New Toshiba Windows 10 Satellite Laptop Hhmm...

Discussion in Product Reviews started by S.O. Price • Sep 1, 2015.

1. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    So I just got a new, desperately needed Toshiba laptop and I guess I'm stuck with a laptop that has a significantly noisy fan. Not really happy about that, but I'm going to keep it. My old Windows 7 laptop was so bad that I could barely do any work before it would lock up and I'd have to reboot. Yes, I checked for malware and I had anti-virus software on it. I just cannot wait to ship back the Toshiba, get a refund and start shopping all over again.

I never had a Toshiba before and the reviews seemed pretty good so I went for it. I did some research last night and it sounds (pardon the pun) that others have had problems with Toshiba fans. Live and learn. Next time maybe I'll try a Dell.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have had the older versions of the Toshiba laptops and although my experience with it wasn't perfect it still was at least slightly better than my worst laptop experience. My old Toshiba laptop had a broken screen by the second year, without me doing anything to it, so I had to connect an external screen to it, and eventually the fan started to get noisy too. Still, in this state it lasted a long time and it's still more than I could say about an old hp laptop I had that had plastic so flimsy it smashed when I was trying to open it once.

3. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    A lot of computers have this problem. Fans are obviously a big component in laptop computers because they help to keep it cool. Its a prettu common occurence for them to malfunction, break, or just be noisy. I'm an Apple user and thats not a big problem on MacBooks.

4. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    @gmckee1985@gmckee1985 I've never had a fan be this noisy before. I am starting to get used to it. My last laptop was an Acer and believe it or not, there was something I actually liked about the noise of its fan! How bizarre.

@DrRipley@DrRipley I've had a couple of HPs and I won't buy one again. I don't like them. As I said, maybe next time it will be a Dell. There is also a company here in the U.S. that builds them, you know, "Buy American" and all that, which I would truly like to do. It's just that of course it's a few hundred more than what the big boys offer and every penny counts in my budget. Still, I'd like to offer them some business at some point. Their pricing is probably comparable to Apple products.

#4Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2015
  5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I had this same problem with a budget HP laptop I bought a few years ago for around $300. I just wanted something to tide me over until I get a new workstation, since my main computer at the time had died on me, beyond repair. I couldn't stand it after the second day and promptly returned it to the store in exchange for a Lenovo entry level laptop for around the same price which ran almost completely silent.

When they are noisy like that right out of the box, that generally means the computer was just poorly designed, and it's eventually gonna die on you soon, from getting overheated so easily.

I've also run into this problem when I've purchased compact desktop systems from places like Dell - I would upgrade the video card to a dedicated video card, as well as a dedicated sound card, and I believe the overall layout of the tower wasn't designed with upgrades in mind, meaning beefed up video and sound cards would easily overheat in those towers. Two of my Dell systems just flat out died on me after getting overheated easily for a couple years.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's funny how subjective brand reviews are because each computer manufacturer tends to have a few hits and a few misses each year with new models. Sure, that one might have a noisy fan, but then there are plenty of other Toshiba computers that have quiet-ish fans. I'd say it's a subjective thing, too. If it's loud to you, then obviously it's a problem for you, but that doesn't mean the fan is actually that loud. You'd have to actually test out other computers with a sound meter to determine which ones are "loud".

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Glad to see someone agree with me on HP. I've heard good things about Dell and from what I understand it's still a very popular brand among professionals. I'd also recommend one that I always see getting suggested which is the Lenovo Y series laptops which I think is meant more for gaming but it's really cheap for something that powerful. Unfortunately I don't have enough on me right now to test it out myself though.

8. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Well, at one point Lenovo got caught big time allowing third parties to be secretly pre-installed on their new computers. These third parties were secretly gathering information on the people who were using the computers. I don't know if they are doing that now but I would never buy a Lenovo because they allowed that to happen. Not cool at all!