Nikon D5100, I absolutely love it.

Discussion in Product Reviews started by beachdesign • Jun 16, 2012.

1. beachdesign

beachdesignNew Member

Threads:
    I just recently purchased a Nikon D5100, and I absolutely love the camera, I get great shots from it and it's pretty light weight. It's my first camera of many to come, I plan on being a professional photographer.

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, that's great I'm happy you found something you like. I was thinking about getting a new camera. This sounds like a good buy, but is there anything specific that you like about the camera?

3. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I have spent a lot of time conducting user reviews for items such as cameras. As a matter of fact, this item actually made the top 10 must haves for this particular consumer electronic device. I agree that this is a solid performer and provides a great value to the consumer.

4. youtubedomination

youtubedominationMember

Threads:
    We're looking to get a camera over the summer and the D5100 looks like a great choice, did you get a lens kit with the camera?

5. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Is it as fun being a photographer or into photography with digital cameras? I always thought part of the fun was standing in the darkroom developing the pictures. It just seems like loading it onto a computer all the time would take some of the allure away from die hards.

6. Alexandre33

Alexandre33Banned

Threads:
    Hi friends i am here i am using Nikon D3600 and this si good camera to use and make the photographs actually the main thing is in this camera that we can attach another post with this camera to make high quality of photo result ........

#6May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  7. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Nikon as well. Camera gets the job done, and still have many crystal-clear shots from summer.

8. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    One thing you should know about Nikons though is they do their best work with Energizer batteries. Panasonics, Duracells, etc aren't gonna keep it running for too long. Saying this from experience.

9. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    My sister has this same exact camera, it is really good. I have taken some greats shots my self with it, it's surprisingly light and so it's easily portable too.

10. SophiaLazar

SophiaLazarMember

Threads:
    Hi Everybody! I'm new here. I have a lot of techie stuff to talk about and was encouraged to write on other forums, Please give me some feedback if you can about my information..
    I'm going to talk a little about the Nikon D5200 on this thread since the it has some features that are upgrades from the 5100. I'm going to also tell some differences between it and the 3200 series.
    First off, if you are going to be using your Nikon out in the outdoors in fluctuating temperatures, the 5200 series will give you the alloy body which contains more metal in the housing, and the added weather stripping. The 3200 does not have the same aluminium alloy body or weather resistance in the body, to my knowledge.

Next: couple things regarding video.
    The DSLR camera differs in terms of usage from a handheld camcorder, in that the sensor will heat up after a maximum of 15 minutes of continuous shooting. Some say 10 minutes, so if video there are clips that you would like to shoot without stopping the shutter, you will want to note that the weather stripping does not particularly protect from extreme heat, but rather from condensation inside the camera.

I have seen this in the shop time and time again, people sending them out for wetness in the lens, and not sure if it reached the mother board and sensor. SO this would be where you would make the call on adding a 99 dollar handheld action flip cam or other camcorder (assuming you dont want to use your phone :)) to your set of gear, to prevent the cost and inconvenience of sending out the camera to Nikon for assessment and repairs. I'm going to give a related consumer tip here, remember that though the Geek Squad will fix laptops on the spot, if you have a repair plan through them on the purchase of a Nikon as far as my experience has been, it WILL go to the Nikon corporate shop for assessment before you even know whats wrong with it, and they will cover parts and labor. I hope that makes sense, when you get into this situation, it can be frustrating to be away from your beloved DSLR. I don't at all have a preference that I recommend either way for Geek Squad services, because that is always a really personal decision based on who is using the camera and how they care for the gear.

One of the coolest new features on the 5200 is this: On the 5100 you could easily use the photo effect feature to select parts of a shot in black and white and color just one area with a vibrant color. For example, if a bride were in a white satin gown, and holding a pink bouquet of roses, and her bride groom had a matching cummerbund in his tux, and all the bridesmaids had pink gowns, could have a classy black and white shot with just those colors. Now in the 5200, you can do that with the video!
    The demo for this inside the Nikon training materials shows a great example of an outdoor jazz band concert where the brass horns are selected a rich brass color, and the rest is black and white. It's a very classy effect for weddings, or dance recitals.

Here's another great feature these models as well as other new Nikons now take the Nikon Wu-1a Wi-Fi adapter. This is a proprietary device that allows you remotely use your Ipad to control most of the functions of the camera. It is a preferable method over using a WIFI insert memory card. You can now use your Ipad to control and view the shots from farther away! It is an enormous boon to photographers and videographers, to not need an additional pair of hands during shoots, It definitely lets you also control your speed-lights.

With respect to that, if this is something you are torn on whether to go for the Canon or the Nikon, (while I won't compare int this post any other features of the two brands), one tie-breaker for them is possibly the use of speed-lights. In my experience the Nikon system does not need the use of third party devices to get multiple Nikon brand speed-lights to trigger accurately and time properly, and the lights themselves seem to consistently come under the Canon system in price.
    Thats all for now, feel free to ask about other features, lenses or glass

#10Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013