Negotiate at the store

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Bolt • Oct 6, 2012.

1. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The price at the store may appear fixed, you see the price tag and assume that's what you HAVE to pay. The reality is that the price is not always fixed and there will be room for manoeuvre to negotiate the price down. Negotiate with confidence without appearing rude and you might be surprised by the outcome. I recently bargained at the store to bring the price of a T.V down from 650 to 575.

Do you use your bargaining skills at the store?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    How were you able to negotiate the price down at an actual store like that? Was there something wrong with the TV or was it a display model?

Actually, firstly, where do you live that this is possible?

3. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    Jessi, we are able to do it where we live as well, in Wisconsin. I do this all the time when we are looking for high priced items like TVs, washers, dryers, etc. In certain stores employees get commission when they sell big items and they are willing to go down. I know it can be done at Best Buy and American TV for sure.
    Also, there are many places like Walmart, Shopko, Target and Sears that will price match your items, on any item, even if it is small. All you need to do is bring in the ad for another store to prove that you can get a better deal elsewhere. If their store is higher, you will get the lower price because of the price match. This is a wonderful reason why we should should around and look at ads before we shop. I have also done this at Advanced Auto Parts. I saw a can of expensive car wash at O'Reillys for cheaper and I told them that and they gave me the cheaper price.

4. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    At our stores in South Africa, at certain stores like Pick n Pay and Spar (too, I think) the price tags change as you look at them as they are digital and not written on paper. Pretty high tech country we live in here in South Africa. I was so surprised when I first went on a working holiday to the UK in 2001...to see that their banking systems were less advanced than ours here in sunny Cape Town, South Africa, Earth.

5. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    Usually you can only do this with private-run stores, not large chain stores like best buy. A lot of the workers at chain stores don't have any control over that since prices are fixed at all their locations, but privately owned stores can.

6. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with nick. I've managed to bargain on electronic items and househood goods only at smaller, single-owner run stores, and at open market stalls of course (but for smaller items).

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't done it yet, since if it's a large store then the prices are already fixed, and I don't think that the saleslady will allow the price to be lowered. If it's a small store, then I think it's ok too haggle to the owner, like what the other members have said.