Non-toxic ways to get rid of fleas and creepy crawlies!

Discussion in Home & Garden started by MizzDeeDee • Sep 26, 2013.

1. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    Recently, I found myself in a situation where I was infested with fleas. Not terribly surprising since I have three cats and two dogs, but annoying regardless. The problem was how quick it happened and how to get it under control.

It literally took a week or so and we were infested. I'd never seen anything like it before. Getting it under control was an issue because not only do I have a two year old, but I have animals that I can't just put outdoors, namely the cats. I couldn't use a bomb and I didn't want to give my pets toxic chemicals.

My father was speaking to me about the problem and he suggested trying Diatomaceous Earth. When he was in Vietnam, they used it to clean out the water supply from the river. He told me it was well known that it could be used to kill fleas, ticks, spiders, and silverfish. We eat it anyway, because it's literally put into our food supply. So, I decided to give it a try.

What a difference this stuff makes! It's messy, but it really does kill insects. Since it's food grade, it's not toxic. You could literally just stuff handfuls of this powder in your mouth and it wouldn't hurt you. That was a huge selling point for me.

I just wanted to share how great this stuff is. I even read that if you eat it or have your animals eat it, that it will kill internal parasites. Just make sure to get the food grade version, obviously.

2. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I tried so much for an ant infestation. Cornmeal eventually kills the hive (they cant digest it) and an odd one, I tried everything to keep them out. Then used simple pepper where they were sneaking in...stopped them in their tracks.

3. Steverd

SteverdMember

Threads:
    It all depends on what you want to get rid of. Diatomaceous Earth works on my crawling insects, but don't let it get wet.
    Soap and water works very well on soft body insects. Neem oils works great on many insects. Also we use traps in out greenhouse.
    Yellow and blue sticky traps for gnats and thrips. Soda bottle traps for snails and earwigs.

4. steisehodgson

steisehodgsonMember

Threads:
    Here are some natural, non-toxic ways to control fleas in your home:

Fleas usually gain entry to your home through your pet or visitors' pets. For every flea on your pet, there may be as many as 30 more in the pet's environment.
    Before reaching for pesticides, try these safer choices:

Bathe and comb your pet regularly. Use mild soap, not insecticides. If fleas are found on the comb, dip the comb in a glass of soapy water.

Citrus is a natural flea deterrent. Pour a cup of boiling water over a sliced lemon. Include the lemon skin, scored to release more citrus oil. Let this mixture soak overnight, and sponge on your dog to kill fleas instantly. Do not use citrus oil on cats.

Add brewer's yeast and garlic, or apple cider vinegar, to your pets' food. However, it is not advisable to use raw garlic as a food supplement for cats.

Cedar shampoo, cedar oil and cedar-filled sleeping mats are commercially available. Cedar repels many insects including fleas.

Fleas in the carpet? The carpet should be thoroughly vacuumed especially in low traffic areas, under furniture, etc. Put flea powder in the vacuum cleaner bag to kill any fleas that you vacuum up, and put the bag in an outdoor garbage bin.

Trap fleas in your home using a wide, shallow pan half-filled with soapy water. Place it on the floor and shine a lamp over the water. Fleas will jump to the heat of the lamp and land in the water. The detergent breaks the surface tension, preventing the flea from bouncing out.

In the yard or garden, plant fleabane (Fleabane Daisy Erigeron speciosus) to repel fleas. This is an annual growing 16-24" tall with violet, daisy like flowers.

Nontoxic flea traps are available commercially. These traps are inexpensive and very effective.

For long-term nontoxic control of fleas, sprinkle diatomaceous earth where fleas may occur. You can also rub diatomaceous earth into the fur of your cat or dog.

5. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    This is all good to know, more and more I'm looking for ways to go green because the over the counter stuff is so toxic that I can't deal with it anymore. Question though, were the pets on flea meds?

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If you've got a flea infestation, they will lay eggs in your place, and it will continue to get worse. I had a flea problem years ago, and tried the detergent method, but eventually had to bug bomb the place. It might seem like they are gone, but the eggs they laid will hatch about a week or two later, and it will start all over again. If I recall, I had to bug bomb the place twice, the first time, then a follow up one two weeks later to get any hatching ones. It worked, but it was really hard to breathe in my place while I was airing it out. That stuff is insanely strong.