New Allergies

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Mar 16, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I thought that allergies are something we are born with, but recently I discovered that kids from a certain age on (even adults?) can start to have allergies even if they never had them before. Have you experienced this or is it not exactly like this?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not uncommon for adults to develop allergies. There are some reasons your immune system may respond in unexpected ways if you are exposed to "allergens" it's "not used to." Some other allergies could be allergies which never were diagnosed when a kid or an adult was younger. But once they're exposed to the allergen, the allergy flares up.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A person can develop an allergie as time goes by. Different chemicals and situations can cause a reaction. Something as simply as it starts to rain can cause an allergy reaction. I react to the weather more than to dust or cats and dogs. My daughter breaks out when she is around cats.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh no, I was made aware of the fact that allergies can just develop over time if need by, a few years ago by doctors. For someone with a leaky gut, the very nature of the condition serves to create new allergies as time goes by. I am not sure whether the allergies go away once the leaky gut is fixed either.

5. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, its funny how the body can change. Something that use to not bother us we suddenly find we are now allergic to it. I have a family member who use to eat cucumbers all the time then in her twenties started to experience extreme nausea everytime they ate cucumber. I told her that maybe she was now allergice to cucumbers and she said how was the possible because they never bothered her before, but I told her that over time allergies to things can happen including food. She now avoids cucumbers.

6. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yes! Allergies can most definitely develop over time. A lot of people who grew up playing in or around poison ivy as a child with no thought to it whatsoever find that as they age they had suddenly better watch where they step and what they're picking up outside.
    Bee stings, too, can become something you seriously want to avoid as you age, even if they once were a mere annoyance.
    I don't know if it's because the skin is becoming thinner, or what, but it's so.
    I imagine it's the same for allergens that affect other parts of the body as well--I mean food allergies or allergies that affect your ears,nose and throat.
    I guess when everything begins to wear out a bit it just can't fight the allergens as well.
    Cheery thought, huh?

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I grew up on an island where there was always fresh wind blowing all around and I had no allergy problems until I was an adult and moved to the mainland. Now I get bad allergies every spring and it is annoying. I mostly get a plugged nose and itchy or burning eyes. It has gotten to the point where I had to take Claratin some days. It makes me want to move back to the island.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    From what I've been understanding allergies are developed when we are exposed for a long time to something, so maybe it can be considered some sort of food or environmental poisoning. The outcome is just sad, a healthy kid so far starts to be allergic.

9. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's pretty common to experience allergies when you make a move. Sometimes, in time, you build up a resistance to the new things that bother you. Sometimes not.

I've made moves and found that allergies pretty much made me useless in the first season, but after that not so much.

10. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I moved to Albuquerque about three years ago at age 30 and developed allergies my first spring here. Luckily my body built some sort of defense so I don't get them anymore. When I lived in Las Vegas I would witness visitors and new residents had the same issues. When you move from one climate to another you get exposed to new allergens. So you may be allergic to certain things you entire life, but not show symptoms until you are exposed to them.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Allergies can come and go depending on the exposure of the allergens. You body can start to handle allergies it didn't before over time, and you can get new ones as well. It's not extremely common, but it's not an unseen anomaly either.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    They say that habituation can lead us to more tolerance and eventually that is true, but I totally disagree with the vaccine system for 3 years or so that eventually can make us feel better. Eventually! Seriously?