New or used?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by andrew320 • Jun 21, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    You know, I can't remember the last time I purchased a brand new book. In the last five years, a friend of mine bought me a brand new book, Fyodor Dostoevsky's "The House of the Dead," but other than that I don't have many new books. All the books I have bought have been used and were purchased at a used bookstore or at Amazon for a penny.

Do you prefer to buy new or used books?

2. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I buy new because I typically go into a brick and mortar store for my books. I rarely buy books online anyway and used bookstores never have the book I want.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I buy new as often as I can. I like to make my own creases in the book and I rarely make creases in them. I don't like how most people read books and magazines, so I try not to read any after someone else. Only books of a historical nature have I been willing to buy used. I don't even like buying books from the bookstores that allow people to sit and read them like they are in the library, because they are all bent up.

4. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    If I do buy books, which is rarely as there never seems to be enough time to read, I buy them new at a bookstore. I would normally buy non-fiction then. If I feel like reading a fiction book then I prefer to borrow them from the library, although the amount of fines I have had to pay for late returns I could have just as well bought them new.

5. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I buy secondhand books in a local bookshop here. I don;t really buy new books because the price difference is huge. I don;t really collect books and I don;t really read that much. I just buy books that could seem to be useful for me and most of the time I could find it at 2nd hand sale of books.

6. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Back when I still read books in paper format, I almost always buy them from secondhand book stores. There are lots of wonderful books on sale there and for the price of a new book, I can literally get a box of secondhand ones. Now I only read books in digital format and I download all of them. For free.

7. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    In the past I have mostly bought new, but we now have a used bookstore in town. I have had good luck there finding more obscure books that aren't on the shelf at the regular bookstore. For textbooks, we almost always buy used online.

8. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    WOw, this really made me think. I can't even remember the last time I bought a book. I usually just read everything online, or with my IPAD. Just another sign of the times, and they they are a changing'.

9. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    The last time I bought a brand new book was about 6 years ago. I no longer buy new paperback books for a number of reasons. I will only buy one if it is printed on sustainable paper. Most of my reading now is done online. I have no issues with buying books second hand but I find them cumbersome and unnecessary, so now I buy e-books.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love physical books. Many bookstores are closing. It's really sad. I prefer new books. I do love to troll used bookstore too. I can usually find a gem or too.

11. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    The last time I bought new books was last year. What I love about bookstores here is that they always have offers of 3 books for R100 (USD11.00). Most of the books I found were quite recent. As for used books, I don't mind buying used books, but I hardly get anything that I want. Even though I have a Kindle, I still love reading physical books!

12. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought a book new in my entire life. I always get used books because it doesn't need to be in perfect condition to read it. I'm guessing the pages are still there you don't need it new. The only time I would think of buying a new book is if I'm getting it signed. You can't show up to a book signing with a used book that looks bad. I'm not a big reader, but I do enjoy a good book occasionally.

13. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    It's been a while since I've bought a brand new book. I usually go to the local used book store these days. It does help that they have this credit system where I can trade in books for credit to get big discounts on purchases. I also like buying at the used book stores because a lot of times they'd have older books.

14. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    My library system regularly has massive book sales so I don't really need to buy anything new and if I want something there are generally free editions online for download.

15. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    It ultimately depends on the book. For simple fiction books and recipe books that I frequently buy, getting the brand new ones isn't so bad. As for the books I use in school, which happen to be these really heavy Medical books with prices ranging from $25 to $170 even, I usually just get the second hand ones. I really don't have much of a choice in the matter, actually.

16. Moneysaver93

Moneysaver93Member

Threads:
    For me it just depends on what my options are. If I can get a new book at a price of a used book then I would go that route. However, sometimes I just like to get used books because you not only get the book, but you get the history behind the book. You find out a little bit about the person who had the book before you. Sometimes they leave little notes and bookmarks that are just bonuses. You never know what fascinating things you might find in a used book.

17. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    My golden rule for books: creases on the books can only be made by me, and only me.

Sounds selfish I know, but I can't help reading a book the way it's supposed to be read. I can't stand people who open the book at such an acute angle, I don't even understand how they could read the words towards the end of the page.

That said, I still DO take care of the books, and the creases will only be in normal aggravation. I don't buy second-hand books because some look as if it had been bitten by dogs. I only don't mind if I had caused those creases myself.

Also, good books that I want to read must be purchased originally. If it's a book I want to have as a collection, eg the Harry Potter series, I will never buy second-hand ones.

18. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I honestly prefer new ones. Who doesn't love the smell of a brand new book? :p

19. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    It depends on whether it's fiction or non-fiction, and the sort of deals that are available. Where fiction is concerned, I'll usually buy used, from car boot sales or from local book exchanges, where you pay a certain price for a book, then return it and get credit towards another book. Here, we pay 1 or 2 Euro ($1.25 or $2.50) for the first book and get half of that back on a subsequent purchase. I have a group of 3 or 4 friends with similar reading tastes, so we pass the books around. The first person pays for a book, then the last person to read it returns it and pays for a new one. It means I get to read several books for the price of one.

When I was in the UK, I bought a new cookery book because it was on sale at the ridiculous price of £2.99 ($4.75). That's the only time I really buy new books, if they're cheap and if I plan to keep them.

20. summerRain

summerRainMember

Threads:
    I prefer to buy used books because it is more affordable than the new ones.. If I like a certain book so much or if it is written by my favorite author, I will definitely buy a brand new book.. :)