Offering Service As A Gift?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Denis Hard • Jan 9, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you don't want to spend any money buying gifts or don't have the money you offering service could be as good as any other pricey gift. You could offer to do something for your neighbor, friends or relative. It could be mowing their lawn, walking their dog or helping them with a Diy upgrade, etc.

If you have never tried offering someone service as a gift, would you consider it if you [have enough free time] and want to save some money?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I personally think its a wonderful idea - in fact so much so - that its something that I do all the time - meaning not just for special occasions or holidays - but all year round - not to save money but because I've found - especially among the elderly or infirm - that more often than not - its the gifts that cost virtually nothing other than a little of your time - that are generally the most appreciated and welcome of all.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think this is a great idea. It would probably only work if you don't offer those services on a regular basis though. For example, I babysit for my siblings a lot so if I were to offer them as gifts during holidays I have a feeling it might seem a bit off. However, you are right in that if it was something more rare then it would probably be just as good as receiving any other material item because even just one day off for even just one task is already a lot for adults who constantly have to do tiring duties.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a good idea, cooking their favorite food comes to mind, although you will still spend some money for the ingredients. I don't know how to cook, but the idea of offering a service is quite a good route to take if you want to save some money.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This idea reminds me of the law of exchange. It will still work if you offer a service as a gift, instead of money, or something homemade, or something purchased. I guess it depends upon what you have to offer in the way of services, and if the person trusts you enough to let you perform the service, depending on what kind of service you are offering. I'd be useless offering DIY services lol.

6. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think 'coupon books' are a fun idea. You make your own book of 'services' for a friend, spouse, etc. And then they can use them as they like. So you could have things like free car wash, 10 minute back massage, or weeks worth of dish washing in there. It is a fun way to do something for someone else and also let them be in control of when they would best need to put your services to use. I wish someone would give me one of these coupon books one day!

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have my kids make my husband a IOU book of tickets for Father's Day. It can range from mowing the lawn, cooking his favourite breakfast, hugs, kisses, shoveling snow, making him popcorn. It's really the thought that counts. My husband makes an effort to cash in on the IOU's. The kids love it and it's something fun for the whole family. My kids have made the IOU tickets for their grandmother too. It's a nice way to show you care as the tickets are personalized.

8. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, this is a great Idea. If you believe you are reasonably good at it, why not surprise you love one with a wonderful soothing body massage and foot scrub along with the appropriate settings which would have been present in a professional set-up. I believe something like this would be greatly appreciated.

9. Kenya Swan

Kenya SwanMember

Threads:
    I love the idea of providing a service as a gift. I know everyone could benefit from some type of service. I like to offer my friends babysitting service. Most of my friends including myself have small children at home. It really helps to have dependable friends that can babysit for you.

10. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's a good idea and something that everyone can do. I think it does depend on what you can offer people and what you do for them already though. Like I regularly look after my friend's children for him, so offering to do that for him would seem a bit odd as I do it anyway. Offering to cook him a meal on the other hand is something he'd probably appreciate because his children suffer from food allergies meaning he doesn't always get to eat the food he'd like to eat the most in order to keep them safe. I think as long as you think about what you're offering someone it can be a really meaningful gift!

@H.C. Heartland@H.C. Heartland @purplepen88@purplepen88 I used to make something like that when I was a child. I used to write things like "do the dishes", "dusting", "vacuuming," and other household chores that I didn't do as part of my regular chores, along with things like hugs, kisses or making drinks in a book and give those to my parents for days like Mother's Day or Father's Day. I think it seems more heartfelt coming from the kids!

11. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is a great idea and there are so many potential services that could be offered. Of course, the services you offer would depend upon your skill set or your amount of free time. You could offer such things as babysitting so parents can get a small break from their child/children. This could be a huge gift for a new mom, especially if she has other children too. Cooking for someone would be another great gift to give someone. You could even prep a few easy meals that can be frozen and thrown in the crock pot or reheated easily. I personally love the idea of receiving a service versus a purchased gift.

12. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is a great way to provide gifts to other people. My MIL usually offers her cooking expertise whenever her brother's wife has a party. She cooks the foods for the party. She is a great cook and I must admit to liking her meals. She can also bake some pastries and breads as well. So she's offering a service that she's good at.

On the other hand, my uncle usually offers to drive for us whenever we have to go somewhere far. My husband can drive and he's a good driver but sometimes, he is so tired from school that he just wants to relax in the car ride. So this service certainly helps us to have that relaxation we want in road trips.