Nokia? Are they back?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by MegaZero • Dec 4, 2013.

1. MegaZero

MegaZeroNew Member

Threads:
    The Lumia has been released and honestly, it is SUCH A GREAT PHONE! It is REALLY affordable for someone who wants a decent smartphone and the camera is superb for its price.

So, are they back? Will they be just as good as Apple and Samsung? Or will they just stay the same.

Thoughts please!

2. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I was playing with this phone in the shop yesterday and I also quite liked it.

I don't think they are going to be comparable to Apple or Samsung anytime soon; they need a few years to rebuild their position with some good releases first.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I hope so. I prefer their design the most, and I'd love for them to become successful and gain some support from developers. I think they are making their way up slowly but surely, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nokia and Windows Mobile become major players, or at least close to it, in the next 2 years.

4. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think Nokia will ever live up to apple or Samsung honestly. Nokia has always kind of been at the bottom when it comes to phones and to be honest I don't see that changing anytime soon.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Is that the one with the 43mp camera on it? I was at the Nokia site a few days ago and noticed they had some sample RAW files you could download that were shot with it and I was really impressed with the quality of the images shot with such a tiny lens. I've been sort of warming up to the idea of possibly switching to a Windows phone, at least to try it out for a couple of years. The one thing that is getting old real quick with Android devices is that the manufacturers are just abandoning them after 3-4 months, and never work to get the latest versions of Android out to their previous customers. They are just forcing us to keep buying new phones every year - year and a half, which sucks. I should get at least two solid years worth of use out of a phone before I junk it.

I was looking at some of the Nokia devices back in like January, and was a little leary of the build quality of the phones - they looked much better in the photos online than they did in the store. In particular the screens looked dim and the casing on it looked sort of cheaply manufactured. I've been meaning to get back out to the stores to take a look at these new models though because they look much nicer.

Plus Windows Phone is a much more tightly controlled environment, so you know the hardware wont cause the OS to slow down.

6. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I used to love my Nokia's. So, they are back? I haven't heard of them for some time.

I'm looking at the Nokia Lumia now... It looks sweet!!! I'd definitely buy one. But I have to say, they could never be as good as Apple. But for the price, they are just as good in my eyes. ;D

7. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I remember Nokia was my first mobile phone ever. I like their mobile phone designs because they are way different from other mobile phone companies such as Apple and HTC. I don't know if Nokia is back because it's acquired by Microsoft, which I would assume that Microsoft will release phones under the name Lumia. Also, I believe Nokia used to think about releasing Android OS, which I have heard about the news a few weeks ago. I don't know if it's true since it's already been acquired, but I think Microsoft is going to release more Lumia phones for years to come.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We can't just dismiss them because they've not been that competitive in the past. If we take a look at Google which now dominates the tech industry. Where were they ten years ago? Still working their way up, right? Nokia, if they have the will to assert themselves as great phone-makers can achieve their goal just if they stick to that long enough.

9. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    They use to be the biggest..

Maybe you mean in the smartphone era? In which you would be correct.

They are slowly starting to find their feet again, that's for sure. But to say they don't stand a chance is a big statement.

10. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    I've seen some Nokia phones taking up a good share of the market and their specifications are really just as good as any other phone. Speaking as a computer scientist who uses the phone for development, it is actually ahead of Apple's products and on par with Samsung's, it's camera is better than pretty much all of them and their design, at least in my opinion, is pretty slick. For the prices they're at, take it from an insider: Nokia has some of the best phones on the market.