New or Used Tires?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by deecee • May 12, 2012.

1. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    I've been researching tires for an article I wrote. One of the cost-cutting ideas I've used and also read about was buying used tires. They don't last as long, but they are a lot cheaper.

Would you ever buy used tires for your vehicle?

2. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Depends on how old they are and the condition of the tires.

Sometimes, old tires are in respectable condition and making the purchase isn't a bad idea. However, there are other times where the tire is a lost cause.

I suppose if you have a keen eye, it's a smart way to save money.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely not. There are some things that I just won't skimp on and my health is one of those things. It's bad enough when people are riding around on tires past their point of safety, but I will never understand why someone will start out on used tires. A 3,500 pound vehicle and you want to purposely shortchange your safety.

I won't even buy cheap, new tires or an off brand.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'd never buy used, although I do look around for deals on new tyres. I'm not prepared to compromise on my safety and the safety of my passengers for the sake of saving a few bucks. Another thing to remember is that new tyres come with a warranty - even if the same applies to used tyres, it's going to be a short term warranty. Some things are worth saving on - safety is definitely not one of those things. Also, what position would your insurers take in the event of an accident? You need to think about these things.

5. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought used tires plenty of times, mostly when I was a broke college kid lol. My dad is a mechanic and because of his advice I also learned to buy used car parts. I have saved thousands of dollars by buying a used transmission, used gas tank, sensors, windows, and various other parts at salvage yards. As for safety I have never had any issue with used tires or any other used part I have bought becoming a safety hazard. If fact its safer to buy used tires with more tread on them than drive around on bald tires. Some used tires come off vehicles that may have been wrecked or mechanically unable to operate anymore. I know people who have wrecked their vehicle 100-200 miles after putting on brand new tires or putting in a new water pump or other part. To me it just makes sense financially and environmentally for those parts to be used to their full life span.

6. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I have never bought used tires before. I've heard about people buying them used and saving a lot of money and while that is great and all I'm still unsure. I know nothing about used tires, I don't know what to look for myself and I'm not sure I'm willing to listen to the salesperson (who knows, they might be bs-ing me to get me to buy them) and risk the safety of my family if the tires blow or something like that. At least when I buy it new, I know I"m getting it new and I can rely on it.

7. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    This will depend on how much cut can you get, Ig you can save more than 50% then I will definitely go with a used tire. You also have to think of how much do you use your car. If you drive a lot then don;t go for used tires because they will not last long. Eventually after a month or two you will buy another one so just go for the brand new ones.

8. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I often buy retreds and have never had any issues. I keep track of my tires and replace when they start getting worn at a fraction of what new tires cost. Tires get inspected yearly anyway. I have had new tires get punctures and blow as easy as retreads.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have purchased used and rebuilt auto parts, but never tires. Nope. I love the peace of mind that comes with buying new tires. Here in California, the road are littered with treds from retred tires. Somethings are worth buying brand new and auto tires are definitely one of them.

10. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on how long you are expecting them to last and how long you are keeping your car. I have a very high car payment, over $500 a month. I needed a new set of 4 tires for my car, and they were going to cost me $1200 for all four. To be honest, with such a high car payment I couldn't even afford 2 right now. I don't drive much. My car will be paid off within a year or so ( Thank God, not soon enough) So I figured these 4 used tires I bought for $200 will at least last me 2 years. That way when my car is finally paid off, I can save the money from the $500 payment and in 3-4 months I can get the tires I really need.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Tires are one of the few things I recommend buying brand new. There's a reason people get rid of their tires and therefore are selling "used" ones. Yes, they are cheaper, but they won't last nearly as long either and it makes you more prone to a blowout constantly. That could cause even more damage and costs. Buy them new and consider it a good investment.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do purchase used tires. I do save money on the cost of the tires, the car I am driving now is an older vehicle which I will be replacing soon. I have never had a problem with my used tires.

13. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I would go for the new tires, and if I don't have the money I'll wait until I can afford them. When my life is involved in a purchase I don't want to buy anything used. That's just my policy, but if I was in a tight spot, I would probably buy used tires. I would just use those until I can afford to buy some new ones.

14. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to buy new tires because in the long run you will probably spend less on the new ones. If you have to keep replacing used tires, the cost will add up fairly quickly. Before you know it, you have just spent more on used tires than you would have if you had just got new ones in the first place.

15. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Coming from a background where money was always scarce we always purchased used tires. If you find someone with good deals and has tires that are in great condition they can last you quite sometime. It also depends on if you have long commutes or a trip coming up - you obviously don't want to replace your tires with used ones if you will be driving a lot on them or if you have some sort of trip coming up that can put you and/or the travelers in some sort of danger.

16. LiquidatorBrunt

LiquidatorBruntMember

Threads:
    I would never buy them, but I would and have used them. If I can get a free used tire in good condition, I'll use it. Having worked at a tire shop myself, I know what to look for in a used tire to have a good idea if it is safe or not. One thing to keep in mind when considering a tire, it is the most important part of your vehicle. You can have the best car in the world and it won't matter if your tires are no good. Those few square inches where rubber meets the road are vital! Also you're in serious trouble if you have a blowout on the highway because of a damaged used tire.

17. dhintaka

dhintakaMember

Threads:
    Yes, I cannot afford new tires. So I end up buying used tires. I totally depend on the shopkeeper, who guides me eventually. And I have no time to wait because my car keeps on moving daily. Actually, it has never given so much of trouble. It has been a year and half since I have put used tires on my car.

18. kidensika

kidensikaNew Member

Threads:
    I had been involved in a car accident which was fatal for one of the passengers because the back tyre was not in good condition, so i would recommend and advise you to always get new tyres and never opt for something cheap. Safety is extremely important not just for you but everyone on the road.

19. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Unless you know a lot about tires and what to look for, I would buy new tires. I did buy used tires once and had luck with them, but I was replacing really bad tires on a car that wasn't going to last much longer (it was starting to rust kind of bad.) We got a really good deal on them and they were just about brand new from the junk yard. But that was the exception to the rule so to speak. I typically would not recommend it unless you are good with tires because you would want to look for possible defects and anything else that can become a problem.

If the car was going to last longer, I would have probably not even looked for used tires.

20. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends if you trust the seller that you are buying from but it more important to buy something that is quality especially if its something that you drive. Therefore I rather stay on the safe side.