"no-spend" Days?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Denis Hard • Feb 18, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got inspiration for this from the "No-Spend Month" Thread.

I was thinking -- what if someone isn't able to make such a commitment - to go the whole month without spending money on anything other than food and other [bare] necessities. Wouldn't they save a little money if they had at least 2 0r 3 "No-spend" days each week?

Thoughts?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think this can be helpful and it can even lead to something a bit more permanent, since you could distribute the challenge into something a bit more manageable. However, I do think it is a bit of a challenge to keep it up, so if it were me I'd probably be able to do it for just a few months until I slip back into old habits. If I had to do something similar I'd probably just change something in my lifestyle instead of allocating a few days a week where I restrict myself.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I think it probably fair to say that for those that do spend money on daily basis - having “ no-spend “ days would for sure result in savings.

In fact - if wanting to save money or stretch the monthly budget to make it last longer - having “ no-spend “ days could prove to be extremely beneficial - especially as - if nothing else they would at least - highlight the areas in which unnecessary expenditure could be reigned in.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well it all comes down to free will, so I think if a person really wanted to not spend, then his will is enough to do it, and it doesn't even have to be scheduled. It can be a random decision that can be made whenever they feel like it.

5. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I think this would be helpful in saving money since you are not spending money on that day. If you were to have at least one a week you could save a few bucks. You could even build up to more over the course of a few months to where you were doing an entire week, then two, and then three until you reached doing an entire month without spending. I think that would be easier for me to do then plunging in and doing a whole month. I am not sure if i would make the whole month right off the bat.

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    This is such a great idea. If you cannot do the no-spend month challenge, do at least a few days a week of no-spending. Even just three to four times a week makes a difference. And in time, you can turn that challenge into a month, two months or three months. Of course, don't spend all your earnings on one time. Save those money and invest them in something profitable or a business. Eventually, you would kick the habit of spending on things that are not necessary in life.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have many days that we don't spend anything, actually, more of those than the days that we do spend money on.
    Especially if you do not count necessities like food or basic supplies. We seldom just randomly spend money, and when we do need something, both Bobby and I will research it thoroughly before we buy it and find the best deal at the best price.
    Just today, we went to the hobby supply store because Bobby needed some little hinges for a memorial box that he is making for a friend of ours.
    While we were there, I found a little round loom that makes flowers from yarn. I enjoy doing crafts, and was thinking that I would like to be able to add little flowers onto some of the projects that I make, and the $4.99 was a reasonable price. I had it in my hand, and then I thought ,"I bet it might be cheaper on Amazon", so I put it back. Tonight I will check online and see what I can find and if there is a better deal for the loom.

8. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    It is possible to have a no spend day every week. Personally, it should not pose such a big challenge since I aspire to fast one day per week for religlots reasons. That said and done, no spend days ba turn out to be a pyrrhic victory. One can plan for supplies on the eve of the no spend day. This would offset any savings to be made. Therefore, no spend days should be spontaneous.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You've got me curious as to how many days we go without spending now.. because I'd be really surprised if we don't already go a month or longer. Our entertainment and exercise is free, we buy clothes only as we need them, we buy the kids new tech, but that's certainly not monthly lol. Rent, bills, gas, the usual necessities, food... tons of food lol. We're not spendy people. I'm going to pay attention to how long we go without extras...