Old Shows And Movies You Can Watch With Kids

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Apr 26, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have a niece and a nephew, so it gets a bit difficult when picking out movies we can watch together due to them both having different interests. Obviously, one likes more girly things and one prefers more action, and some family movies do balance these out fairly well, especially the modern 3D ones.

However, I'm growing very tired of 3D animated movies and would rather watch 2D cartoons or even live action ones. The only problem is that the older movies tend to be a bit slower and it bores the kids who are more used to modern pacing. A few exceptions to these are the old Disney 2D cartoons like Little Mermaid, which is still very well paced even by today's standards, but other than that I haven't been having much luck finding much else.

Anyone here have good old shows or movies you are able to watch with your kids? Please share your suggestions here!

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any kids, but The Lion King, Finding Nemo, Cars, and Kung Fu Panda were great movies that I enjoyed, both as an adult and as a kid. You can also watch The Parent Trap and Freaky Friday, both are kid-friendly movies.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've watched a number of animations and would highly recommend most of the old Disney movies. I watched them with some kids and they enjoyed them: Tarzan, Mowgli, The Little Mermaid, etc.

For old movies, you need to find comedies that have some action like Home Alone, Denis The Menace, Matilda [which isn't that old], The Problem Child [such kind of movies].

And you could also try The Sound of Music.

4. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Obviously Mary Poppins should ge ta mention.

I am a big fan of old British sitcoms and I have turned my 6 year old niece into one of them, We watch Steptoe & Son together and she even quotes it at school. :)

5. Wolfhyrr

WolfhyrrNew Member

Threads:
    Some of the old gems from my childhood still do the trick. Neverending Story, Faun's Labyrinth, Mathilda, The Prince of Egypt.

And of course, try Disney =)

6. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    Oh, you hit my memory pool with that second row. Home alone and Denance The Menance were CLASSICS. My childhood was all over the series for Home Alone and Denace was just a great classic (even the comic strips were funny...) Kids seem to respond well to seeing other children about their age play such roles. Both of the main kids in this movie were very intelligent and could use comedy to set up their genius "traps" and schemes. I didn't see Mitilda until maybe 3 years ago...sad truth. Great though.

Netflix has some good things on there. People listed most of the worthwhile things, but when it comes to shows, who doesn't want to know about the cool things inside of the body. Magic School Bus, anyone? =p Or if one wants action with a similar platform, there is Osmosis Jones. Animated cartoon and movie version with the classic actor Bill Murry and other known names.

7. Adrean J

Adrean JNew Member

Threads:
    Netflix and Hulu have lots of choices when it comes to kid movies. We have picked some randomly and have had success. The other day my 8 year old daughter and I watched 3 pigs and a baby, which was pretty clever and funny. It is also a good idea to visit some of the underrated classics that don't get too much mainstream attention, like The Jungle Book, Home on the Range, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

8. outdoorgal

outdoorgalMember

Threads:
    I just watched Pollyanna again, for the umteenth time, and I'm 61, but still a kid at heart. I think a movie like that would interest even kids today. I know what you mean about fast-paced, everything is so different, but good classics that still relate to today I think they might enjoy. I also just watched The Parent Trap with Haley Mills. She was just fun to watch and listen to with her, little accent:)

What about some of the Star Trek movies, I've watched a couple of the older ones, as well as a new one, and yes, the new one was good, but I think the older ones like Star Trek, The Movie, and The Wrath of Khan, really a lot of action, and fun as well.

PS Also thought about movies about animals, kids usually do love animals, and movies like Tomasina, Savage Sam, and Tonka, great flics!

#8Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014