New Monitor Vs Tv

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by doctah • Jun 28, 2015.

?

Which would you choose?

1. 34" 3440x1440

2. 40" 4k

3. Other option (posted below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. doctah

doctahNew Member

Threads:
    Hi everyone.

I'm currently looking to add a new monitor to my 'battle station'. I'll mostly use it for work (large spreadsheets), but will also play some games (performance isn’t really a concern). My primary niche use is music creation.

Currently, I have 2x23” 1920x1080 monitors. I plan to have them stacked vertically to the left on monitor arms. I should be able to place them in portrait mode when needed. My new monitor will be front and center.

I’m really stuck between getting a 40” 4k monitor/TV and a 34” 3440x1440 ultra wide screen. On one hand…4k. On the other hand, the 34” screen looks rather awesome and I think it will fit my space better.

Does anyone have experience with both? Preferences?

Thanks for any insight.

(fwiw: looking at the 34" Samsung/Dell/lg/acer vs the 40" samsung ju6700)

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any experience with the size monitor you are asking about but I do like the like of the sizes when you are playing games. I have seen them displayed in the stores only.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't understand why people use large monitors when it's proven in most cases to hamper productivity. I'd go with the smaller monitor because it's more manageable and still has a high resolution. Plus, you stated yourself that it fits your area of use better, and that should be your deciding factor right there. There's no use in crowding an area where you're supposed to be working.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it will depend on their uses. Do you need the larger, better resolution screen for creating and editing videos to go with your music? I'd probably choose the one that fit into the space better, since crowding would niggle at me and cause distraction.

5. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Chances are, at such a high resolution, there wouldn't be any content for it to display and you would have in return stretched content that looks worse than advertised, trust me. I've burned myself way too many times to spend this much on monitors that don't even have content to display. Go for the smaller one.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I work with graphics and personally I prefer using monitors to TVs because the output is much more accurate and crisp although I don't think it would matter much if you just plan on using it for spreadsheets. I think it might have the same effect for games though as from what I understand monitors have better capacity for high frame rates and other similar features that would make your gaming experience more pleasant. If you plan on using it from far away, however, I think a tv will be just fine.