On Green Thumbs And Gardening

Discussion in Home & Garden started by gracer • Jan 26, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I wonder if you guys believe in the term "green thumb" but most of the people around me believe in such a word. My husband is one of those people who has a green thumb. Everything he plants usually grow big and healthy from fruit trees to flowers and vegetables. He has the making of a good gardener. I on the other hand don't have the skills to tend a garden, I don't have a green thumb as they say. lol :)

I remember one time my husband planted tomato seedlings in front of our yard and they grew into a healthy plant. We were able to enjoy the ripe tomatoes it produced and of course I'm really happy about it because we didn't have to buy them from the market anymore. So I tried my skills in taking care of that plant every single day. I watered it and made sure that there were no weeds or anything else that would prevent it from growing. The sad thing but well expected though was that the tomato eventually withered. Maybe I really didn't have the skills but yeah, the plant died under my care. :confused:

Do you guys also use the term "green thumb" for someone you know has excellent gardening skills? What are your experiences with this?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't believe that some people are better than others when it comes to gardening. Just as with anything all it takes is learning how everything is done and if you do it right everyone will also think you have a green thumb.

Supposing you had no choice but to grow some veggies would one failure hold you back? No. You'd find out what others do (right), apply what you learn and try again.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As someone who has been gardening for as long they can remember and also someone who has been growing all their own produce - fruit, nuts, vegetables and herbs for well over 12 years - no I don't believe in the concept of the “ green thumb “ being a natural talent or gift for growing things - for the simple reason - that not only did I have to do plenty of research as well as learn through trial and error in order to achieve that - but as there is always something new to learn each season - gardening is very definitely a life long learning process.

So yes - I too strongly believe that everyone has the ability and talent to grow things if they really want to - as just like any other skill - although our first attempts may result in failure - we usually learn from our mistakes - which is not only how we improve - but what makes us better at what we do - as we are continually learning.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :)There are some plants that just won't grow when I take care of them. Yet other plants grow well. I have a little pot plants of herbs. I like broad leaf plantain for tea and grow my own and dry it in my refrigerator a natural dehydrator and have tea all the time! I grow aloe too and they both thrive unlike the purple velvet plant that just withers and dies on me.:(

5. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I use the term, but I don't actually believe someone is born with a green thumb. Gardening is a skill that you learn through trial and error.

6. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I always joke that I have a "brown thumb" but the reality of the situation is that I don't put in the right amount of time researching and tending to plants once I get them planted. I'm sure if I devoted more time to learning about my zone, the makeup of the soil, and the types of plants I attempt to grow, I would do a lot better than I do now. I tend to like to grow "easy" plants that require little maintenance because I know my life gets busy and the plants get neglected.

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I use the term "green thumb" to refer to a friend of mine who can grow anything. She can grow indoor plants, her Christmas cactus flowers every year, where I can never get mine to bloom. I ask her how she does it and she claims she doesn't do anything special, but of course a "green thumb" would think that. I am really impressed with what she can grow and her knowledge of plants. I turn to with questions all the time but I still have trouble growing certain plants in my garden.

8. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    When I think of people with a 'green thumb,' I immediately think of my grandmother and grandfather. Each year, my grandfather would grow not one, but two huge vegetable gardens that ran the entire length of his backyard. Each year, no matter how poor the weather was or what pests came to his yard, he managed to have the most beautiful produce. He grew large, juicy strawberries, tomatoes, corn, pumpkins, green beans, peas, raspberries, and other vegetables. My grandmother would freeze or can the produce that they did not use or give away.

While my grandfather focused on the vegetable gardens, my grandmother would spend a lot of time gardening in her multiple flower beds scattered throughout the yard. Her flowers grew to their fullest potential every year. She would often have to split up and divide perennial plants that were growing so healthily, and she would give away extra plants or start a new flower bed with the extras. Peonies, roses, irises, daffodils, tulips, and bleeding heart were just some of the many different types of flowers she had blooming throughout her yard each year.

The time, effort, and care that my grandparents put into their gardening are a part of what made them 'green thumb' gardeners. Their knowledge and experience also contributed to their success in gardening. When I work in my gardens I reflect back on everything they taught me about gardening. I will always look back fondly and remember their beautiful gardens from when I was a child!

9. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    You're so lucky to have fond memories of your grandparents. I think memories of grandparents are one of the sweetest a person can ever have. :) My husband's grandfather also had the same love for gardening as your grandparents. he also had numerous kinds of fruits and vegetables on their yard but sadly they also disappeared when he died because no one in his family had the same passion for gardening as him.

10. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We actually have a garden with a malunggay tree, tomato plant, papaya tree and mango tree plus some others I can't remember. I'm not the one who grew these plants, it's my MIL. So I guess she has the green thumb in the family.

The anti-green thumb is my uncle who ruined the garden. Now, the grass is not to be seen. Plants have died and overall, the garden looks terrible. All because he handled it.

Lol, let's see what my MIL will say when she gets home. It will be quite a thing to watch. Hahahaha.