No shampoo movement

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by jleadbet • Feb 15, 2013.

1. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I read in article in Kiwi magazine about a no shampoo movement. The writer stopped washing her hair with traditional shampoo and instead used vinegar and baking soda every 3-4 days. After 4 weeks, her hair felt great and looked great. The author was doing it to get away from chemicals, but as a frugal person, I thought it would also be a way to save money. Although shampoo has never broken my budget. I don't think I would opt for it.

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    The vinegar and baking soda are products with many properties related to hair care. Its benefits are known for decades, and even grandmothers recommended this alternative. Beyond the benefits that can be generated in our hair fibers and scalp health, perhaps it is a natural alternative to avoid using products with chemicals. At present, most of the hair products are dermatologically tested, but natural options are always a good choice. I agree with you: I don't think that means big savings in our family budget, but worth trying. :)

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use vinegar as a household cleaner. I really don't like the smell, but I tolerate it because it's a non-chemical cleaner. I don't think I would like washing my hair with vinegar. I don't want the smell anywhere near my hair. It smell will eventually dissipate, but still.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have seen this becoming really popular over the last few years, but for frugal and green reasons.

Personally, I have tried using things like baking soda and vinegar before and my hair hated it. I know it takes time to get used to it but I just don't think it's for me.

5. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    The smell of vinegar always reminds me of my grandma. She used it for everything. She even mixed it with some other stuff and made a health drink. I can still remember opening her refrigerator and smelling vinegar all the time. I know she also cleaned with it and rinsed her hair too. She said it made hair shiny. I've never tried it, but I do clean with it.

6. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I don't fancy this either. I have Lupus, which means I lose more hair than most people, so I wouldn't use something I haven't tried and tested. It took me a long time to find a shampoo and conditioner that helped to add volume to my hair and keep it healthy. I use Schwarzkopf Gliss for damaged hair, and I can get it in Poundland in the UK, so it's not expensive.

7. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I starting to think that baking soda and vinegar are natural alternatives to many different things. I too have used both of these to clean my house, such as my mirrors and sinks in my bathrooms. I have also used them to freshen and unclog drains in my house. But I know that baking soda and vinegar have many other uses. In the past I did use vinegar after shampooing my hair as a way to get all the soap out. Now it seems as if it can be used along with baking soda as an alternative to shampoo.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've done something like this as well. I only wash my hair with shampoo very occasionally, as in once every few weeks. However, you're right that it doesn't really save any money as shampoo tends to be ridiculously cheap.

9. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    What type of vinegar are we discussing here, white vinegar or another type? wouldn't it leave a strong smell on your head!

I've also heard that egg white is good for your hair too. Not entirely sure how you're supposed to use it, let it dry in before washing it our or what.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    White vinegar is fine, but apple cider vinegar is better. And strangely, it doesn't leave a strong smell at all. The smell goes away very quickly after you rinse. If you're still wary of it, you can mix in a few drops of scented oil, and that smell will linger in your hair for a while.

11. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Nope I think i will leave vinegar to clean my kitchen counter tops and mirrors.. I hate the smell of vinegar on my person. I could try baking powder.. but I wonder if you can use it with colored hair.

12. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds a bit more appealing. Especially adding scented oil to the mix to get that shampooey after smell. Nice tips!

13. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Maddie, you should try cider vinegar, the smell isn't bad and you could even use citrus peels to improve the odor. Just soak orange peels in the vinegar for a week or two and you'll have the added benefit of the oils from the citrus peels. If interest keeps growing in using vinegar beyond the kitchen, people are going to have to start making their own!

I sometimes use Dr. Bronner's on my hair or African black soap.

14. wolfpacklovin

wolfpacklovinNew Member

Threads:
    I make my own shampoo and use an apple cider vinegar rinse after and it really does make my hair shiny! People always ask me how I get my hair so soft. Plus, I think it smells great, but then again I love ACV! :D I'm thinking about trying baking soda in my hair for a few weeks to see how I like it. I'm pretty interested in this topic. Thanks for the idea! I will report back to this post with my opinion/results. ;)

15. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Black soap is awesome, but you have to make sure you get real black soap and not an imitation. The imitations are more drying than regular soap. I unwittingly used an imitation black soap once and I've never been more ashy in my life.

16. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shampoo is quite expensive when you total up the cost for a year. Using baking soda and vinegar etc would save money.

I haven't used shampoo for over a year now and I doubt I will ever use it again. Shampoo strips the hair of its natural oils and is full of chemicals.

17. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Chanell, I just some some ACV and I am going to try it.. but I color my hair.. is it okay to use baking soda or ACV on your hair if you have colored it?

18. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    There are two that I use; if I can't get the raw stuff, there is a commercially produced one that I like. I buy the Dudu Osun and I am very happy with the results. A lot of the ones that claim to be black soap just have dye, but you can tell by the texture of the soap. It's really not black, but some shade of brown depending on how long it was cooked and what ingredients were used.

19. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    That's a good question, Maddie. I really can't remember what I've read, but I guess it would depend on what you use to color your hair. Vinegar helps set dye in cloth and it works when dyeing eggs at Easter time also. I would think if you use something natural like henna or coffee it would be okay.

I just did A quick search and someone here claims it doesn't hurt color:

20. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for that quick work Chanell, I appreciate that. I color my hair right out of a tube.. No henna for me..That doesn't really suit my hair or my skin. I will go ahead and give the vinegar a try.