New 3ds

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Aladar • Jan 17, 2015.

1. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What do you think about it? Will anyone here be getting the "New 3DS" (yes, that's the actual name...)? Any of you upgrading from regular 3DS, or are you getting it because the new model got you interested?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a pretty big improvement over the previous 3DS because of the additional bumpers on the back and the joystick addition. I'd say that most hardcore 3DS fans are going to pick this one up sooner or later. It does get better battery life, and those previously mentioned changes will make a difference in gameplay. The processor was supposedly boosted a little too, although a bump in that pitiful resolution would have been nice.

3. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    This is the first I hear about a new 3DS model!

My actual one is working well enough and I don't have any problems regarding gameplay, so I doubt I'll be buying a new one. If I do, surely it'll be secondhand, and that's only if whatever new games will be coming in the future really needs the improvements in order to be enjoyed.

Although the better battery life is certainly attractive...

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The 3D is improved on the new model, too, because it utilizes cameras to track where you're at. That makes the viewing angles better for the 3D because it's being shifted to suit where you're looking at and from. I'd say that and the battery life improvement (albeit small) is a good enough reason. The longer you can go without charging a portable device, the better.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As far as I know, there will only be a couple of games that will need the New 3DS, so I wouldn't worry about having to upgrade, unless you'd really like those one or two titles that will not be compatible with the old models. Right now, only Xenoblade Chronicles is slated for N3DS exclusive release, and it's a port, so..

6. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I wasn't planning on upgrading anytime soon, but Xenoblade Chronicles is hard to pass up. I never had a Wii, so I never got the chance to play the original game, and now the Wii copies are very expensive. It's arguably more expensive to get a new console, but I feel like it'll be worth it in the long run, I'm sure more games will require the new 3DS as time goes on.

7. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    It looks pretty good so far. My big question is what games are they going to come out with for the rest of the year? And will you be forced to use the new 3DS for other games?

Right now I am not impressed with the game lineup for the rest of the year.

Monster Hunter 4 - Not interested
    Zelda Majoras Mask - Not interested
    Codename STEAM - Not interested

Honestly, I would like a new mario game or something.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So you're not interested in the original titles for the console, but you'd like another clone of the same game from 1989? :D

9. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    My old 3DS is still working perfectly well, so I don't see any reason to make the switch. There are already plenty of games on the 3DS platforms, with many more being released.

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I think I'll be getting on with this. It's been a while since I've played on a proper handheld console. But my only gripe about this is the name itself. I've always thought Nintendo sucked when it comes to naming their devices but I never thought they'd go for something as mundane as calling it "New 3DS".

11. lopezmramon

lopezmramonNew Member

Threads:
    The New Nintendo 3DS Has a few things we must consider as improvements, such as: Second analog stick, new bumpers, improved screen, 3D effect that actually works, faster proccessing power and a slightly better battery. This new version won't have too many exclusive titles, but it IS a nice upgrade to our existing mobile devices. My own 3DSXL is 2 years old, so I'll consider upgrading.

For any newbie in the 3DS world, I'd recommend checking out the exclusives. If you don't care for them, you could buy one of the used 3DSXLs that will be appearing everywhere from us upgraders. In case you do care, well, buying one of these systems will give you about 2 years of gaming before Nintendo upgrades to a new Mobile console, if my predictions are correct.

The New Nintendo 3DS 's name has a reason , it's not "random" or "mundane". It's called that because this is NOT a generational leap, it's only a NEW version of something already existing. If they had called it "4DS", everyon would assume it's next gen, but it is not. It's just a slight improvement.

12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're acting like they could possibly only name it 4DS. There's a TON of examples of consoles getting minor upgrades and getting actual, normal names. PSP Go? DSi? Gameboy Micro? PSOne? Even "PS3 Slim" is a better name than "New 3DS". That's an Abbott and Costello routine waiting to happen.

13. lopezmramon

lopezmramonNew Member

Threads:
    I was just giving an example, Aladar. I realize it's a terrible, terrible name. It's almost as bad as Wii U's name. But I guess in Japan it made more sense than here, and as I've heard Nintendo's choice making is very old fashioned in many regards, including naming their consoles. I'm sure this was a marketing choice made because of Japan that they decided to play along in the rest of the territories.

14. DSymonette

DSymonetteNew Member

Threads:
    Yes I will definitely be upgrading at some point! However for me it is a bit different as I am currently playing on a 2DS that I bought. I never ventured into the 3DS category so this will be my first purchase into the 3D realm. I am definitely looking forward to it as the 3DS looks like it will just feel a lot better to hold and play. I am also a huge Zelda fan and I am looking forward greatly to Majora's Mask. I can not wait to get my hands on that and play it through as it has been years since I last played that game.

I feel like the second analog stick will definitely help me improve my Super Smash gaming as well. Another huge thing is the battery life! I feel like my 2DS dies way too quickly so I will look forward to having that extra battery life with me as I travel a lot and often times my 2DS will die before I can reach my destination. All in all I am excited about it for sure!

15. squeeiswin

squeeiswinNew Member

Threads:
    Even though I already have a 3DS XL, I'm definitely thinking about grabbing the new one (though who knows when I would). The most appealing thing to me, other than improved battery and processor of course, is the 3D head-tracking. And it's always nice to have a slightly larger screen, though I agree that a resolution upgrade might've been a little more appealing.

I've quite enjoyed the 3D in past games, but it's pretty annoying that you have to keep your head in just the right location... It's a quality-of-life improvement that I think is a nice touch.

16. lopezmramon

lopezmramonNew Member

Threads:
    I'm on the same boat as you, I'll get it "at some point", but not immediately. I need to figure out who to sell my current 3DSXL. I don't really use 3D that much, but it's so beautiful. Pokemon Battles, SMT backgrounds, Mario 3D land, even Bravely Default... I want the stable 3D effect this new thing gives. I will wait for a great title and then buy it on a hot deal!

17. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    Let me pause and laugh for a moment. I could not take it all in one sitting. New 3DS? Really? I think the creative department needs to take a short break. Anyway, I am still satisfied with my 3DS. There is no need for an upgrade so soon. I have no plans to play any of the games in offering on this New 3DS. Might as well wait for the Newer New 3DS before I make the decision to upgrade.

Even if there is a hot deal, I will pass on it.

18. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, to people who actually have a prior knowledge of the 3DS it wouldn't be that much of a problem but if you take a look at other consoles with minor upgrades they still name it in a very distinct and specific way. "New 3DS" is very broad, it doesn't really point out exactly in what it is "new". I think the name "3DS2" would be a better name for it.

19. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I'll probably pass this one. Although it has some really cool upgrades I'm still fresh into my XL and I feel like I haven't explored and played enough of it to get the new one. Maybe when the "New New 3DS" comes out I would consider it.

20. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hah, I hope that won't happen. I don't think Nintendo can get away with yet another iteration of the same console..