house? Also, clean with vinegar and that is very potent keeping away the bad guys.

4. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Lavender is supposed to be good as is Neem and peppermint. None of that worked for me. The things is, if you don't get rid of them, the conlony will grow and they will just keep coming back in the house. I don't like chemicals either, but it got to the point where I just couldn't take it anymore. I got this stuff by Terro at Home Depot and it really worked. I just put a droplet in a plastic cap from an empty water jug and the ants carry it back with them. Every now and then, the colony rebounds and the ants come back. As long as they don't find anything they go away, but if I happen to have just finished drinking juice and set down a glass and they find it... I use the ant killer to control the population, and only when they come inside.

5. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    The ants! don't I hate them.. I try everything possible to get them out of my territory... They attack my plants, my laptop... I wish I could find something that will keep them away forever... I use turmeric under my plants.. it is good, but stains very badly.. and I could get into trouble with my apartment people. Please let me know if there are other effective ways to get the darned pests off...

6. dgb1975

dgb1975New Member

Threads:
    Borax and jelly or syrup mixed together will kill them. It affects there digestive systems and kills them, with any luck they will drag some of back to the colony and kill them all.

7. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Here are some others that I found online too, BOILING WATER kills ants immediately, and can be poured into an ant hill to stop ant infestation, just trace the ants back to their ant hills. SALT is a natural deterrant for ants and other bugs too. You can pour borders of salt to stop the ants from going into the house, put salt along the bottom of the doors, the window sills , or other places where they may be be getting in to the house from. VINEGAR is another home remedy for ants, Mix two cups of vinegar with a cup of water, put the mixture into a spray bottle,and spray all the corners, along the windows doors ,everywhere that they can come in at. I found all of these and there is more at this link I am putting here so you can go check it out!

its Home Remedies for Ants.:)