Old technology/products you miss

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by mistymi • Apr 3, 2014.

1. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I wish LCD monitors were still available. LED is too bright for me even on the lowest settings and almost all of them use PWM, which is a flickering used to control brightness. BenQ makes flicker free monitors and they are the only ones that don't cause me discomfort. I can't use my tablet because of PWM too.

Wired, simple optical mouses. Almost all the office mouses I see in store are wireless or have extra buttons. I preferred the simple wired mouses of before. I order my mouses online now and hope my old favorites won't disappear forever.

I also miss owning physical games.

2. yossup

yossupMember

Threads:
    Strangely enough, I actually miss cassette tapes. There was a certain allure to plopping a cassette tape into a player and you'd know if you used one before that the sound that emits from a cassette tape player is distinctively different from that of a mp3 player or even a cd player. It's that sound quality that I really miss. Of course, the benefits of mp3 players outweigh this benefit but still, it'd be nice to be able to listen to recordings that have that style.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I hadn't given it a lot of thought and when I looked at the title of your post I didn't think I missed anything. You reminded me, however, that I miss having software of my own on disks/ cds/ dvds. There is a nice feeling to being able to put a piece of software in your computer and installing it yourself. I really dislike games today as they involve upwards of 10gig of data transfer to install. If ever I need to reinstall, I have to spend hours re-downloading. So, YES, I miss owning games (and other software) as well.

4. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say I miss the old tape player like the VCR where we use to keep a tape collection. Now days all the movies are combined on the little dvd which is great for space, but every now and then an old movie that you cant find on dvd would be great to watch. I still have several.

5. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to agree with some of the posts and say that i really do miss the good old tapes. I used to have a large collection of tapes and i dont really know when i stopped listening to them and how. I also would have to say that i miss listening in on the radio to try and record my favourite songs onto tape. That was a really fun time in my life.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    CD's man, I miss 'em. I mean, yes it's a pain in the butt (quite literally) to bring a CD with you, but I love the feeling of holding a physical copy of an album in your hands, gives you that feel of 'possession'. And also, I love looking at the album arts and the papers that comes with it. I know CD's aren't dead yet, but in this day and age, buying them just doesn't seem convenient anymore.

7. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    There is no way I can miss old technology. It was really whack I do not think there is something that I can miss. I hope am not being too harsh to some people who love the old technology. I love the current technology and would not wish to go back.

8. AB9100

AB9100Member

Threads:
    I don't miss any of the older technology.

I am extremely proud, and satisfied with the technological advancements of today. I look back in complete disbelief. I cannot believe we have come some far. I cannot imagine my life without my modern gadgets. I do not know how i survived back then. The technology of those days seem very boring now.

I am even more excited for the future. Who knows what developers will produce next.

9. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    I miss CDs. Yes, I still buy all my music on them, but I miss the days when record stores were much more prevalent. FYE is a cool store and all, but all the ones near me are so tiny. There used to be a huge one in a mall about 15 mins from where I lived, but they downsized dramatically last summer.

10. thephantom638

thephantom638New Member

Threads:
    I don't miss any old technology. I am satisfied with the current technology we have at our disposal and I look forward to the technology of the future and what that has to offer. I prefer the advancement of technology rather than the opposite (going back and using technology that is outdated and has either been made obsolete or improved) because modern technology seems to work better all, if not most of the time.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Really? You actually miss the inferior sound of cassette tapes? I used to buy those during the 90's and the early 2000's, and I must say that there are 2 kinds of cassette tapes. The 1st one is the one with a decent, stereo, FM-like sound, and the other one is the mono, AM-sounding one. But both are still inferior when you compare them to a cd. I also hated pressing rewind or fast-forward repeatedly when I was addicted to a certain song! Thank God for cds!

Anyway, I also don't miss any of the old technology, since they are so primitive if you compare them to the technology that we have now. However, I do miss the qwerty or keypad phones since I hate typing on touch screen phones.

12. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    I really miss the old Windows 95 start up sound. Also while I know there are ways to emulate it nothing will ever quite be like booting up the original Doom in dos, typing in the command prompt, having the blackscreen load up and then the title screen in wonderful soundblaster audio. Now that I think about it I REALLY miss soundblaster video cards, I can't imagine playing Doom with the midi music.

13. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I've kind of missed Fax machines because I find it pretty cool that you can put a page in one end and it comes out the other. Even if we have much more advanced technology, nothing really beats watching paper magically come out another printer.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I miss renting and buying physical media most of all. It was always very fun for me to browse through music stores or video stores to look at media and decide which ones I'd be picking up that day. Although, I honestly don't think I'd be willing to give up today's convenience just for the nostalgic charm. I just miss them, but I still consider our current method to be more practical.

15. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    Yes, I totally agree with you, the new LED monitors cause me discomfort when I use it took long, due to the colder colours and 'feels more bright' than the old CCFL backlit LCD displays. I think that the LED is fine with laptops and mobiles when you won't be using them for a prolonged period of time, but on a desktop they are considerably worse.
    I also miss CD's as they offer music quality that no MP3's today can match, when I listen to music I always have to try and find lossless formats, and most of the time the only ones I can find is the MP3s that are very poor in sound quality, missing out the backing music/beat sometimes due to the lack of detail and clarity.

16. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I miss game cartridges - the big bulky kind, like the old Nintendo and Super Nintendo had. I know that the Nintendo DS and 3DS are still using cartridges but I don't like them, they're too small. I'm a game collector and I already have plenty of those big game cartridges but I sure wish some new games were released. Alas, we're in the age of digital distribution now, we're lucky to still be able to buy DVDs.

17. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I miss those old mobile phones that are very user-friendly. I really miss the Nokia 3310 and 3210 models. Boy, those were really sturdy! I had one when I was in elementary until highschool. It lasted for a long time! I sometimes hate the way mobile phones are made nowadays. They are so complicated and require a lot of applications to work properly.

18. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I miss being able to buy a simple mobile phone. One that all you can do is call and text on (not even text in some cases), that only hold ten text messages, and that the battery lasts on for years. I remember only having to top up my phone every few months, £10 each time, and it worked fine for me. Now, because my phone can do all sorts of things, I use them, and I definitely pay for them as well which I'm not too happy about. The things that technology can do these days is astonishing, but I sometimes feel that the big companies need to remember that there is a place for simplicity, too.

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I miss listening to radio and being able to record a song that I like that only that station plays. I still have a tape player, it is old but I refuse to get rid of it, I have tapes that I plan to save on my pc to make them mp3 but if the computer crashes I lose my songs and lectures

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still buy wired optical mice, wired keyboards, CD's and physical games. I like the feeling of owning physical media in a lossless format. I hate digital downloaded games because you're paying $30 for something on a screen, not an actual disc that you possess and can resell.