New energy saving washer and dryer

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by sinayat3 • Dec 10, 2012.

1. sinayat3

sinayat3New Member

Threads:
    My parents recently purchased a new energy saving washer and dryer. I'm not sure what brand it was, but it was supposed to save electricity and also not use as much water for the washer. The problem I've noticed with them is that they are REALLY painstakingly slow. It takes forever just to do one load of laundry. It's mainly the washer, but the dryer is very slow also. Just to give you an example, it takes me about an hour to wash and dry one large load of laundry at my house. Over there, just one load takes about 2 hours for the same load, even on the "quick" setting. Anyone else notice these issues? I would rather just get it done and over with, than to waste so much time doing the laundry to save a little money.

2. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I hadn't noticed about the time thing, but to be honest, I never really paid too much attention to it. I use to have an energy efficient washer and dryer, but I would just put the clothes in the washer and go do other stuff while my clothes were washing.

What I do feel is that energy efficient washers seem not to have enough power. Sometimes when I have used an energy efficient washer, I've felt that the clothes did not come out clean enough sometimes. But hey, one can have worse problems in life :)

I would prefer to to have my clothes wash quickly, especially if I have something to do. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind if they take a long time to wash.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard that the energy efficient washers and dryers take much longer than the non-efficient ones. It makes me wonder if they are really saving you any money then. I was hoping to get them sometime next year. I may have to think again about it. I don't like the idea that they don't work as well as cleaning the clothes. If you combine these two issues, I would be better off with my old machines.

4. copper

copperMember

Threads:
    New technologies for conservation is really welcomed. It not only cut the bills but also saves valuable resources.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    We've had a couple issues with our washer lately, so we had to use a different one for a couple of weeks. It was an older model, so it definitely used more water and electricity than our newer (then broken) one. The quick setting took 33 minutes, which is just about fine if you ask me, and the normal one lasted around an hour. Maybe the less electricity it consumes, the more time it takes?

6. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for giving us information on this appliances. I know there are washer and dryers out there that have energy saving settings, that will take up less water and electricity. These washer and dryers can also be set to work at maximum for the load if necessary. Needless to say these aren't cheap to buy because they have such features, but I guess in the long run they would pay for themselves if used in energy saving mode as much as possible.

7. Johnmichelsr

JohnmichelsrNew Member

Threads:
    I am not sure till now there is any washer that can save energy. They need power to dry our clothes. Only top expensive brands have improved efficiency washers.

#7Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  8. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    Well, when buying appliances, it depends on your needs. If you're focused on saving money, then energy saving appliances will obviously be the best choice; but if you're concerned about saving time, like when doing your laundry, then you will have to opt for the regular appliances. Well that will be the case until they create washers or dryers that are energy saving and finish the laundry in a suitable time frame.

9. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have a small washer, and it was the most economical and fastest washer that I have ever used. It was a little Hoover, and had a small wash basket, and a little tub to spin the clothes to rinse them. It rolled right up to the sink, and hooked up to the faucet with a hose.After you washed the first lead of clothes (the whites), then you caould spin the soapy water back in to re-use for the second load (the colored), and then you just added a little extra cold water to rinse the clothes, and spin that out, and they were almost dry.
    Then, I either hung them out to dry on the line, or if it was raining, I could put them in the dryer. In about 45 minutes, I would have washed 3 loads of clothes, reusing the water, except for rinsing, so I not only saved on water, but also on electricity.