Non-stick pan

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Peninha • Dec 1, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a small non-stick pan for over 15 years now and it's amazing, as good as new. I have a larger one that it's not so good, especially when making eggs they do stick a lot. I think we should invest in good ones because they last way longer. What do you say about this?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't understand why anyone would not want a non-stick pan! I love them, but things can still get stuck if they get burnt, but they are easier to clean. I visited my parents who use pans without non-stick and it takes forever to clean them and also you have to watch the pan and stir all the time.

As long as you look after them and don't use a scourer or metal spatulas, you will be fine and they won't scratch.

3. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The problem I've found with non stick pans that they generally don't last long. The other problem is that they can't handle high heats to a certain degree. Seriously, look at the package that it came in and I can almost guarantee you that it will say that there is a heat limit. I've grown to have a big disdain for non stick pains in the past few years. Now, I am slowly but surely moving all my hardware to stainless steel and cast iron.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you. Even though kitchenwares tend to be expensive more often than not, I would rather buy them than the cheap ones sold in other places. Replacing and buying new ones every now and then tend to be harsh on the pocket if you will think about it.

5. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, always invest a little more for the expensive stuff, because they are better in efficiency, durability, and effectiveness. I used to buy cheap non-stick pots and pans, and those lasted like one and half months before the Teflon started coming off and eventually becoming less effective against the stickiness of foods. I like iron cast pans too, but sometimes I forget to oil them after a long period of not using the pan and it starts to rust out on me - however, they're almost as good as non-stick material pans, and last longer too if taken care of properly.

6. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I personally use non-stick pans because of their convenience, but like what the rest have said, they have only lasted me for a maximum of 5 years before the Teflon coating starts coming off, and they last this long only with almost perfect usage! That means no metallic spatulas, no metal spoons or a fork for checking if meats are done for fear of poking it right through onto the pan surface, no scrubbing of the pan with overly abrasive sponges and not overheating the pan unnecessarily. I can understand why some would prefer the traditional type, which will not stick provided loads of grease is present and you continually flip your food around. Non-stick pans tend to give off an acrid smell when they are heated up with no food or oil in it, and one can only wonder what "good" it does to our health! But for convenience sake, I doubt I'll turn away from Teflon anytime soon.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I also think it's much better to just invest in good nonstick pans when possible. We have one that we've been using for nearly a decade now as well and it still works great. The only thing I worry about is that the coating has been coming off in the recent years and I wonder if it's getting in our food. Overall though it's pretty handy for cooking sticky food like eggs and cheese.

8. lemony

lemonyMember

Threads:
    I love non-stick pans. I can cook almost anything on them, and clean them easily afterwards.

When using them, I make sure to use a bit of oil so as to help cook the food faster. The oil gets heated up first and once it spreads on the pan, the food just comes right after. This procedure also avoids setting the stove to its maximum heating capacity so as to lengthen the usage of my non-stick pan. I also make sure to use non-stick-friendly cookware, and I do invest in good brands. In my experience, it is always better to spend money on a good product that would last years rather than buy a new replacement every year or so.

Right now, I am looking for a smaller non-stick pan, one that would allow me to cook a maximum of about three eggs for breakfast. Groceries in the metro usually have a sale on cookware during Christmas, and I would definitely love to buy one on a discounted price.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Honestly, it's the truth and also the secret to real savings. Even if the quality ones are expensive, they are still worth their price. Because if you buy the ones that are cheap but of low quality, you'd just end up buying them frequently because they wear out shortly unlike with the quality but expensive ones. But bear in mind that not all quality ones are expensive. There are ones out there that are really durable, yet affordable. It just takes some kind of hard work to find them.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pretty much 003 and that is what we need to keep in mind, sometimes an investment in a good quality pan is actually a big saving because that will last for more years, not to mention the products we actually save that are not stuck to the pan and we actually manage to eat. :)

11. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Non stick pan depends purely on its quality. But most of the time non stick pan contains lots of chemicals that are not really good for you. I believe it is not worth using it as it is harmful for health. I hope never to use it.