No technology for a month??

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by randee555 • Mar 22, 2014.

1. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I know everyone has smartphones, tablets, and computers, that they use on a daily basis. I know I'm constantly on my phone doing something online. It dawned on me, of how much I use some form of technology throughout the day so my question is... Could you go a month without any technology? I honestly know I can't but if I had to or was paid to, I would definitely give it a try.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would find it absolutely blissful. :) I have done it in the past and felt enormously energised. But at the moment technology makes my work a lot easier. Also I have to stay in contact with various people who would get very worried if they didn't hear from me for a month. Until I can have a holiday from everything and everyone again, I take little breaks in between. I switch everything off for at least one day every week. :)

3. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    No, a month is way too long. Using technology has become too much of an integral part of my life. I hardly use my cell phone but I use the internet. I would be very anxious without it. Being connected to the rest of the world is what I've become used to.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    No. Not with my current life. Not at all.

But I have gone longer than a month without it and at the time, it was fine. I spent an entire year working in a wilderness camp for juvenile delinquents. We lived in tents. Though we had a "chuck wagon" with lights and fully cooked meals, on weekends we cooked by fire in our campsite. It was basically upscale camping for a year. I had two days and three nights off a week, and actually, though I watched a little bit of TV, I never really used the computer and didn't own a cell phone.

But it was my life at the time so I was in it, you know? It would be impossible, I think, right now, to just turn off all technology for a month. Too much of my life depends on electronic communication.

5. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    There is NO CHANCE I would ever be a able to go a month without technology. Heck, I probably couldn't even make it for two weeks. I MIGHT be able to go one week without it but I wouldn't like it! haha.

6. apple1989

apple1989Member

Threads:
    Just thinking about that idea makes me ill. A week without any gadget is a torture. So it's a suicide if you go on for a month.

7. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    For a few days yes but a month is just unbearable. However, if I'm paid I it a shot, the pay gotta be good too. Come to think of it, how will you communicate with others? I bet visiting other states on foot isn't just painful but impossible.

8. drewhelton5

drewhelton5New Member

Threads:
    I could never go a month without technology. Being able to pull things up quickly on my phone has become an integral part of my life, especially in my church, if I need to pull up a song or find scripture. I think technology is a great thing that we have been blessed with, but it can become overpowering in our life. It would definitely be something fun to try though, if only to see how long I could last!

9. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    It will not be that hard am sure people will find another addiction. It is just that at the moment we find ourselves addicted to using the internet and technology that we find ourselves slaves to it. I am sure that it will be hard at first but man will always find a way to improvise and get at least something to keep them company.

10. Skroozey

SkroozeyNew Member

Threads:
    Let me just say simply, NO! Haha. It's really sad but technology is as much a part of me as I am of it (nothing sexual for those with dirty minds!). First thing I do in a morning is flip open my iPad and check out the current events of the world, Facebook messages etc. Also I wish to build an online business, which of course needs technology :p

Still I love your idea, sometimes, well all the time I am too connected to technology. I try to give myself breaks but I am too weak to do so. If I say to myself, no internet today, well, that just isn't going to happen! So alas, a world without technology for a brief period of time may be blissful, but I just can't give it up.

11. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I operate in an area without power or cell phone service for 10 days at a time in the summer. I don't miss technology when I am there. Having had my internet go down for two days in the city, I discovered that I am a junkie and wouldn't want to live without it. For me, I use it for work and would be unable to set up my scheduling without if as a lot is done through emails. Were it not for work, however, I could probably go a month without it. If I could spend the entire summer away from it, I would but life tends to get in the way.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Honestly? As long as I could read books I could live just fine without technology for a month. Sure it wouldn't be easy, but if on this month I could go to the beach, a farm, somewhere where there was animals and tranquility, I would be ok with no technology!

13. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is quite sad that most people could not go a month without technology. I mean come on, its only four weeks. I agree it would be tranquil and I miss the old form of communication where people actually had to leave the house. I for one would enjoy it. It wasn't all that long ago these things were sparse and not even in existence, those days seem to have been forgotten.

14. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty sure I could last for a month without all my beloved tech :) I already do this, but for a shorter time, two weeks to be more precise. And let me tell you, I read a lot! I find leaving all the technology behind soothing and I return home more energetic and ready to enjoy my 'toys' with greater interest. We don't realize this but sitting daily in front of our laptops or smartphones dulls our enjoyment of technology. Aaaand, as bonus, think of all the money you save on energy :p

15. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I tried it once, when my girl broke up with me. No phones, no internet, not nothing. But that was back in the days where I was still in high school, but today that I have contacts for jobs and all other stuff, that would be very hard. I mean, people nowadays are hard wired with technology, I mean, I get wake up calls from my nephews telling me to turn on the Wi-Fi. But If one day I settled down, I would love to try it, just to tune out of the world, live and see life without a monitor.

16. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    Almost for 2 weeks every year, me and my friends go to a remote island which has no electricity or water and stay there to relax and get away from all the modern society's troubles. We carry our own water barrels that can last for this period of time and take only the necessary food that does not rot away. I can say that these two weeks are a battery charger for the rest of the year!