Ode to my Gordon Ramsay Slow Cooker

Discussion in Product Reviews started by thousandtrees • Nov 11, 2012.

1. thousandtrees

thousandtreesNew Member

Threads:
    I got a Gordon Ramsay Cooks Digital Slow Cooker at the Bay, 50% off a few weeks back and I love this thing almost beyond measure. It's amazing for frugal foods like curry, stew, soup, spaghetti sauce and so on, but it's also efficient and easy to clean. If you can get a decent on on sale, there are few better ways to stock your freezer for winter than with stick-to-your-ribs stew, spicy madras and hearty chili than to spend some quality time with a slow cooker. I love that nothing sticks to the sides of this one.

Here's an average cost breakdown of one of my favourites, curry pork stew

Stewing pork - $6
    2 large potatoes - $3
    2 carrots - $1
    3 cups of chicken broth - pennies, if you make your own (and you should, it's cheap and easy!)
    1 brown onion - 75 cents
    Spices - ~ 5 cents (and that's overstating it, since I get a lot of them at the Dollarama)

Approximate cost: $10.80
    Serves: 6
    Cost per meal: $1.80 per serving

I make this on a Sunday and take it to work for lunches all week. Don't pay full price to eat out or have some crappy microwave meal when 30 minutes of chopping and a day's worth of patience will get you something tastier, cheaper and healthier! This is one appliance that pays for itself.

2. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I had never heard of a Gordon Ramsey slow cooker! I am wondering how it compares to other slow cookers on the market. You have piqued my interest to go look at one. I love the one I have, but it's just a basic one.

3. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    I am in the market for a new slow cooker. Thank you for sharing this review. I did not know that he had a line like that out for them. I will have to seriously check them out. I would love it if I found one that the food did not stick to the sides as you said! Fabulous!

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that Gordon Ramsey was making cooking products. I'm sure if it is going to have his name on it, it better be really good! I am not currently in the market for a slow cooker but I am interested to find out what other products he may be endorsing. In the winter months, I use the heck out of my slow cooker so will have to give your curry pork stew a try sometime. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

5. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like making stews because they are easy to prepare and usually quite cheap. Throw in a few vegetables, meat, seasonings and you have a delicious, frugal and nutritious meal.

I would usually avoid the celebrity chef branded products but it's a good deal at 50% off.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, Gordon Ramsay has a line of kitchen appliances too, so does Sandra Lee now as well. I think they sell them at Kmart. I wasn't blown away by the quality of them to be honest, but then again a slow cooker is a slow cooker - they're pretty straightforward appliances.

I love cooking with the slow cooker though too. Some of my favorite things to make in it are Chicken Cacciatore and Italian Beef. For the Chicken Cacciatore I just throw in some boneless skinless chicken breasts along with a jar of sauce, some red wine, mushrooms, red and green peppers, italian seasonings and some crushed red pepper (along with salt and pepper to taste of course). I usually serve it over some egg noodles. The Italian Beef is even easier, just a beef roast with some beef broth and a packet or two of Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix. It's fantastic in sandwiches on a hard roll with a mufalletta olive salad spread, or with some horseradish sauce and lettuce.

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I was wondering about this, if it was really worthwhile, so you think so if you can get it on sale, then? I'll still look into more, I could use a good slow cooker :).

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a good slow cooker that has a timer on it so you can set how long you want your food to cook. I like to cook soup and beans in my slow cooker.

I didn't Ramsey had a line of appliances, Sandra Lee either but I do like her way of cooking. A little fresh, a little already prepared to create something outstanding.

9. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most 'celebrity chefs' have their own cookware lines, most of it is the same old crap with a celebrity name on it. The same applies to the celebrity chef branded food. Marco Pierre White branded stock cubes are a good example of that.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love the title of this thread. I didn't know that Gordon Ramsey had branded kitchen appliances. I love slow cookers. I have one and couldn't live without it.

Some of the chef branded cookware if great. I would love to buy Emeril's branded stainless steel cookware. It's so well made, but currently out of my budget. :(