On heavy use, how long does your phone's battery last?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by deathbyprayer • Aug 12, 2014.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    On both of my phones, Galaxy and iPhone, I think I can haul an average of 3 to 5 hours of battery life on heavy use, be it browsing the internet, watching movies and playing games. How long does your battery last? I'm afraid I have to change my batteries soon.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a Galaxy and Android phone, and both of them last about a day if I use the internet and GPS navigation around the city.
    I always make sure that they are fully recharged every night, so that I don't end up with an empty battery before I get back home.
    As I live in a new city, I heavily rely on google maps and GPS navigation to find my way around. That's what mostly drains the life of my phones.

3. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Sony Xperia SP and with my normal usage my battery usually lasts 1.5 to 2 days, but if I constantly use it, it takes around 10 hours to use up all the battery. It also depends on where I am, because if I'm out in the mountains the battery drain is a bit higher, because of the worse signal.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I browse the internet using my phone non-stop, it usually lasts for about 4 hours. I don't know what happened with my battery but when the phone was about a couple of months old, it would last for about 8 hours. Several OS updates later, its battery life was cut in half. I don't know if it's just wear and tear or if it's the OS that's the problem.

Because of this, I always bring my charger with me so that when my battery dips to about 40%, I immediately plug it to an electrical socket.

5. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I love streaming videos on my phone. I usually watch 1-hour videos, and I manage to watch about 4-5. So that translates to 4-5 hours of battery life. However, I stop using my phone before the battery drops to 15%.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I noticed that it depends on the unit. If I'm surfing the net non-stop, then it usually lasts for only 4 to 6 hours. But on this other phone it lasts up to almost a day even when I'm also browsing and reading online. I think battery life also depends on the phone model and firmware version.

7. BoomSchroasted

BoomSchroastedNew Member

Threads:
    I have an iPhone 5s. Depending on how I am using it, the battery will usually last between 6-10 hours a day. I will commonly browse Twitter or play Clash of Clans when I am not on wifi. When I do this, the battery will only last about 6-7 hours.

If I am using it frequently throughout the day to text, check my emails, check Twitter, it will last longer. Typically, being connected to Wifi will increase battery life.

8. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    I'm lucky if mine lasts 5 hours of heavy usage. Though I don't play any games and mostly use my phone for occasional text messages or calls, so usually the battery lasts until the evening. Yes, I charge my phone every evening. I still carry a charger (it's not that big or heavy) with me at all times!

9. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    My iPhone battery lasts about 8 hours with heavy use. My heavy use normally includes video games, e-mails and home movies. During this period, the life of my battery drops down to about 13%. Then, I recharge it again.

I thought about buying another gadget to extend the battery life, but instead, I tried to reconfigure my iPhone to use less of the battery. Check out

#9Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  10. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can get around 9 hours of gaming done on my phone without much trouble. The battery will be pretty low by then, but it still lasts about 15 to 20 hours on normal usage. The HTC One M7 has a decent sized battery and offers great performance mixed with quality battery life. That's why I didn't upgrade to the M8 or a different phone. I like the predictable battery life I get now.

11. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    I have an iPhone 4S, it's 2 years old and the battery is not as good as it used to be. I am lucky to get 3 hours use if I am using it the whole time. Also it has started dying at around 30% battery left, this is a sign that it will not last much longer I am sure.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The iPhone 4S has a very simple battery replacement process, and you can acquire a kit, including battery and necessary tools, to do the replacement yourself for about $15 or so. You screw off the back plate with the tool, remove the battery and swap the new one in. There are only a couple small steps in between that, and you could have a fresh new phone with great battery life once again in minutes.

13. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Nexus 5, hard to say, but maybe 4 hours of HEAVY use.
    Fortunately, I'm not using it like a TV / computer screen the whole time so it tends to last the whole day for me on basic use. It was horrendous though when I first got it and found out it was the location service that was really eating away at battery life. After turning that off things improved quite a bit.

Overall though, can't say I'm entirely pleased with the battery life. Hard to complain on a bargain of a phone like a Nexus though.

14. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm still using my old iPhone 4 for gaming and depending on the game, it can average lasts for 6 to 8 hours under heavy usage. I actually don't prefer to use it for a prolonged time because it gets kinda hot. If I just leave it idle, it can stay on for more than 48 hours without having to charge. My battery came with the phone so it's really old, a new battery may lasts even longer.

15. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm probably one of the last people on the planet that doesn't own a smart phone and the kind of phone I use is not all the fancy so the battery life lasts a long time. I mean I can go like 2 days without charging it. My brothers phone on the other hand has to be charged every other minute, and its of course a smart phone.

16. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I have a nokia lumia 720 and its known to have a comparatively better battery life than its android counterparts, but then too, with a heavy usage, its battery lasts for about 6-7 hours. Although when I dont use it non stop, it lasts a day easily.

17. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    I think my phone lasts about half a day on heavy interval use but on continues heavy use, well it doesn't last that long. I think I can only pump out 3-5 hours of watching movie, internet browsing and playing games on my phone. But I think it depends on what type of phone you have, usually phones with higher specs requires more power hence draining the battery much faster.

18. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    My Galaxy S4 lasts about 5-6 hours of heavy use and by heavy use I mean just browsing the internet. I'm not much of a tinkerer when it comes to phones and I don't really use my phone as my main portable entertainment system. But I think if I play games on my phone it would probably just be under 3 to 5 hours of use. On average my phone lasts about a whole day or even 2 days without plugging it in. That's with minimal to medium use. Making phone calls, texting and occasional use of the internet.