Old jeans - patch again?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Strykstar • Aug 26, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I have this old pair of jeans that are very comfortable, but they are getting a bit too worn in the crotch area, usually I'd just patch them with a plain iron-on patch but for this particular pair I've already done this, can I simply apply another one or should I just give up on these jeans?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if you feel that they are beyond repair why don't you just wear them indoors or while working around the house? This way you prologue their life some more and don't have to buy casual clothes to wear in the house - so you end up with saved money and clothes you love :) You can even cut them down and make a pair of shorts!

3. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    You could try patching them and see what you think. If you like the jeans then there is no reason why you shouldn't give it a go. As the person above says, you could also just wear them casually around the home. If nobody would see you in them then it doesn't really matter what they look like. It might also be worth pricing up a pair of new jeans. You are saving money if you patch them once, but sometimes it's easier just to treat yourself to a new pair, especially if it might be difficult for you to repair the ones that you already have.

4. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    LOl, I had this similar issue with a pair of jeans of mine, I sewed them several times and it still has opened up after washing, and I probably need to iron on a patch now. But I just use them to wear around the house now. I say if they're your favorite pair of pants you could patch them as long as they don't look to raggedy to wear out in public.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The suggestions above are good ones. If you decide to try and patch I suggest you patch the inside of the area where the material has frayed as well as the outside, that way the patch has something to hold on to and will be stronger. Good Luck.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the pants still don't look odd with those iron on patches, then go ahead and do so, just make sure it won't suddenly break open especially when you are in public. :D

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I understand your sentiments about it being your favorite so it might be hard to let go, but if it were me I'd maybe give it another shot but in the background I'll also be searching for a new potential favorite. I know it can be hard to find new jeans with the same fit and cloth material, but hopefully with enough searching you'd be able to find something similar.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It all depends how attached you are to them, and whether a new patch of material in the crotch area is going to bother you or not. Personally, I don't mind patches on my jeans, just not on my bottom or crotch area. I am inclined to buy a new pair and keep the worn-out jeans for wearing around my home.

9. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Please throw these jeans away or recycle them into something else like a cute pillow. I have found that after the first patch, follow-up ones rarely work well. Also, other areas of the jeans start to fall apart too.

Example . . .
    jean-pillow2.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have jeans like that, and they are my favorite pair. I have had difficulty finding an iron on patch but I think I will look in a fabric store. They have to have one don't they?? It is a law or something I think lol.

11. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with patching them on the inside, it would draw less attention to the crotch area. Also making them around the house weekend type jeans sounds like a great way to keep wearing a favourite pair of jeans. It sometimes takes a long time to break in a pair of jeans to that point and it would shame to stop wearing them.

12. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes, an old beaten up pair of jeans with lots of patches can look great. Then again, patching from the inside would be a good solution too. You'd need to decide whether you wanted the stitching to show through on the outside or would you prefer to use a fabric glue to make the patch less visible.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Jeans are not an expensive piece to justify patching them up. I think patched up or reformed jeans just look really ugly and old. It is so hard to make jeans look good again once it's worn out... I just prefer getting new pairs of jeans. Mine actually don't last that much, so I'm always buy new ones.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband has only 1 pair of jeans but it is not the blue denims but the khaki. When the butts developed a hole due to overuse, he didn't want to dispose of it so he went the repair shop and had it patched. He said that he is sentimental to his pants particularly the old once that served him for more than 5 years (but I guess that khaki jeans was more than 10 years in his possession).