Net neutrality

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Livvy • Jul 1, 2014.

1. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    If you haven't heard, the big phone companies such as Time Warner and Verizon are trying to push through legislation which would let them charge extra for a 'fast lane' form of internet. They claim that this will not mean they'll slow everyone down, but come on. We all know this would result in a slow lane, and a fast lane instead of the fast and hyperfast lanes that they claim would happen.

How do you think this will affect your money saving plans?

2. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    I am completely against them doing this. Despite what they, they are probably going to slow EVERYONE down UNLESS they pay extra to keep the same speed they already have. I highly doubt they are going to do this just to make the internet faster for those who want to pay extra. They just want to force you to pay extra for the service you already have.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It wouldn't affect me because I can't get anything but lovely ol Comcast. I wouldn't doubt Time Warner would do that because Comcast now owns them but Verizon? I don't see them making you pay extra for what you already have. I know companies are out to make money though and even if they did, it wouldn't matter to me. I'd still rather have Verizon Fios or even Verizon DSL. Verizon DSL was okay to me when I had them. They were a little slower but other than that they were good in my book.

4. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Verizon is also behind this idea, and they're looking to make you pay extra for a higher speed. They're claiming it will be a fast speed for everyone, and then super fast for people who pay extra but...yeah, like that's going to happen.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well like I said they can't make me pay extra because I can't get them here anyway. I would just like to be able to have a choice but I don't see that ever happening.

6. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    Where I am it doesn't look like I have to worry about this yet. I'm still very interested to see how this plays out. It could really change things.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For something that sounds too good to be true there probably much about it that isn't true. Should they be allowed to charge more for faster internet then they'll do all it takes to force most of their customers to pay more for "faster internet" by slowing down the speeds you get for the regular connection.

p.s By the way what happened with FB's plans to provide free internet for everyone in the globe. That could put a stop to this B.S

8. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Internet providers should invest on facilities to provide faster internet for all and not just to select users or websites.

It's interesting to note that the net neutrality issue had also been used against Facebook's project to provide free internet to many countries as it only offers free access to some accredited websites and not to all websites. Users who will want to use other websites will have to switch to the paid internet version.

#8Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017