Old Dvds

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by ReadWriteLearnLove • Apr 23, 2015.

1. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    What do you do with all your old DVDs? Through the years I've collected so many and now they just take up space on a shelf. I look at them and just see a lot of wasted money! I've given a lot of them away, especially the kid movies that I know we won't watch anymore. I have donated several too. There used to be some websites that would buy DVDs and BluRays, but I can't seem to find any now. Honestly, with streaming and netflix and on-demand, I can't remember the last time we even watched a DVD in our house. I'm not even sure the DVD player even works anymore!

2. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that's the wrong way to go about it. I mean, everything you'd buy would have to be wasted money, if you took it that way. :) Other than food and other necesary stuff, of course. But yeah, my old stuff is just sitting at home, doing nothing. I don't have an optical drive anymore. I'm too lazy to throw it out, but one day, when I'll have nothing to do, I'll do just that.

3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I am still a DVD collector, and I love looking at the piles of DVDs I have at home. Well, I don't think I'll ever throw them away because I consider them as my prized possessions. :D Plus, I have already invested too much money on them.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    If there is a word for the the "opposite of a hoarder" it is me. I am constantly decluttering and getting rid of things. I have 4 children, so it is far too easy to fall into the "save it" trap and find that the attics and closets are more full than anything.

I simply don't believe it takes a lot of stuff to be content.

That said, the only DVD's we currently have are the ones our kids will watch. When they outgrow them, I give them away. I will probably save the classics (anything Disney, all the Charlie Brown movies, and the Scholastic Book collection), but everything else will be given away or donated. Of course, by the time I have grandkids, I assume something better will have come along and my DVD's will again be obsolete. Hah. Maybe they will turn into collectors items.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I just have them stacked on the shelf. The time for making any money out of them has long passed. I could probably only get 50p each for them at most. I do watch some occasionally anyway so it's nice to have them incase I want to watch them in the future.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I hold onto a handful of them for those rare occasions where I might need a DVD (like at a family gathering with kids where they have a DVD player instead of Netflix, etc).

Otherwise, I just donate them. I don't need to keep many and fortunately, I never purchased that many either.

7. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I sometimes sell them on ebay or amazon. You can get rid of the clutter and make some extra cash that way. If I have a yard sale I put them in a bucket and sell them for $1.50 each. It's a price that is low enough to get people to snatch them all up.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the DVD's have been donated. The children dvd's were the first to go now that they are only interested in games with the Xbox or PS systems. I have never really been into purchasing movies, these are my daughters which I will start to slowly start to move out of the house for the space they take up can be used for something else.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't do anything special with our old DVD's. Most of the old ones used to stay in the garage, until we got it converted late last year. Now, they are all out in the shed. Out in the back garden. The old/newish DVD's that we have stay in a bookcase in our living room. Nobody really watches them. But they look good where they are lol.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it's possible to sell your old DVDs but you need to spend a couple of minutes each day posting ads on Craiglist. Sure there's no guarantee that you'll sell any of them but placing an ad on Craiglist won't cost you a dime.

And there are some places where you can sell your old DVDs online:

11. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You might also want to sell them. Sure some of those could count as a souvenir stuff for those who are fanatics. Don't waste that opportunity. You can sell some of them through Ebay. And through time they'd be treasures for some. Wait until it happens and then sell it.

12. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely buy DVDs so I keep them. I really don't want to part with them. I'm not really a hoarder, but I regularly watch my DVDs. I might sell them in the future, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

13. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Mine are sorted on a shelf, and I don’t have too many. I don’t watch them as often as I used to, though, since my laptop has no drive. But I don’t particularly want to part with most of them as I do still have a player. Those I do want to part with, I'll probably sell on Decluttr along with loads of CDs I no longer listen to.

14. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I have them all sitting on my shelf, I don't regret buying them though because I watch them over and over again. I hope that one day when I have children, they'll be able to enjoy the movies as well. I have both a dvd and blu ray player and I enjoy looking at my collection. There are a select few that I had gotten as gifts that I'm looking to give away or sell, but for the most part, I'm a huge Disney fan and most of my dvds are all Disney and of course Harry Potter. ^.^' I personally don't think its a waste of money as long as I watch them over again.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband used to be an avid DVD collector, but we now download most shows and movies. When we had too many, some of which were just atrocious, we sold some on eBay and donated the rest to charity.

16. DukeMadThane

DukeMadThaneMember

Threads:
    I have a small collection of dvds, maybe a hundred or so, but I haven't had a tv in years. I still hold on to them because I have an emotional attachment to them. I will get a tv again eventually and enjoy them again. In the meantime, I use my laptop and tablet as a tv for streaming mostly Korean dramas and anime.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have kept most of my old DVDs. I used to re-watch movies frequently but work has got the better of me so I barely have time to look into them again. I'm not about to throw them out anytime soon. If they still function as well as they should, I see no reason to dispose of them. I've stacked my DVDs on top of my bookshelf for easy access. Besides, I also have a habit of burning movies or large files to DVD-Rs so all the more reason to keep everything intact.

18. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I have something like five or six DVDs to my name, so they're just sitting in a box somewhere, and that's how I'll keep things for the foreseeable future. I never saw the point in having a large DVD collection because content is always available online, and then there are other ways to acquire TV shows and movies online.

19. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only keep ones that are classics or that I want to watch again. I donate any that I don't think I'll watch again, but only buy ones now that I really am interested in.

Most of my friends are happy to have them and they then pass them onto other people so I feel they aren't wasted and end up in a good home.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've given away or lost most of them but I'm okay with it since I wouldn't have had the patience to sell them even if I did still have them now anyway. The only thing I really regret is that some of those discs had extra features I liked but these days I could probably find those elsewhere anyway, and if not I could just buy them again in Bluray form since it's much better quality.