Netflix or Hulu?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by messlisa • May 7, 2013.

1. messlisa

messlisaNew Member

Threads:
    I have been a loyal customer of Netflix and they have a wide variety of options available for not only my husband and , but for our daughter as well. Yet, I have heard that Hulu is cheaper and has just as much to offer as Netflix. Can anyone tell me their experiences with the two? If so, can you list the pros and cons to each one? Any information would be helpful.

2. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    I think Netflix is used for movies while Hulu is used for TV shows.
    But overall, I think Netflix is better since they have more choices, better prices, and more convenient features.

3. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I would say that Netflix has wider range of options, specially with famous series, so i would say that if you like what they are offering, go for it. Hulu is like a poorman's Netflix, or at least that is my opinion.

4. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely prefer Netflix. Hulu has some good things to watch, but we cancelled our subscription because we always wind up watching Netflix.

5. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Netflix has a few shows and movies hulu only has tv shows they don't have movies

6. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say Netflix because the experience I had with this service is just amazing and it hasn't failed me once. Therefore when it comes to Hulu I just don't even look its way because the Netflix program just gives me a huge variety of options and show and movies to choose from. I won't be switching to any other program in the near future or ever most likely.

7. saveraddict

saveraddictMember

Threads:
    I think Hulu is a joint venture of the main networks and has only their content. Netflix is n independent company that makes deals with basically everyone. Also as many people said above Hulu is mostly series and Netflix movies, although both offer both types. But I think because Netflix makes deals with any content provider basically means that it will always have better content. Unless of course your favorite show happens to be on Hulu?

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Hulu Plus was a waste of money in my opinion. I could barely tell the difference between the paid and free version of the service. They are pretty misleading, because many of the shows they have listed are not the full episodes, all they have are short clips from them - even when you are a paid subscriber. Or they will list stuff on Hulu, and they don't have the show at all. I can't watch Chelsea Lately on there for example, but they have it listed in the search results.

I can find most of the stuff that is on Hulu Plus on torrent networks and just save the money, plus it's ad free.

9. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    As some of the other posters ahve stated, Netflix is generally seen as the better options for movies whereas Hulu is the better option for most TV series. I think the main thing that deters myself and many others from Hulu is the ridiculous amount of advertising that interrupts your programming. It's no better than watching regular TV if you ask me, but there are some really good show options on there. Netflix offers some great videos and the price is fairly cheap so my vote goes for Netflix!

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Netflix in Canada isn't as good as the one in the States, from what I hear. I've been pretty bored with it in the past, no idea if it's any better now. can't get Hulu here either unless that's changed as well. I just download everything.

11. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I find that Hulu doesn't work as well as Netflix. At least on my devices, Hulu tends to lag significantly. Netflix on the other hand, doesn't ever have an issue.

12. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have both Netflix and hulu. Netflix is good doesn't have that many updates when it comes to their streaming selections so I would say that's a con about Netflix they take forever to update and get new shows and movies and they have a lot of b rated selections. Hulu has recently updated and has gotten a ton of new shows and movies and they are better at updating their selections so that's a pro for hulu. I guess when it comes down to it hulu is the better choice.

13. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using Netflix for a long time until I didn't have the time to watch as many movies as I used to. I have never used Hulu, therefore, I don't know how it works. I don't normally watch movies, clips, or TV shows on the Hulu website because I have found the previous TV episodes only stay on the website for a limited period of time. I prefer Neflix because it gives me flexibility and convenient ways to watch movies anytime I want without having to send back the DVDs on-time.

14. clayk7

clayk7Banned

Threads:
    Netflix by far beats Hulu. I used Netflix everyday and I love it. Totally worth the money you pay for it. Some many shows to choose from as well.

15. Gadzooks

GadzooksMember

Threads:
    I have Netflix and much prefer it. I've tried Hulu and I just could not figure my way around the website. I must've been doing something wrong, but it really shouldn't have been that frustrating. Netflix has everything I want on it and more. My kids have a variety of shows and movies to watch, as do my husband and I.

16. nbadiehard

nbadiehardNew Member

Threads:
    I could not try Hulu because of where I am living currently so I had to choose Netflix, I love Netflix solely over its anime section, I love all the old anime that is included into the website and I love the maneuvering. The money for Netflix is cheap too and beats having to pay for cable when you can be watching that new Television show in a few weeks and you do not have to go to that new movie because it will soon be released on Netflix. Netflix is also great because it can be played on many devices and the kids section is the best because whenever my baby cousins come to my house I just set them up a childrens show and be on my way and not have to worry about them till they want me to change it onto the next episode. I would definitely recommend Netflix because of the variety of shows it has and the kids section also.

17. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    Personally, I am a fan of Netflix and do not care for Hulu. I discovered "Once Upon A Time" on Netflix while the current season was still on TV. After I caught up on Netflix, I signed up for the free week of Hulu to catch up on the current season before watching it on TV.

My biggest pet peeve with Hulu is the commercials! A big draw of streaming services is no commercials but Hulu still makes you deal with them. While I had the free trial, I also checked out Hulu's movie section and was not impressed. Also, there are quite a few shows I enjoy that Hulu does not offer.

I enjoy Netflix because they have so many options. I have been a member of Netflix for so long that I remember when they didn't have a lot of popular shows or movies. That has changed a lot in the past couple years so now I can usually find something that fits my mood.

I will only go back to Hulu if we were to get rid of Hulu. I would want Hulu to still watch the shows that they do stream. I don't really see that happening though because I have yet to find a streaming service that will stream my favorite talk and cooking shows! So for now, we will stick to Netflix and the DVR!

18. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    Since Netflix is a paid-to-use service, I just go with the freebie stuff on Hulu. I usually don't use either of them since I find most of the stuff I want to watch on Youtube. I know a lot of newer stuff isn't on Youtube, but that's fine with me since I am not a "TV" kind of person. I don't care for cable or any of the new shows they have. If there's a new anime I want to watch, I'll sit around and wait until it comes on Youtube. It usually does after a little bit. I'm never in a rush.

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As mentioned earlier the amount of commercials on Hulu Plus was not acceptable. I am paying my money to not see all of that stuff and you still give it to me. I could not enjoy the show for the advertisements. Netflix is better to me for that reason. I have tried Amazon also but they have some shows or movies that you want to see it does cost even on prime.

20. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Netflix is best for movies (from all release dates) and for older television shows. It's even got some recent releases, but Netflix sometimes lags a season behind for current television shows. Its overall library is unbeatable as far as quantity is concerned. Of course, you can order DVDs and Blu-Rays through netflix, too.

Hulu Plus is better for current television, and you can often catch current television episodes the day after they air. This includes foreign language series and anime shows. Hulu features a mediocre film library, which doesn't compare well to Netflix at all.

These services are different enough to where you shouldn't necessarily consider them in the same sphere. You can't get such a large collection of recent movies in Hulu, and you can't get day-old TV episodes from Netflix. They both have their benefits and consequences. If you can afford it, you'll have the best experience by using both services. At the very least, you could pay for Netflix and use the free version of Hulu, which still offers plenty of TV episodes for viewing.

EDIT:

Also, I'd like to point out that Hulu and Hulu Plus has advertisements because of how much it costs to air television episodes the day after they air for cable television. Distribution companies charge hefty licensing fees for Hulu to display such content. Netflix doesn't have ads because their releases often aren't brand new (for television).