Oil And Water Maintenance: How Do You Save In The Long Run?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Colebra • Nov 4, 2015.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    What kind of oil do you use in your car?
    I know it depends on the car itself, but any tips on what I should use to keep my car healthier in the long run?

What about water?
    Do you use simple water, water mixed with antifreeze or whatever, distilled water?

Thanks for sharing!
    Any other tip you might think of will be greatly appreciated :)

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Generally speaking - the best advice on which oil to use - is to always go by the manufacturer's recommendation and use only what is specified in the owner's manual - particularly as using the wrong oil - will not only make a noticeable difference to engine power and fuel economy - but more importantly reduce the life of the engine - as well as - if the vehicle is still under warranty - possibly invalidate the warranty altogether.

With regard to water - although the percentages can differ in extreme conditions - as a vehicle’s cooling system is designed to run on a blend of water and antifreeze - often referred to as coolant - in order to keep it from freezing on a cold day or boiling on a hot one - the norm is usually considered to be a 50/50 ratio of each - in fact the only time you would ever use plain water - would be if it was an emergency and nothing else was available.

3. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    That's long gone since I drive a used car.
    But I'm sure I'll be able to find that information somewhere around the internet...

What about draining the whole thing?
    When is it ok to just add more oil, and when should you have someone drain, clean the whole thing, and then add all new oil to it?

Seems like a dumb question, but antifreeze is the solution for both cooling the engine and not letting it get too hot, correct?

Sweet answer!

Thanks a lot Gata. Nice cat by the way :)

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have 2 cars that we bought in 2013. The Ford Escape is due for maintenance every 3 months, the dealer would always remind us. But the Mitsubishi Mirage is due for maintenance every 5,000 kilometers of use that sometimes go beyond 6 months. You can see the big difference in maintenance cost of the 2 cars. Now we are planning to swap the Ford with another Mitsubishi car in order to save on maintenance cost.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes for sure - in fact if you go to the manufacturer’s website - you can generally download a free copy of owner manuals for every model of vehicle they manufacture.

How often you need to change the engine oil - will - as no one vehicle or even model is alike in this respect - once again be indicated in the owner's manual - usually found in the recommended service interval section - it is however a good idea to check the oil level on a regular basis - which is easily done by checking the level on the dip stick and so long as the level remains somewhere between the middle of the min and max mark - all is fine.

Not quite - the antifreeze alone will not stop the engine from boiling - nor will the coolant mixture - if there is a problem with the cooling system or engine.

My pleasure and thank you - yes he is and as you can see extremely cheeky too :)

6. Cash In Hand

Cash In HandMember

Threads:
    Pennzoil synthetic. It's made for high mileage engines.

Keep maintaining the vehicle according to the recommended maintenance schedule for you make and model of vehicle.

I use a 50/50 mix.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm due for an oil change, even though I don't drive it much. Because of that, I added a little oil a while back, when I checked and it needed a quart. I always try to keep a little oil and coolant on hand, just in case. That's usually a good idea with an older vehicle, because you never know what's going to happen, and sometimes convenience stores and gas stations (and even some larger stores) won't have the type/brand you need on hand if an emergency arises on the road. I'll be getting an oil change probably over the next few months, and will use discount coupons for the service. You can try doing an internet search for local places that do automobile maintenance, and see if they offer coupons. Usually they will, if you sign up for emails from them.