No tiny laptops anymore?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by mistymi • Apr 2, 2014.

1. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I was looking for a small laptop but all the ones that are like under 10 inches in screen size seem to be replaced by tablets. I remember when the Asus EEE PC was popular and there were a lot more small laptops being made. Does a Windows 8 tablet run everything the desktop version can run?

2. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Im not sure I have an acer which is a small laptop but they call the netbooks now, I love this laptop but the only problem is that it does not have alot of memory on it. But I use a flash drive to carry all my documents with me. But they are so much more convenient to carry than a big laptop.

3. blackbagel

blackbagelMember

Threads:
    I think that they are called netbooks and just miniature laptops. They don't pack much of the power of a regular sized one but it good for things like surfing the net or watching a video somewhere else. I don't seee many of them now because the tablet that can also have a keyboard attached with bluetooth seem to take up that niche. A windows 8 tablet probably can't run everything that a laptop can like some programs but things like typing and surfing the Internet will work. I would say to get an ultrabook if you have the money since they are powerful and can run everything as ease plus are very thin and easy to carry around.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    They still exist, but they were never that common anyway so there is usually only 2 on sale at my local PC store. Tablets are aplenty though so I wouldn't be surprised if they are phased out entirely within a few years which is a shame because I despise tablets. All I can say is get one while you still can.

#4Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  5. canoe

canoeMember

Threads:
    Yeah I don't think they're selling those anymore. Netbooks used to be a thing for a while until we realized we could just get better performance from an ultrabook. I think the best you'll be able to do is with an 11 inch these days. There are rumors that apple is going to converge the 11 and 13 inch airs into just a single 12 inch model. For sure, I think the trend is toward a screen size smaller than 15 inches these days but that doesn't mean we'll go below 10 inches imo.

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OP, maybe you only looked at one shop. Search other shops as well. When I go to the local mall, I see a lot of laptops of various sizes being displayed on display cabinets. My family has actually two "small laptops". One is an Eee PC called a netbook and one is an HP Pavilion Notebook. Small laptops are the norm here in my place because it's very easy to carry around. I love small laptops. I'll take it over huge laptops any single day.

7. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    Tiny computers are sparingly produced. They are now called Netbooks.

However. They a quickly becoming extinct. With the increasing popularity of "Chromebooks". Developers see little need to continue producing Netbooks if they are not going to sell. The Chromebook is considered a form of Netbook. However it is not very tiny. It is 11 inches. That is the size of a lot of standard Laptops.

If you want a more traditional tiny computer you are going to have to buy it used, because they do not make them like that anymore. I would suggest you search eBay, and Amazon. You are sure to find what you are looking for.

8. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think a lot of the the tiny laptops were really limited when it came to performance. I think that people were facing challenges in getting the thing to run on just a regular net basis and so they were not getting great reviews and so i would say that it would be better to just get a tablet or a big laptop.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Small laptops. Well, tablets, hell even phones can do what these 'small laptops' can do nowadays. Building a 'small laptop' cost's much more than that of tablets since netbooks require more hardware components where in tablets not as much. Also, tablets are much more cheaper that netbooks, but tablets can't really do what all desktops can, I mean, for devices that small, it has to have its limits.

10. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    If your problem is having Windows 8 on desktop, then be sure that it works well do not worry about it. It is just the same thing and even the experience on both devices will differ a little. This is because Windows 8 is more meant for touch devices than desktops and laptops.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you tried looking around the net for a small laptop? I'm sure you'll find that there are some sellers online who've still have them. The only problem is would you be willing to trust some seller on ebay, best buy or any other similar site?

12. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    You can still buy small laptops or "netbooks", but they're nowhere near as common as they were 6 or 7 years ago. If a new one isn't touch enabled, it would probably be pretty bad with windows 8. No matter how many "desktop friendly" improvements microsoft makes, as long as they keep the start screen, it will favor touch. Another alternative would be to buy a tablet and get a keyboard stand for it.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes small laptops seem to have disappeared, tablets for sure took their place! My ASUS is 11.6 inches and it's one of the smallest ones out there available I believe. If it's still available, that is. I think the smaller ones are called netbooks, right? I'm pretty sure you can find some at Amazon, Best Buy and larger stores, but tablets are more common indeed.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon has a few small netbooks under 10 inches but if you look at the specs, they have the same specs as a 7 inch tablet, so you might as well just get a 7 inch tablet with a little USB keyboard. It's basically the same thing.

15. thephantom638

thephantom638New Member

Threads:
    The main problem with netbooks that contributes to the low purchase levels is the lack in processing power. Netbooks, because of their miniature form factor tend to lack very much in terms of speed, often lacking a discrete or even "good" integrated graphics card, thereby making it very unattractive to gamers and people who require relatively fast PCs, who make up the bulk of the PC market.

16. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Like you said, they have mostly been replaced by tablets, which are usually cheaper and have even more functionality. I bought a netbook a few years ago and it really is only good enough for surfing the web and maybe writing up a document, but if even slows down when watching a Youtube video, I have to let it load all the way first and even then it's not as fluid as on my desktop.
    If I had gotten a tablet, it would be a more mobile solution and I could even have a few games on there.

17. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I know one person who told me they wanted one of those really small computers. I haven't heard much about it otherwise. It just has no use to me. If I wanted to get a good computer that's only maybe 10" then I would get the Surface Pro because I know that I'm getting good quality and that the OS was made specifically for a computer that size. Running Windows, Linux, or any OS for that matter on a 10.1" laptop just seems like the most annoying thing to me. When it comes to laptops I need at least a 15" screen.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Netbooks did seem to decline in popularity after its short stint in the limelight. I think it will always continue to be offered, though, since I don't think tablets can completely replace them besides maybe the Windows Surface since that still operates partly like a laptop. My reasoning behind it is that I think some programs just can't be replaced by apps - particularly, photo/video/sound editing, although that may only be a temporary case, but it might maintain its place in the laptop market since I doubt that people in the tablet market aim to work on something that detailed or as seriously on their tablets.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    One of the big problems I had with "netbooks" when they were a thing a few years ago, was that the screens on them were often very cheap as well, and as a result, very low resolution. To give you a comparison, most smartphones on the market these days have a higher resolution than any of the netbooks ever had. some 640px wide screen just won't cut it these days, even when it comes to browsing the web - but especially when trying to get work done in something such as Office. Plus the dropping costs of computers in general, made it possible to sell "ultrabooks" in the price range that netbooks once sold for. So the lesser expensive netbooks quickly became dirt cheap and useless. It's really just a bunch of wordplay, but for a brief period of time, "ultrabooks" were essentially the same size as netbooks, but had better specs and a higher resolution screen - all at a higher price.