One Direction vs The Backstreet Boys

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lindbergh • Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A lot of young ones are now going gaga over One Direction. Their cutesy lyrics and catchy tunes that stick to your head like glue are probably the major reasons why they rose to the top. Is it then fair to compare them to the Backstreet Boys? Who is better? Who is more successful?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think who is more successful is yet to be defined. The Backstreet Boys stuck around for quite a while, so I would say comparing them now they are more successful. However, if could be that 1D is able to maintain the crazy success they currently have.
    I loved the BSB, even though the 1D boys sing better and are cuter and more polished. However, as I'm not a teenager anymore as I was with the BSB, I would choose them!

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think Backstreet Boys had a lot more appeal and were more widely known. It's probably because they were a little older than 1D when they started, but the songs in general were much more well known, as even older folks back then knew at least one or a few of their songs. Nowadays, I don't think many older folks know of any 1D songs, so they might have a more specific audience and therefore probably are selling less albums.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    BSB was still more successful and had better songs than One Direction. I think that 1D is a lamer version of BSB. They're not as popular, and I never even liked any of their songs.

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate to admit this because I'm generally an alternative/rock kind of guy but I did love the songs of Backstreet Boys. Their songs are very catchy like I Want It That Way, Quite Playin' Games, and As Long As You Love Me. I also believe that they have a greater impact than One Direction. What about when it comes to talent? Who do you think is more talented?

6. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    Backstreet Boys all the way! I have liked Backstreet Boys for about 14 years, which is one of my favorite bands. All the guys in the Backstreet Boys bands are very good singers, which almost all of their music are emotional and have good lyrics.

7. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    I really like both bands, but there are few facts to clear up.

1. BSB had MUCH more talented singers. 1D sounds fun in the music videos, but if you listen to any of their live shows, they really struggle with holding notes, have limited range, and their harmonies are not nearly as tight. I think Liam is the only one who has any range at all, so then he has to sing all of the high notes.
    2. BSB didn't have the advantages of online purchasing when they were in their "crazy fan stage" back in the late 90s. 1D has exploded on iTunes - because it's there.
    3. 1D had to go on a TV talent show to even get created, and were fortunate enough to get backed by Simon Cowell. BSB made their own way and their exposure was through radio and MTV.
    4. Like stated above, BSB was older when they first started, so definitely they appealed to a more mature fan base. We have yet to see if 1D can hold it together if any times get rough, or if any of them decide they want to go solo.

In true retrospect (in 20 years maybe?), this question will be much easier to answer. 1D is definitely a frenzy, but BSB had its own version of frenzy in the late 90s. It just looked different because it wasn't all over Vevo. My money is on BSB outlasting 1D, but maybe 1D will surprise us in the end.

8. steisehodgson

steisehodgsonMember

Threads:
    It's really unfair to compare One Direction and the Backstreet Boys. The Backstreet Boys are older and have a lot more experience. It's better to compare One Direction and The Wanted etc. but.... Since the question was about 1D and BSB, I'll answer.

Backstreet Boys are on a whole different level. They are the biggest boy band, 1D can't compare to them. BSB has better voices. And they have been around for 20 years. I highly doubt 1D will be around for even 10.

1D do look up to BSB tho, and the Backstreet Boys admire 1D and has wished them the best and has given them advice on how to handle things and advice on how to try and stay together for as long as they have.

9. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    Both are terrible but Backstreet Boys actually had one decent songwriter and 2 or 3 of them could actually sing. One Direction doesn't even have that. Funny how the quality and the level of talent in popular music has fallen.

10. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I like the Backstreet Boys better. One Direction has looks and catchy songs, but I don't think they are better than the BSB. I loved them more and I have never really listened to any OD songs except when I hear them on the radio at the doctor's office. That has been the only time I listen to OD. I listened to BSB a lot when they came out because they had some really good songs and I liked their performances. I think that I will agree with an earlier post when they said "they were a lamer version of the Backstreet Boys".

11. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe it's nostalgia, but i still think that Backstreet boys are a lot better and more catchy with their songs. One direction is just... a boys group for girls. The Backstreet boys used to be what girls wanted to be with and the boys wanted to be like.

12. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I think that is right on point. Which you prefer seems to have a lot to do with when you grew up. I do not care for either. I barely know anything about One Direction and what I know of the Backstreet Boys has to do with my youth. What about NKOTB? Or N'Sync? Or 98 Degrees? It's all one big pile of the same. Managers with a formula that they followed and still do today.

13. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    I doubt there were a lot of guys out there who wanted to be like BSB. :p

14. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    The Backstreet Boys are a classic part of my childhood and after all these years I can still remember some of the lyrics. With that being said, I would pick The Backstreet Boys over One Direction. I've heard some of 1D's songs and I like them, but I noticed that even though you haven't heard the song before, you can somewhat figure out the next line of the song and I don't like songs like that.

15. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Personally I prefer BSB. One Direction is cheesy and not in the good way.
    I like a few BSB songs but they're mostly bland. However, I would pick them over One Direction 100 percent. I never cared if other people like them but I would always purposefully avoid them because to me they are the poor man's Jonas Brothers. I'm not really bitter towards them anymore since it's like crying over spilled milk now that the JB are broken up but I still don't like 1D.

I think BSB is more successful in a general sense. One Direction has more hype though because girls of that fandom are apparently as rabid as Beatles fans were in the 60s.

#15Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  16. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    When the Backstreet Boys were popular, I had this same conversation with my sister about how the Backstreet Boys and New Kids on the Block were the same 'group' just in different eras.

Although I would say that I think the Backstreet Boys were more popular in their prime than 1D is now. I can name maybe 3 one direction songs, and that's over the past 3 years. Seems like the Backstreet Boys put out 3 songs a month.

17. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    i agree. I have been a fan of Backstreet Boys ever since I came to the United States, which was about 14 years ago. I like most of their songs because they are emotional and warmhearted. I can't see myself liking other bands besides Backstreet Boys because they remind me of my old days.

18. tweety23

tweety23Member

Threads:
    Since One Direction has pretty much just started as a group, I don't think it would be fair to compare them to the Backstreet Boys just yet. But they are getting fairly popular at the moment, and they do have a couple of good songs out that I enjoy. It really just depends on how long they can stick around in the music business which will ultimately decide if they are in the same league or better than the Backstreet Boys in terms of success.

19. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Just listen to both of their songs and BSB is a clear winner. BSB's songs held more meaning for me as compared to One Direction's (no offense to OneD fans). I can't believe they're already starting out some documentary movie thing about their group and they only started their group recently.

20. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I was a die hard Backstreet Boys and Nsync fan!! I have nothing against One Direction because I like some of their songs but I have to go with the Backstreet Boys. I had all their albums, a ton of posters, loved their music videos, etc. One Direction really are not great live singers at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.