Oil Misto

Discussion in Product Reviews started by pvarble1 • Dec 30, 2013.

1. pvarble1

pvarble1New Member

Threads:
    Has anyone had success or trouble with the Misto oil sprayer. I bought my first last year. It seemed to work okay until the little screen flap torn and the spray is a stream. Purchased my second one and it seems I have to pump forever just to barely get a mist before I have to pump another 100 times to spray. At $10 each I'm not willing to buy a 3rd so I'll live with it. Just frustrating as I love to use my own oil without the chemicals of the "pam" sprays on the shelves.

2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Aww, man. I just ordered one from Amazon. I hope I don't have the same difficulties. I ended up purchasing it because I noticed I was wasting waaay too much olive oil when I was cooking and I wanted to get the spray so I could use less. I'll come back when it gets here and keep you updated.

3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    UPDATE: I got mine in the mail right after I posted this. Hilarious.

Okay, as far as having to pump a bunch of times: No. I did not experience this.
    Are you sure you don't just have a faulty sprayer?
    I made sure to fill mine with everything under the sun and try it. Water worked fine. Although I really only did that to clean it out first. Lemon/Lime juice worked great. Red wine vinegar worked great. Olive oil worked great. I found that if I pumped 4-5 times and sprayed at a 45 degree angle it was perfect.

4. Meowmie

MeowmieMember

Threads:
    I have been using this for ages for olive oil, and it's a love/hate relationship. First off, you have to be very careful not to fill it past the line, or pump it too many times or it will break.

The mist is so-so. It is easier than oiling a pan with a paper towel, but the spray, while decent, is nothing like what you would get out of a can of Pam.

It has been a year or more since I refilled my last Oil Misto. After awhile the oil starts to create a film and the spray becomes even less fine. I tried spraying boiling soaping water through it with some success at cleaning it but each time the mist becomes less fine, and I end up buying a new one every 2 to 3 years.

About a year ago I got some silicone basting brushes. Now I just pour a dab of oil in the pan I want to spray, and use the brushes to spread the oil around. I find it works very well, can get into small spaces, and the brush is easy to clean.