New Bottled Water Fads

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Aug 17, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like buying bottled water every now and again because I like having something to drink while I drive or walk around in malls, and I've recently been made aware of some new fads in the bottled water industry. The first I saw of such innovations was vitamin water which I didn't think was too off, but now there are things like smart water and even black water popping up, which aren't available in my country so I'm curios if anyone here has tried them out. If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it regarding the effectiveness of their claims and their taste, etc. if not, are you curious to try it?

20120404-083413.

SmartWater_7.

#1Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm bardly-convinced that bottled water is better than tap- (I'm sure the public's tap-water is responsibly well-filtered etc.; but 'better safe than sorry!')

But the only "change" I want in the water is God-given change. If you take water and 'add to it' or 'take away from it,' that's fine; just don't call it "water!"

3. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a fan of bottled water. Be it normal bottled water or flavoured water, I simply don't buy it. It's so much cheaper to drink tap water. It's perfectly healthy to do so where I live, it's even healthier than bottled water.

To answer your question, I've never tried any of the water varieties listed above. What does smart water even mean? Does it somehow make you smarter? Does it smartly tell you when to drink it? The black water in the picture looks appalling! Why is it black in the firs place? Does it have added minerals or something like that? Is it supposed to be healthier?

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What exactly is black water? It doesn't sound very inviting to me. I don't like the taste of bottled water, especially when it is stored in plastic. Occasionally, I will buy some mineral water such as Pellegrino or Perrier, but that's about it. In summer it really tastes delicious with a squeeze of lemon or grapefruit. I don't like any kind of flavour enhanced water. Who knows what kind of additives they put in it. And further more, what kind of interesting side effects will they have?

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I, also, do not care for bottled water. Do you know where I got the best tasting water I have ever had? NYC. That's right! New York City. So many complaints about tap water and that was the best water I ever tasted.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Vitamin waters and flavored waters are nothing new, that's for sure.

I've never heard of black water, though. I just looked it up and it sounds like a load of crap, to be honest, but that's not really all that surprising:

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My bad. I forgot to include the beneficial claims in my original post. Anyway, I think smart water supposedly contains electrolytes so I'm guessing it's just like Gatorade but without the sugar and coloring, while black water I think has some nutrients so it's probably meant to be kind of like vitamin water. I'm honestly a bit perplexed by the black water too as I assume many others are, but like all fads, celebrities seem to be jumping on it enthusiastically.

8. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    Okay, thank you for the follow-up post. I guess it's a better alternative to Gatorade and drinks like that since it doesn't have sugar and artificial colouring. You say that black water has some kind of vitamins, right? Why would they be black, I don't understand that. Maybe it's some kind of acid, I don't know.

But yes, celebrities will get fads like this one as soon as they come out, I bet many of them get paid to use them though.

9. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I love smart water its taste is so much smoother than other waters. I have tried the vitamin water and all types of flavored water in which I didnt like much. But I have never heard of any black water. I think that this is going to far, I can see like a black berry flavored water but just black water no to me that a bit to far off the market.

10. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    I usually drink nothing but distilled water, which comes in gallon jugs which cost about fifty cents at Kroger's. The whole bottled water /spring water thing is such an over hyped fad, it's just crazy. There is so much waste every single year from bottle water. And most bottled water is just tap water that has been filtered. Anyone can do this on their own.

As to the vitamin water, I think it is basically worthless. Unless you are getting your vitamins naturally from food, your body hardly absorbs them anyway. I doubt seriously that vitamin water has any real tangible health benefits.

11. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really like all the weird types of bottled water. They just seem too gimmicky and unnecessary. it feels like these water bottle brands just try to make you feel cool and healthy by what they're advertising on the bottle. There was a water bottle brand being advertised by a celebrity recently and this is another reason why I don't like them. I've never seen spring water as a fad though. I see it recommended more than distilled water if it comes from the right source.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I don't really get enthusiastic about it, so I certainly won't be jumping on the fad soon. I think this is in the same bracket as ionized water, and since I don't drink ionized water, then I will just look on and see if it will get popular. As of now, black water doesn't seem to be mainstream yet.