New type of Scam Email to watch out for.

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by pafjlh • Dec 20, 2012.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I recently received an email telling me that I had changed my password. So what was so odd about this how did I know it was a scam? Simple,I hadn't recently changed any of my passwords, and also I had never heard of this website that I was suppose to be a member of before. Also, the link where they told me to go if I questioned the password change looked suspicious, not the way that I usually expect them to look.

So, I figured that they were either trying to get my information or expose me to virus in order to hack into my system. My warning here,is always be alert to what you are doing online. Know which websites you are a part of and when you updated a password. Also, if you receive an email telling you that you updated a password to a website you are a member of, but don't remember doing this. Don't press the link in side the email, but go to your bookmark of the website, to check to see if this email is telling you the truth and maybe someone else changed this password without your permission.

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    We need to be alert to this type of fraud. Many of us spend a few hours connected to the Internet and we can detect most scammers strategies, but the creativity to cause damage hasn't limits. Every day there are new strategies and is for that reason that we should discuss all such experiences, the advice is an essential tool to counteract the harmful effects caused by online fraud. Your tips are very useful to those who should put a little more attention in their online activity.

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    This is a simple yet useful piece of advice. It's sad to know many people still fall for these (I don't blame them though, not everyone's great with computers). Having a good antivirus to block malicious scripts, as well as anti-malware software (e.g. MalwareBytes) is important too, in case you ever accidentally click on one of those links.

4. Smackz

SmackzNew Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the heads-up. I try not to open anything i'm unsure of. I honestly think that all people should think like that. I'm glad you're spreading the word so that other people can be aware. Awareness is the first step to prevention!

5. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    T;)hanks for the heads up on this. I would of never thought of getting something like that . Really appreciate your post, it has been very helpful and i have passed the info on to other friends and family.

6. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    I just read about one that seems to be in the Vancouver or British Columbia area that has to do with malware getting into a computer and freezing it. Then some notice comes up on the screen saying your computer is locked because you did not pay some sort of registration fee.
    I think I saw the info on yahoo news.
    Regardless this sort of thing is just evil.
    I know i have had a couple of the old classics and one that came from a supposed lawyer saying someone with the same last name as mine had left me money. Please send info to the lawyer to process this inheritance. Actually this one was very nicely done.
    Scams and identity theft. There should be a circle in hell for the people behind these.
    Ryder13

7. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    It is shocking how people set up stuff like this just to ruin someone's computer and get access to their info. It's like, don't they have anything else to do? I mean really.

I see so much junk come in through e-mail, it is not even funny. And people really try to trick you into opening their messages. Some of them address you as if they know you or something, anything to trick you into clicking onto their message. So much misinformation out there.

8. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I get to be the one that deals with the aftermath of viruses on a computer so I am glad that you posted this. I can see some people I know falling for this one and then after they get hit, they want me to fix it for them. I'll be sure to let them know so maybe they can prevent it from happening! Thanks for the share.

9. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:

This isn't new. This happens all the time. Never send a password in an e-mail and never click a link from an e-mail in order to change your password unless you have requested the e-mail yourself. Here's a tip: If you click an e-mail link to change your password and it requests that you put your old one in first, you're probably going to be a victim of a Phising scam.

10. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    It's crazy that we live in a world where people are always trying to get over on others. What is crazy is that they do not care who it is. I use to get these all the time with my Craigslist account. I would get emails that would say your password was changed, if you didn't make this change click here. I did click on it one day and the next thing I know my Computer had a Virus. The best thing about it was I knew how to clear my PC of the Virus, but when that happens you never know how much information they received if any. Thanks for giving everyone a heads up!

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These days people should be more vigilant when clicking on links, because a lot of people are eyeing on unsuspecting people to be able to steal their passwords and other important info. The number one rule when clicking on links should be that if you did not initiate any change of details on your account then don't click it or entertain any email asking for your personal info.

12. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I get several of those a month and I now send them directly to spam and whatever goes in my spam folder I just delete. I have also been getting another one that says, "Your Deposit is waiting for you." I have to say I haven't opened it, because I knew it was a lie and I know every site I am on that pays me to make money on, so that was odd to me. That is another that goes to spam. I really like the fact that you are making people aware of what is going on. People fail to realize they may not be the only ones having a hard time, when people are having a hard time it makes the more aware of their surroundings and information online so they can be safe.

13. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been receiving lots of very suspect emails recently. My junk folder is full of emails and the majority of them are scams.

I never open suspect emails because it's not worth the risk. I've learned from my mistakes in the past when it comes to that.

14. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    I always receive spam emails, telling me I won millions of money from famous and big companies like Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Coca Cola, etc. I wonder if there are lots of people that fall for such scams, especially now that money is much more needed. :confused: