No referral link rule

Discussion in Suggestions & Feedback started by Pandorical • Apr 9, 2012.

1. Pandorical

PandoricalActive Member

Threads:
    I've just noticed on a thread that someone posted a referral link (when others had posted a higher discount). I'm not saying that's the worst thing ever but wouldn't it make sense to have a no referral links rule unless the link it the only way to get the discount. Without this rule or something similar the forum could be open to forms of abuse.

2. iam911

iam911Member

Threads:
    I think no referral link rule wouldn't entirely be fair for the OP, since whoever found the site should get something in return. However, to incorporate it, maybe it should be a requirement to post a non-referral link also, or maybe have a section where it is dedicated just for referrals.

3. dpf

dpfAdministrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    Referral links policy is open... and will remain open... as long it is keep fair... like no spam/abuse... add value&uniqe content to community...
    We will keep a win/win (we win/you win) policy for our members... Share and win ;)
    When the main website will be online... will add some new rules... like... no links to competition websites... All rules will be fair...
    Soon i will put some forum rules & guidelines... i still watch & learn from posts... to see whats need to be pointed...

4. Pandorical

PandoricalActive Member

Threads:
    OK, fair enough. That makes more sense than what I suggested actually.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't mind referral links too much, but I do think the general etiquette should be that you disclose it. It drives me nuts when someone uses a url shortener to hide the fact that they're posting a referral link. I'll happily use a referral link when someone points me to something awesome, but if they try to act like they're not gaining something by sharing, I tend to just google the site instead so they don't get credit. That's a little mean, but it really bugs me when they can't stand behind their own links either.

6. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    As usual, I fully agree with your comment. I have no problem with signing up as someone's referral wherever I'm asked to, as long as I'm given a full link and some info about it. I can't stand bit.ly and goo.gl shorteners that may link to who knows what site.

7. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    At the risk of sounding like a pack follower, I have no problems with referral links as long as they are relevant to the topic, and the poster comes out and says that it is a referral link. I do have a problem with threads that are merely a means of promoting referral links, and I think we all need to be up to speed on that, and report instances of abuse.

8. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    I agree, Sandra. I have no problem using a referral link from someone, as long as they say it's a referral link and it's relevant. I can't abide spam, though!

9. savetoday

savetodayMember

Threads:
    If someone is the first to discover something, then they should get the benefits of referrals.

10. Pandorical

PandoricalActive Member

Threads:
    As the op, I've changed my stand point on this. However, I think it should be required to say that the link is a referral link to keep things fair.

11. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't understand why people would want to hide their referral links anyway. I mean, we're all familiar with the concept of capitalism, right? I can't think of anybody who would begrudge someone getting paid for advertising something, especially if it's a worthy product.

12. Pandorical

PandoricalActive Member

Threads:
    The reason I would like it to be indicated is due to bad experiences on other sites. What people were doing was downright against the services (EG: Swagbucks or Prizerebel's) rules. I think something something as simple as a * next to a referral link (like on MoneySavingExpert) would be simple but would stop people abusing things like this.

If you really want me to go into full detail on this then here it is:
    I regularly check a Reddit called

. The idea of this reddit is to help people earn money (or other things) online. Their second rule is (and I quote) "When you post a link to a website with a referral link, include a non-referral link. If you were helpful, people will use the referal link.". The reason I love this rule is that it encourages people to post quality content about the site they are advertising and it stops spam. I strongly believe that if someone joins Don'tPayFull and starts posting things along the lines of the following then they don't deserve to get the referral bonus.
    (Obviously an extreme example)

However, I now fully agree that if someone posts helpful info about a site that encourages you to sign up then they deserve the bonus.

13. cluckis

cluckisBanned

Threads:
    I think referral links are actually ok, but spamming is annoying. I personally put a link to the regular sign up without a ref some where in the post as well. But only if it's a non-invite only site.

14. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    As long as they aren't excessive, the referral links shouldn't be much of a problem honestly. I can understand if a person is putting up ONLY referrals. But if it's a rarity, then I say big deal.

15. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with what jessi said, put your referral link out there. If I don't thinkyou've been helpful or I see you as a spammer I will just google the site and sign up myself.

16. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. In fact, if I think you're a spammer, I'll assume the site isn't worth much else you would have something constructive to say about it.

17. edvisual

edvisualBanned

Threads:
    I think you are right. If someone finds a great website and shares with everybody else they should get something in return for showing interest in the community.
    I don't actually agree with the "no referral link rule"

18. youtubedomination

youtubedominationMember

Threads:
    I actually had no idea that this was a rule, I've seen multiple threads with referral links. I think a good suggestion would be to allow referral links, with the catch that a non-referral link must also be provided. Thoughts?

19. edvisual

edvisualBanned

Threads:
    I see your point here and I actually agree with you.
    This it what I also do every time I post a referral link on a website, I post the referral link and after that the non-referral link. If the peope appreciate what you've shared, they will probably use the referral link

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This policy will keep the spam down, but will allow good information to be shared. This policy will keep the forum from being a dumping ground for adverts.