North Carolina To Oregon

Discussion in Travel started by Brentnauer • Mar 17, 2015.

1. Brentnauer

BrentnauerNew Member

Threads:
    We're taking a trip soon, flying from Charlotte NC up to Portland OR. Does anyone have any travel tips on how to save a little money by preparing for certain things? It'll be me, my wife and my 10 month old daughter :D

We'll obviously bring our own snacks and stuff, but I'm looking for outside-the-box stuff that most people don't think about.

Thanks!

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not travel a lot; but when I do, I always like to take along some protein bars. The snacks they give you on the airplane are just not much, and even if they serve what is supposed to be a meal, it is usually not much food.
    There are a good variety of protein bars, so you can easily pick some that you and your family will enjoy, and they provide not only a tasty snack, but one that is healthy for you as well.
    Even after you arrive, if it is late and you want a snack before going to bed, the food bars are perfect. And because they are carefully wrapped, they are clean and easy to carry along.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    There are all these free things to see like 'worlds largest...' in every state you go to. Its fun to take your time and really see those things that states have to offer that are free. Here's the site:

Some say if you drive behind a big truck you are in their air stream and your car doesn't burn as much gas. I don't know if this is true but I've done it before just in case it was. Have fun!

4. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    What are going to do in Portland if I may ask? If you're a tourist (there are tourist spots in Portland?) you might want to look for cheaper accomodations on the internet.

If you want some authentic local advice, ask around here:

5. Brentnauer

BrentnauerNew Member

Threads:
    I grew up there - Taking the wife and kid out to visit my mom and see the sights! We're going to hit up all the cool attractions:
    • OMSI
    • The zoo
    • Gustav's and/or the Rheinlander (fondue is AMAZING)
    • Saturday Market
    • Seaside
    • Haystack Rock
    • Tillamook Cheese Factory
    • Burgerville
    I love, LOVE Portland - I'm already a subscriber to that subreddit and I'm looking for any excuse to get the wife excited about finding a way to move back out there.

6. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I just bring some essentials like snack, high protein bar, and an empty bottle to get some water after passing through check point at the air port. We are a family of water drinker, so it is a must to have an empty container of some types!

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That sounds like a totally awesome trip ! When you go to the Tillamook Cheese Factory (yummy ! ), you might want to go north to Seaside, which is a perfect little seaside town, and then on up to Astoria, which is one of my favorite places in the whole world.
    I can't remember exactly where it is; but there is also a historic old lighthouse that you can visit on the drive north, and I am thinking that it is between Seaside and Astoria.
    Astoria is where the movie "Short Circuit" was filmed, and it has an old-fashioned charm to the city.
    There is also a kind of tower/monument called the Astoria Columnn, it has engravings on the side, and you can climb up to the overlook at the top, and see out into the ocean looking west, and also see the rivers coming into the ocean at Astoria. Be sure to take your camera along ! !