Odd or Unique Food Products

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Aug 11, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been wanting to check out and experiment with a few odd food products lately and seeing as I have some relatives who will be coming home from different countries soon I thought I'd ask our members here for some suggestions on what I could ask for them to bring home. I don't mind whatever country it is from, I'm sure i will be able to find a way to get them somehow and if not, it will at least be entertaining to see them posted here. I'll start, here are some of the weird food items I've come across so far.

Canned hamburger

canned-hamburger.

Push pop sushi

Sushi-Popper-copy.

Squeeze bacon. This one is made mostly as a joke gift, I think. From what I understand it is made of frosting and it probably tastes sweet.

squeezbacon.

#1Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think these types of foods tend to be novelty items. I'd like to try them if I got the chance, but I'm not going to make that canned cheeseburger a staple of my storage food for stocking up on or camping with either, ha.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually loved the Pringles Kickin' Chicken Taco chips, so if you can find those you should get them. Somehow the flavor scientists at Pringles managed to recreate the taste of chicken tacos in chip form. I can almost taste the meat.
    I think it's pretty unique that Jack Link's now makes a romantic heart shaped box of beef jerky for Valentine's Day that is being sold in Walmart right next to the chocolate.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I thought that Japanese had a strange food called shiokara fish parts like fermented viscera, salt, malted rice, 220px-Ika_no_shiokara. this is cuttlefish shiokara.
    From

"Shiokara(塩辛

) is a food in

made from various

that consists of small pieces of meat in a brown viscous paste of the animal's heavily

. The raw viscera are mixed with about 10% salt, 30%

, packed in a closed container, and fermented for up to a month.Shiokara is sold in glass or plastic containers...." There are several different kinds of shiokara that I won't mention for I don't thinks anyone is interested in it. Going on here is another odd food called nato or fermented soy beans.
    220px-Natto_boxed. Natto usually comes in these foam containers frozen. We eat it for it's very nutritious. This also is from another wikipedia.org article

. Dr.Weil you've seen on Dr. Oz has a little

about it. But wait I found 2 other odd foods from Asia. One is bird nest soup made from real bird nest of their saliva. From the site:

BirdsNestSoup. . This is not the worst of it in Cambodia they eat tarantulas fried crisp also for the same site.
    FriedSpiders. Well I eat fermented soy beans, so I won't judge. LOL!:p

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If you've not watched Chopped regularly on Food Network, they have featured all sorts of bizarre and gross ingredients such as Chicken In A Can, which is a whole chicken in a can packed in gelatinous slime. That's not even the worst of them though, most recently they featured a pigs rectum as one of the ingredients. One of the hosts even boasted how he had just eaten goat rectum on a recent trip he was on.

I could never personally eat bugs, though it's estimated people on average each year eat a pound, yes a pound, of bugs without even knowing it. Many of the FDA's guidelines on food safety have an allowable amount of bugs which are permissible in various foods such as processed foods. Maggots in canned fruit, fruit flies in your OJ, etc...

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It may not be an odd or unique food but the packaging intrigues me. It is cheese spread (the soft cheese) that is in a tube like a toothpaste. One time I was invited to a snack of freshly-baked bread with that tube of cheese. I lost my appetite when I saw the tube being pressed just like toothpaste and the liquid cheese was being applied on the bread. I ate the bread without the cheese.