Old towel nappies vs the new modern diapers

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by nhsososo4 • Oct 15, 2013.

1. nhsososo4

nhsososo4Member

Threads:
    Hi guys, I am about to be a new mom and I am struggling to make decisions on certain thing, one of them being to use either old traditional towel nappies or the new diapers. Several friend of mine have told me that baby diapers like pampers, huggies are the in thing and the good thing about them you need not wash them though they are more expensive of course they will save me time, which is what I really do not have as I am still a postgrad student and also highly convenient. My mom on the other hand believes that kids, at least for the 1st year should be on proper towel nappies, they are cost effective, keep the baby warm and kids are protected on them, how I do not know please do not ask :).

Now I want to know does it really make a difference which one I go with, please exclude the time and money factor those I can deal with, but are there any other reasons or things that I need to consider when it comes to baby nappies/ diapers?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My oldest was constantly getting infections from them. They're full of chemicals. Brand new skin shouldn't be anywhere near that stuff. Not all babies will react to them like that, they just adjust to it better,.. they're still not the healthiest thing to put on new skin that gets wet a lot. I used diapers on both of my children and really wish I hadn't. It's a personal choice though.. each has their pros and cons.

3. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I used Huggies and Pampers for my first 3 kids. Then along came number 4 and I did cloth diapers. I'm so glad I did! So much cheaper, so much cuter... yeah, you have to wash them. But it didn't bother me. It's better for the environment, better for the baby's skin, and better on my wallet. Win-win-win! Honestly, there are so many cute ones out there! You get addicted.

4. nhsososo4

nhsososo4Member

Threads:
    I see from the two replies that there are more pros for the towel nappies than pampers or huggies. Funny enough I have bought those two brands already as well as they are advertised as the best in the market. My supervisor though did also mention that, diapers, the chemicals used are a bit harsh on the baby at times, hence you are even advised not to even have wet wipes in your first month, and practically use all non scented products either in aqueous cream form or Vaseline.

I think I will need to buy a few towel nappies, have them both and see how it goes. Who know, maybe when I am at home I might use the towel nappies and then when we are going out, or on vacation then I can use the diapers. I will try both and see how it goes. Thank you ladies, my eyes have been opened on other things as well now.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Congratulations by the way! Totally forgot to mention the biggest part lol. Enjoy motherhood.. best thing that will ever happen to you :)

6. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yeah, you can totally use both! And by the way, if you're going to go that route, Luvs are great too.

7. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't understand why people use the ones that you have to wash, if you are buying disposable ones and they are giving your child problems then I suggest you take a look at the brand you are buying. I have psoriasis and there are certain cleaning products that I can not use on my skin because it makes it flare up.

8. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    All of my family and relatives used pampers on their children and no one had a problem with them. I feel like it could be a good idea to look into more sensitive skin style brands when there comes a day when you simply have no time to wash the diapers. I have always looked at diapers as something that's meant to be disposable.

9. yellowbird

yellowbirdMember

Threads:
    When I was pregnant I highly underestimated the convenience factor when it came to cloth vs/ diposable diapers. I thought I might want to try the former, but after I had my son, I'm very glad that we opted for disposable diapers because it is one less thing to worry about while there is already so much on my plate!

10. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    I wanted to use cloth diapers when I was pregnant with my first child. But I have to admit that I gave in to the convenience and ease of disposables! The important thing is just to make sure your baby is clean and dry and to enjoy every minute of being a new mommy! I did have some cloth ones that I used when money was tight, so just go with both options.

11. nhsososo4

nhsososo4Member

Threads:
    Hi guys I am a mother to a beautiful baby boy, he is 16 days old now and is the cutest thing I have ever seen. I have opted to use both the towel and pampers nappies. I must say, I am using them for different purposes though but they both really do play a huge role in a baby's life.

I am feeling blessed that I have that option of choosing them both as some people do not have that luck. The towel nappies are mostly to put the baby on when I am washing him as it is easier to wash them than big strong towels. They both bring convenience in different ways but I feel having them both is the best option.