Need Real Diet Tips

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by jneanz • Jul 8, 2015.

?

Which weight loss methods work best for you?

Poll closed Jul 7, 2016.
  1. Cutting calories and/or fats

33.3%
  2. Vigorous exercise

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both

66.7%
  4. I'll share after I finish this bacon sandwich and beer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Since the effects of chemo have worn off, the weight has been coming back. At first, I couldn't wait because my skin sagged something awful. Anyway, I'm ready to put in the work as eating salads and walking 1-2x a week isn't working. For the remainder of summer I'm cutting way back on the following -
    Cow dairy
    Carbs
    White sugar
    White flour

I make decent vegetarian dishes although I'm only cutting out red meat and bacon during this period.
    I've also joined a gym since I no longer travel 20 miles to school.
    Any suggestions?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The best and most sustainable way to get rid of weight and keep it off, is to eat real food. Whole foods.. not foods that take from your health, but contributes to it. Eating healthy isn't eating salads, unless the salad is massive, with a variety of every plant food in it lol. Once you go to real foods, you're already getting a drastic cut in calories, so cutting more is only dangerous. You need to make sure you're getting enough. When you don't, that's when cravings and binging set in. If you eat enough, you stick to it and get better at it every day. And look and feel awesome, I might add. Eat until you're full, don't count calories, don't weigh yourself, don't fear every bite by eating the same things that got you there (no, not carbs! lol.. though I agree with meat and dairy contributing. You need to eat a variety of everything you need.. never cut real foods unless they don't agree with you. Trust me, carbs aren't the issue if they're from whole foods. If you're not eating whole foods, pretty much everything is the issue lol. Processed is what you need to be cutting, not essential nutrients). You need to fix the relationship you have with yourself and food more than anything.. food isn't something to be feared and you don't know your body better than it does. You can't trick it into losing weight and when you do, it fights back with a vengeance. We all know this... yoyo anyone? Being healthy is the best possible way to do it.. just losing weight doesn't make you healthy. Don't trade weight for more illness.

Good luck :)

3. TalTBest

TalTBestNew Member

Threads:
    I don't believe in diets, just in healthy food.
    Junk food is not totally wrong, but you can't make it a part of your routine. My best suggestion for you is looking for a team sport like basketball, soccer and so on. I wish I could do it, but I don't have time, so I spend my sport time by running, at home or outside. Start running if you don't have time for something else. Take your phone with your favorite music, prepare a track, and that's it, you are ready to loose weight.

GOOD LUCK

edit:
    oh sorry I didn't see it's an old topic

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd recommend stepping up the exercise. You need at least 30 minutes medium intensity cardio (which includes a brisk walk) at least three times a week. Walking 1-2 times per week won't really help.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally always have better success with diets that cut off carbs. The Dukan diet was good for me, but it doesn't allow even vegetables so I didn't find it that healthy.
    The diet I am in right now is great because you eat lean protein, vegetables and fruits. I recommend that, because carbs like bread, pasta and rice are not good.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Carbs are essential.. it's overly processed foods that are the problem.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I hope you will forgive my bluntness here - but as I have seen the horrific end results of what happens to people who try to lose weight either by starving themselves or following fad diets - I'm particularly against trying to lose weight this way and even more so if someone is ill or recovering from illness.

As apart from the serve emotional and physical health problems that can arise - depriving the body of the necessary calories and nutrients it needs in order to survive and function properly - is to me the equivalent of trying to run a car with no fuel.

To be honest - although I am really only repeating what JosieP has already said - and very well too - as being overweight is generally the end result of eating more calories than the body actually needs over a long period of time and is therefore - not something that can be changed in an instant because there are no miracle cures to this problem - rather than looking for a quick fix and unnecessarily starving your body of all the nutrients it needs in order to function correctly - the best and healthiest option would be to avoid it happening in the first place - by eating a healthy well balanced diet containing a wide variety of natural foods - rather than processed ones - combined with a regular exercise routine - as that way - not only are you investing in your health - but as eating a diet full of natural nutrient rich foods helps to keep weight in check naturally - you will never have to worry about trying to lose excess weight ever again :)

8. watsadamen

watsadamenMember

Threads:
    I think the most effective way to lose weight is to lessen the food intake especially the unhealthy, processed and fast food. I did yoga for a year and the year before that, I also tried going to the gym. Both did not really make me lose weight because I still ate the same. Now, I try to lessen my carbohydrates and soda. After, I experienced weight loss and for me, it was more effective than when I went to the gym or practiced yoga.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These same tips keep coming up over and over and over again. Eat less, eat less unhealthy food, cut carbs. First of all, and for the one millionth time, carbs are not your issue.. highly processed carbs are your issue (and highly processed everything else). In the long run, you are doing yourself a disservice with cutting carbs and you will likely be yoyoing your entire life (not to mention unhealthy, as carbs are your body's preferred energy source). Second.. if you eat less while eating healthy foods you're just going to sabotage your efforts and make yourself sick. I see it so often.. people coming off of terrible diets and suffering through tiny salads. That's no way to eat! lol. Less crap foods, MORE healthful foods. Make sure you're getting enough calories. The way you'll know if you're cutting too much is if your hungry.. which most of you will be if you take most of the advice I see on these boards. If you're hungry, you're not eating enough.. very simple. If you ignore that, you will fail and likely end up sick. The only deprivation you should be experiencing is highly processed foods and that's only deprivation because you're addicted. Once that part passes, it actually becomes very enjoyable.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There has been a ton of good advice posted in the above statements. Good wholesome food is not bad for you and if you have had a serious sickness in your body that is what you want to continue to put into your body. Your body does need carbs to convert into energy, you do not want to avoid carbs there are good carbs and bad carbs. Sweet potatoes are good carbs. Drink clean water plenty of it to keep your system hydrated and exercise.

11. elvisish

elvisishNew Member

Threads:
    Definitely good ideas what you have so far about cutting out or down on certain foods. Also drink lots of water as it helps boost the metabolism and flushes toxins from your body, green tea is also great at flushing the system and boosting metabolism. Plenty of aerobic exercises like walking, running, swimming, etc. as well as toning and weight lifting exercises. Keep healthy and fit and you will lose weight gradually but steadily! :)

12. readytogocable

readytogocableNew Member

Threads:
    Hey..
    If you really want to loss weight than you have to follow two points
    1. make a proper diet plan and stick on it
    2. do proper exercise daily