navel piercings and piercings in general.

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by sandees • Jul 31, 2012.

1. sandees

sandeesMember

Threads:
    I've had my navel piercing for years. A few months ago, I noticed the clasp on my barbell ring fell off. Just last night the clasp was missing on another ring.

I'm in my mid-30s and was wondering if I should just remove it.

Am I too old to be wearing a belly-ring? My stomach is not as flat and tight as it was, 10-15 years ago.

Does anyone else have navel piercings or other piercings? If so, is there an "age" one should remove them or should you just wear them forever? Do they look silly and stupid after a certain age? Or am I making too much out of this "age" thing?

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I think that's a very personal decision. Personality is key when you have an accessory like that in the body. The important thing is to dare to use it, beyond shyness or what others think. I don´t think there is a special age for that, unless there are contraindications health or something. What is important is that you feel comfortable. Perhaps, if you're asking this question is because you are not as safe to use.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    It's not an age thing, it's a mentality thing. If you ever look at it and think "why am I still wearing this?" then you've probably outgrown it. If you still think it looks appropriate, then keep it. For example, if you're, say, a punk rock singer, then no need to get rid of it, haha! Or if you think it still looks cool, but it's easy for you to hide when you need it to be hidden, then keep it. The fact that you're questioning it, though, makes me think you're ready to get rid of it.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    That's definitely up to you. If you still like it, then keep it! Who cares how old you are? It does sound like you're starting to get tired of it, but don't link that to an age thing.

5. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    I would say you should probably start removing your piercings once you get into your forties. Your body is aging and it needs all the energy it can get. Piercings constitute an extra risk and it's more likely to give you health problems you never saw coming (That's what happened to my mother). So I think you're ok for now, but don't wait too long.

6. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    That's really up to you, my dear, as to how long you want that piercing in your navel or any where else as far as I'm concerned. I have never been a piercer on any parts of my body except my ears and that was a big thing for me. So what ever suits your fancy is what you do, it's your body. If you thinks it looks good, go for it.

7. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I think its your decision whether to continue to wear your navel piercing. I do not have a navel piercing, but my ears have been pierced 6 times each. I wear my piercings according to the function I am attending. If its a business meeting I do not wear any piercings, if its a gathering with family and friends I wear them all. So, I think its a personal preference whether to continue wearing your piercing.

8. melissa93

melissa93New Member

Threads:
    That is all up to you. The outside is only one thing. If you still feel young and you want to wear it then go for it. Don't let age get in the way. I have mine pierced and I am keeping it in until I get pregnant (in which case I will get it re-done afterward), my doctor makes me take it out, or I just get to bored with it.

9. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I agree with Jessi that it's not really connected with age. The piercing is becoming a nuisance, and that's why you're thinking of getting rid of it. I just have a sinle piercing in each ear - I love wearing big gold hoops, and I think they add a touch of glamour and character to any outfit, any time of day. I've never been tempted to go for piercings anywhere else, though - I'm something of a coward, and it took me all my time to pluck up the courage to get my ears pierced.

10. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It is a personal choice and with it being a naval piercing, it is usually covered up anyways. I have one myself, along with five in my ears and my nose is also pierced. I intend on keeping them for quite sometime. I usually wear small pieces because I am getting older and don't want to look like I am trying to be younger than I really am.

11. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    If it makes you happy, you are not too old. And as long as you're dressing your age, body jewellery and heck other jewellery is an accessory. I'm a professor at a university and I still have my eyebrow pierced and wear mini-skirts. I'm happy. I look good. And I'm work appropriate.

12. sarahlou773

sarahlou773Member

Threads:
    It totally depends on how you feel, no one should influence your decisions as it is your body. Age is just a number, you are as young as you feel! :)

13. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    It's really in your discretion if you want to keep it. If you're confident wearing them and not feel uneasy at all then I'd say, go for it! But if you think you're no longer happy keeping it then maybe it's time to let go. But still, it's your decision. :)

14. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's an age thing at all. It's all up to you if you want to keep it or not. But if it's becoming more of a nuisance then you can get it off. I just have ear piercings, one on each. From where I am at, they're given to girls at a young age. I think I got mine before I turned one. I never considered getting any more though, the ones that I have are okay with me.

15. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    I agree. I wanted a naval piercing when I was in my teens, but never got one. Now that I am a mother of 3, I am glad I never followed through with the desire. I would feel silly wearing one now. I do, however, have the middle on my ear pierced and love it. I don't feel like I will ever be too old for it, so I imagine I will leave it in for a very long time.

16. retnam

retnamMember

Threads:
    I think about that a lot...I'm still in my 20s but I have a ton of piercings. I'll probably keep them all and just take the jewelry out if the occasion calls for it. If you need replacement jewelry, Amazon is the best place to buy. Everything is usually a tenth of the price at brick and mortar stores.

17. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Yep! you should should keep it , like all the other have said it's a personal preference. I have a nose ring and navel ring. I seem some people that have them and they are young and look ridiculous with them. Don't think it''s age thing though.

18. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, navel piercings look better on teenagers that adults but it's up to you if you remove it or not. I have only my ears pierced because I like wearing earrings.