Natural low calorie sweeteners for coffee

Discussion in Food & Drink started by jleadbet • Dec 2, 2012.

1. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    Can anyone recommend a natural sweetener that tastes good in coffee? I tried Truvia, and I thought it made the coffee more bitter. I didn't care for it. I've noticed a lot if new natural low calorie options on the market, but I wasn't sure if they were any good.

2. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I use agave nectar in my coffee and tea. It's not low calorie at all, but it's sweeter than sugar, and so you don't need to use as much.

3. vest007

vest007Member

Threads:
    Isomalt (sugar alcohol) is a good natural sweetener. It is extracted from beetroots. There are a few cons though. It can be quite hard to get, and causes upset stomach if taken in large quantities.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't care for Stevie Root either, it actually tasted way to sweet using the same amount of it as you would sugar. And it wasn't just a sweet taste, it did have a rather odd taste to it as well. I was reading about it and it actually doesn't sound as safe as the labeling leads you to believe. The chemical extracted from the stevia root has to be in a very high concentration to get it to the sweetness levels of sugar or aspartame, and I don't think they've done much testing on ingesting such high concentrations of the chemical.

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I have always used splenda and always thought it was a great sweetener for coffee and tea. Unfortunately I heard that advertisers who say and commercialize these types of products are always selling something worse than sugar. Therefore I have started to have one spoon of sugar in my tea or coffee from that moment on to be on the safe side.

6. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I use honey when I need a sweetener. It's not low calorie, but at least there are some health benefits with honey. Another option is to carry on using sugar, but gradually reduce the amount you use until you can take your tea and coffee without sugar. That's how I gave up sugar many years ago. I only ever need sweeteners with cereals these days, and as I said, I use a little honey. A little goes a long way, and it's not just empty calories.

7. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I just use raw sugar in my coffee. I don't consume a lot of stuff with sugar or fat so I don't worry about calories. I also don't drink coffee every day, but I wonder if you couldn't use honey. It's sweeter so you would use less, and it's actually good for you.

8. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I tried using artificial sweeteners but my dietitian told me that my system is not fooled by it. Now, I have given up completely on sugar of any kind. I just drink my coffee/tea without sugar or a sweetener. It was hard getting used to this, but now after four months I am okay with it.. sometimes I avoid drinking coffee/tea.

9. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I'm trying to find a coffee that I can drink black. I have been slowly cutting back on the amount of sweetner I add, but I still notice a difference. I either need to find a weaker coffee or a brand with nice flavor to it. I really enjoy my morning coffee, so it has become a mission to find something good without loading it with sugar.

10. MellowGuy

MellowGuyMember

Threads:
    Honey and Sugar would be the most natural sweeteners I use. For low calorie purposes, I'll use artificial sweeteners, I just don't care. I don't feel I take doses high enough for the no calorie stuff to harm me much.