On Window Shopping

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by gracer • Feb 10, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Hi guys! :)

I've just been at the shopping center today window shopping for a new washing machine. My old washing machine has been having a lot of problems lately and I think no amount of repair could make it work the way it used to so I really need a new one. Since I don't have any idea on how much they cost nowadays, I decided to go out and window shop first so I'd know how much I would need to buy one.

Do you guys also window shop first before buying anything or do you just go straight ahead and buy at once? How do you find window shopping, is it enjoyable or just a waste of time?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Totally agree - shopping around comparing specifications, fully researching and looking for the best deals to ensure that you get the best value for money is a smart move - when considering buying anything but especially so when it comes to big ticket items.

However - apart from trudging round the stores window shopping purely for the sake of it - being something that I don't particularly enjoy or to be more precise - have a strong dislike of - as I also live a considerable distance from any stores or shopping malls - the majority of my window shopping or research is generally done online - as for me - not only is it less hassle, easier and quicker - but way cheaper too.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If I had time to think about it or wait for a promo to come around I will wait for it as much as I can help it. I tend to look up general prices online first then I go to the physical stores to compare and see where I should make my purchase. After that I weigh the pros and cons of either option and think about whether or not there are some promos I could wait for on either. Usually I would just wait for whichever option will give the most discount the soonest and if not I'd just go with where ever is cheaper.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's always a good idea to do some window shopping and even trying to bargain to see if you can get a better price for anything you intend to buy. That way you get to know where you will buy anything you intend to buy at the lowest price. I often do some window shopping on the eve of a buying anything expensive but I go out with no money so I won't be tempted to buy until I've visited most of the stores that stock what I want to buy.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is okay to do a little window shopping to get an idea of what is going on in the market. I don't spend a lot of time window shopping for my self. I also do not take money with me when I have no intention of shopping, it helps to keep the budget in tact.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really window shop physically much anymore. We have the internet thee days, and so I will much more likely spend a few weeks or even months stalking or researching an item before I can even think about feeling comfortable enough in my decision to purchase it. That is my version of window shopping.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the item breaks down suddenly and you use it everyday then there really is no time to window shop at that point, like when our rice cooker stopped working. My dad immediately bought one that day. If the item is not that of an "emergency item" like a washing machine then I think windows shopping before buying it would be ideal.

8. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I actually love window shopping! My husband complains that I spend such a long time looking for things I want to buy. The reality is, I love checking out products and spending my time in malls. I love just looking around and spotting bargains. I don't really buy the first item I see because I know there can be tons of products out there worth looking at.

Aside from that, I usually scour the internet for reviews and information about a brand or product. It's unlike me to just get into a shop and buy the first thing I see (which is what my husband usually does). And in the end, I won't be disappointed or sad because I know I got a product that's been scrutinised well. Lol.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely go window shopping online and brick and mortar too. I do my online window shopping first get a feel of how much and where etc..., then go out to brick and mortar window shopping. It's easier to go online first to see what's happening around town for the things I like to buy. I keep my eyes peeled on the television commercials too just in case there is a special sale like at Saint Patrick's celebration time sales and events too if it's the time that I go window shopping. Good luck on your new washing machine buying!:)

10. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I will usually use the internet to window shop versus going to several places before finding a good deal. I think it is easier to have all the information in one place and it saves me gas. Plus, I will not be tempted to buy other things if I am actually at the stores. So I guess window shopping online saves me money too.

11. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    I don't really have much time for window shopping, so I do a bit of "screen shopping" on my computer before I make a decision when it comes to acquiring something fundamental or essential to my home or life in general.
    After I had a good look around the internet, I usually well informed, and I head straight to the shop that might be carrying the item or product that I am interested in. Then comes the part when I ask the shop assistant a lot of questions until they (often) give me a discount. :)

12. Leah

LeahNew Member

Threads:
    I always research items, especially expensive items before buying, although, I prefer to do my shopping online. You can always find an honest review on most shopping sites. If you're any good at bargaining you could try to get a better deal if you're buying in the shop. Unfortunately, I've always been too shy to try this but I know it can happen so it's always worth a shot. When doing my shopping online I always check voucher sites to see what deals/money off coupons I can get. I think I love to research a bit too much but it does mean I'm never being ripped off with ridiculous prices.