Netflix Worth the Investment?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by pafjlh • Mar 11, 2013.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have been wondering about Netflix lately and wanted to know if any of you have this service. Is it worth what you pay for it per month? How does it work, and on what devices does it work off of. How many devices are you allowed to have this service on with your monthly fee? Is there an extra charge or using it on more then one device. If so how much does it cost? I would be curious to know these answers because I am wondering if this a better more cost effective solution to cable.

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    In my country Netflix is a relatively new service and is slowly adding followers. I didn't have any experience with this service, but I know it works and the content it offers. I think it's a service that is justified if you don't have a cable television service or digital television. Netflix has many interesting features, especially for those people who enjoy the television series and movies. At the moment I haven't interest in hiring this service, but it is a possibility that I would evaluate in the future. :D

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    It's $8 a month according to a post I read a while ago. Is that price right?

If so, it's a great deal IF you have a decent internet connection and a computer that supports playing videos in whatever quality you want to watch them. Me, I have a terrible wi-fi internet connection and a netbook that doesn't support videos in 720p/1080p or higher -- so no, I wouldn't spend my money on it.

Nevertheless, I do know some people that no longer have cable and have chosen Netflix instead. I believe you need a smart TV (one that can connect to the internet) for that.

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have been doing more research into it. Right now because of the type of lap top that I have I don't think it would be a good idea. I don't think my lap top could sustain it, but its still something to think about in the future. I have read that it can also be streamed through a gaming console such as play station, not that I have one of those either. As for the television that will connect to a laptop my television does have that capability. So, at least I am ready where my TV is concern if I ever subscribe to this service.

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly feel that if you are someone who loves movies and watches at least 1 or 2 a week then you should definitely get this service.
    First off many people argue that you can stream these films online for free but I personally think that the quality of the movie is the most important and this is why I would always settle for netflix.
    It is also a very easy service and I assure you that you will have no problems with it.
    As for the price, I think it is very reasonable.

6. JPDunlap

JPDunlapNew Member

Threads:
    I think it's worth it. They have quite a bit of movies and seasons from your favorite shows. It usually takes awhile for new content to arrive, but when they do, it's usually top Redbox movies that have been out for awhile. They have Netflix just for kids, which might I add I've put to use to occupy kids I was helping babysit. The Netflix app is free, and you can have it on as many devices as you want with no extra charge. But yeah it's worth it for the price, but if you want to be on top of series such as The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones, forget it lol.

7. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    To me it depends on if you would be otehrwise spending that money. If you rent more than 3 movies a month, it's worth it. Or it's cheaper than buying a whole television series on dvd. And if you use it to replace cable it's way worth it.

But if you don't already spend money on that stuff, then it's really just extra money.

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I read somewhere recently that people have started to drop cable in favor of Hulu and Netflix. The advantage of Netflix is that you watch what you want on demand. That means you can see things when you want to see them, when it's most convenient. As for it being a good value, if you plan on watching even as little as a few movies each week I think it would be worth it. It's definitely much cheaper than cable.

9. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have Netflix and I love it, it has just about every movie or tv show you can think of it doesn't come as fast with new movies but if you can wait a little it isn't really a problem. It is def worth the monthly payment. You just pay it monthly and enjoy your movies it works off xbox playstation and laptop ipad and smart phones there is no limit on the devices or extra cost

10. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I personally think Netflix is worth it and I have the Canadian version, which is apparently not as good as the American. But I can always find something to watch and love that is recommends titles for me based on the movies I have rated highly. But I do have a very eclectic taste and watch anything from horrors to foreign titles. Therefore, if you have a limited scope of the genres you like to watch, you might not always find it worthwhile. But if you can be patient and don't need to see new releases right away, then i would recommend Netflix. I have really enjoyed having it.

11. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Many people have switched from cable to Netflix already. I haven't, but that's because of my internet connection, my netbook's inability to play videos in high definition, and my family's unwillingness to surf the net to find content they want to watch (they enjoy their crappy TV way too much). However, if I were you, I'd go for it. It's not expensive and it lets you watch pretty much everything you want.

12. steam455

steam455New Member

Threads:
    Honestly since using Netflix, I have disconnected my cable all together. My cable was around $100 per month, and I barely watched any of it. Now with Netflix being $8 per month, I believe it more than pays for itself. I literally have been watching the exact same shows and movies that I was watching when I had cable. The only difference now is that I can watch them whenever I want. Its definitely worth the price in my eyes.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been considering getting Netflix. My nephew has it and he just loves it. He gets to catch up or watch new (but really old ) TV shows. I'm not a big movie fan, but there are plenty of TV shows that I would love to watch for the first time or even re-watch some of my old favorites.

14. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    It is good value if you are a fan of films and have a very good internet connection speed. I prefer having the thing in my hands though. :)

15. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    The reason I couldn't switch from cable to netflix is that half of what I watch on television is sports. And so far there's no easy way to do that without cable.

16. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    For most people out of the US, is a service that really depends on your tastes, because it may not have much variety. It's a matter of looking out to see if there is something there you like and if it compensates.

17. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Arrested Development is coming back on Netflix on May 26th. 15 new episodes.

It's worth the investment.

18. MellowGuy

MellowGuyMember

Threads:
    If there was a way to watch all my local tv and sports online, I'd remove cable right now. I am tired of paying almost $200 (tv and internet) to FIOS. I've tried the Netflix free trial and it is tons of value! If I didn't already pay for cable, I'd definitely stick to netflix service.

19. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I'm sure what your saying is true. In fact, if it were just me and my sister in our home we probably would consider going this route and dumping cable in favor of Netflix. Because we could probably get all of our favorite cable programs and more off of Netflix. But we live with two brothers who happen to be huge sports fanatics. So, they want the cable because of their sports programs such as wrestling. But I agree with you that Netflix is much cheaper then cable, but the decision isn't only up to me at this point and time.

20. stormpatsy

stormpatsyNew Member

Threads:
    The freight train, slow to get moving, but unstoppable once at full speed. Considered by many to be the most conservative type of investing, it is considered one of the safest ways to amass wealth over the long-term.