Netflix vs Redbox vs Hulu

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by tulosai • Sep 28, 2012.

1. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    Hi everyone. I've been kicking around the idea of signing up for some kind of online movie/tv account like Netflix or Hulu+. I was just wondering what other people's experiences have been and if you think these services are worth the money. With Netfix, is it worth it to get an account where you can have physical DVDs in addition to streaming? Or would you just stick to Redbox for that? Is Hulu+ worth the extra money? Any thoughts on this are helpful to me.

2. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Netflix is much better than Hulu plus. Netflix has more of a variety of movies and old shows. Hulu does have current TV shows though, but have commecials. I like Netflix better they have a bigger selection.

3. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know Hulu+ still has commercials. For me that is a strong negative. Thanks for the feedback!!

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't subscribe to NetFliz, but I have friends and family that do. They love it. They mostly used it to watch old television shows, but Netflix has plenty of movies. I don't think Hulu+ is worth it. They haven't beefed up their collection.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the update, I have been in the process myself of deciding which way to go to keep current with the tv shows since I do not have cable. I like shows like "Burn Notice" and "Leverage" which come on the cable channels in my area.

6. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    RedBox is great, but you have to pay $1 for each movie. Netflix is $8 per month and you get unlimited streaming movies and TV shows. I choose Netflix over RedBox. However, if a good movie comes out, I'll RedBox it almost immediately.

7. husstopher

husstopherMember

Threads:
    I will go with Netflix all the way. For one, the Redbox you have to pay for your movie at one dollar per day and it also doesn't have a big selection. And for Hulu, it has those annoying commercials that come up very often.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't like any of the above, to be honest. I have used them all, though, and was eventually just disappointed by what they offered. Netflix has a lot of shows, but it's all previous seasons....not current ones. Hulu is pretty decent when it comes to offering current episodes at least, but the commercials are annoying. Redbox is just movies, isn't it? I like the option there, but it never fails that when I go to the boxes, the movie I want isn't available anyway.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Of the three, I would recommend Netflix.

Hulu's paid service is not worth it in my opinion. The only real benefit I could see from paying for it, was that I was allowed to play it on my streaming media player and watch the shows on my actual TV. I could have circumvented that restriction pretty easily though by just running an HDMI cord from my laptop to the TV. As others noted, they still make you sit through commercials when you are a paid subscriber. Their selection of shows is often misleading and changes frequently. It may appear that they have a show you like, then you go to watch it only to find out that they only have clips from the show available, not the full show. Also, I've noticed they edit some shows down for various reasons. I tried watching some old episodes of SNL and certain skits were missing from the episodes.

I also had some problems with Hulu repeatedly billing me for months after I cancelled my subscription. I just recently got two refunds from them after a pretty stern complaint email to them recently. I cancelled the service back in June, and for some odd reason they billed me again out of the blue in August. I figured maybe I forgot to complete some step in cancelling, so I let it slide and cancelled again. Then in September they did the same thing, billed me again. So I again cancelled the service, and in October they tried to bill me yet again - that's when I went off on them, and wrote a complaint to both them and PayPal over it.

Netflix doesn't get the latest episodes, but they are pretty good about getting newer movies from my experience. They also have a lot of shows that you probably never heard of or were never part of your current cable package, so there is a lot of new stuff to discover on there as well. I've never really experienced any down time with them either. They are commercial free too. My only gripe with them is they are hit or miss with editing shows and movies - sometimes they censor stuff and other times they don't, with no real rhyme or reason. You can watch Kitchen Nighmares and hear all of Gordon Ramsay's f-bombs, but horror films like Suspiria have some of the more graphic scenes edited out.